onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

World Cup 2018

Advert

Lukaku seems well up for it and inform be interesting to see how we set up against them especially if they win and we beat panama-

Lot of assumptions and guesswork here but it might actually be better for us to finish 2nd in the group.

If, as originally expected, Brazil and Germany both top their groups then one of them would be our potential Quarter-Final game (Brazil if we top our group, Germany if we're 2nd).

However, if Germany finish 2nd in their group after their loss to Mexico, then our potential Quarter-Final opponent for finishing 2nd in the group would be one of Switzerland/Mexico/Sweden.

(.....of course, all the above is assuming that we'd beat our last-16 opponents of Japan/Senegal/Poland/Colombia)!!

Getting ahead of ourselves there. Also we are guilty or shall I say I am guilty of looking at the likes of the 3 sides you quote and thinking they are easier games.

Swiss Drew with Brazil and have lost about 1 in 20.

Mexico beat Germany .

You have to take each game as it comes .

Still remember this is England, the past masters of failure.

Sitting here on the Med, it’s been pretty interesting seeing the reaction of fellow guests so far. The Swiss are really happy after their last result, the Italians just don’t want to talk about it, while Brits here are just pleased to have won even with a last minute goal. The ones with the longest faces though are the Germans not just because they lost their opener but also because they think they won’t beat Sweden. Really downbeat.

So the thought’s crossed my mind that another bad result might see them exit early and make the competition just that bit easier for us if we get through. Can’t ever think when that’s happened before but you never know 🙂

The ones with the longest faces though are the Germans not just because they lost their opener but also because they think they won’t beat Sweden. Really downbeat.

So the thought’s crossed my mind that another bad result might see them exit early and make the competition just that bit easier for us if we get through. Can’t ever think when that’s happened before but you never know

Not in a World Cup but they didn't get out of the group in both Euro 2000 (along with us!) and Euro 2004.

I remember sitting outside a Lisbon bar in 2004 and the whole area erupted in cheers from many nationalities as each goal went in against the Germans in their final group game to see them knocked out!

They've always done a tad better in World Cups though!

Belguim put Tunisia to the sword, but let's not forget that England could and should have been 5 up at half time themselves. They obviously have some fantastic players going forward, Belgium, and enough good players around him to make even Lukaku look a really good striker. But they like England are suspect at the back and England will get chances aplenty against them if they play well on the day.

Belguim put Tunisia to the sword, but let's not forget that England could and should have been 5 up at half time themselves. They obviously have some fantastic players going forward, Belgium, and enough good players around him to make even Lukaku look a really good striker. But they like England are suspect at the back and England will get chances aplenty against them if they play well on the day.
I agree.... but will they take them.... we can only hope so

I'd agree with that apart from I think Lukaku is a good striker, powerful and a handful. He's just the sort who could give our central defence a hard time.

Is this the same Tunisia who less than a week ago were being lauded on these pages as a good, competitive side?

You just know Germany will come good.

Absolutely brilliant finish.

very lucky germany but a great quality finish under pressure, but Sweden should have got over the line, that forward that shot at goal in stoppage time should have just turned towards the corner flag and ended up going all the way back to his own goal or holding it up plus the defender that gave away the freekick should have just ran alongside then on the free kick said to me mrs treat it like a corner and cover the back post it was the only place he could put it and boy he didn't half find it

Not in a World Cup but they didn't get out of the group in both Euro 2000 (along with us!) and Euro 2004.

I remember sitting outside a Lisbon bar in 2004 and the whole area erupted in cheers from many nationalities as each goal went in against the Germans in their final group game to see them knocked out!

They've always done a tad better in World Cups though!

Well that last minute goal was a sickener - poor defending by the Swedes but the Germans here went mental. The Italian waiters wanted Sweden to win because they’d knocked out Italy but it was not to be 🙁

Archived