onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

World Cup 2018

Just ten days to go before the tournament kicks off with the opening match match between Russia and Saudi Arabia.

Not many will give England a chance against the likes of Brazil and Argentina from South America and the European big-boys of Germany,France and Spain.Getting out of the group won't be easy for England but we live in hope.

Makes you wonder how strong the German side is when they can afford to leave Leroy Same at home?

Advert

Will we win it? Probably not. Can we win it? Of course it's possible, we just need a bit of luck along the way. I certainly don't subscribe to the thinking that we should give up and prepare for 2022 instead. It's 11 v 11 - it's perfectly possible that we could do well, luck out by Germany or Brazil being knocked out early unexpectedly and who knows, we might even win a penalty shoot out at some point ;-)

I certainly don't think we should regard getting out of the group as a success, Belgium are no great shakes despite their high world ranking and we don't even need to finish above them to get out of the group.

There have been 13 World Cups since and including 1966 when we won it. Our next best performance was Semi Finals in 1990. Lets be honest we are a quarter final team, anything beyond that history tells us is an over performance. I stopped hoping for another win before the South African tournament , 50 years of hurt. Glad I lowered my expectations as the England team certainly didn't disappoint. At least I can remember our only triumph, 8 years old at the time. Will of course be watching the tournament but no longer with high hopes.

If we play as a team, have our fair share of luck and Harry Kane has a good tournament I don’t see why we can have a positive one even if we don’t win it. There seems to be less pressure on us now we can’t boast the likes of Cole, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney, and just maybe we can finally play with a bit of freedom and enjoyment instead of our players looking mortified.

I’d like to see this team:

Pickford

Trippier

Walker

Dier

Cahill

Young

Delph

Loftus Cheek

Alli

Sterling

Kane

Subs:

Butland

Maguire

Rose

Henderson

Lingard

Rashford

Vardy

Stones hasn’t played enough football for City lately to warrant a place in the side. I think Delph is under-rated and he can get about the pitch much better than Eric Dier when he’s playing that role.

Loftus Cheek can bring the ball forward well in the same way as Adam Lallana can when he’s fit and on form. It was a toss up between Lingard and Alli. Lingard is coming off the better season, but I think Alli has a higher ceiling in terms of ability.

If Kane and Sterling perform how they do for their clubs, and it is a big if, then along with Alli they can cause any team major problems. Some great subs to have on the bench too in the likes of Vardy, Rashford and Lingard if we need a goal.

If we play as a team, have our fair share of luck and Harry Kane has a good tournament I don’t see why we can have a positive one even if we don’t win it. There seems to be less pressure on us now we can’t boast the likes of Cole, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney, and just maybe we can finally play with a bit of freedom and enjoyment instead of our players looking mortified.

Pickford

Trippier

Walker

Dier

Cahill

Young

Delph

Loftus Cheek

Alli

Sterling

Kane

Subs:

Butland

Maguire

Rose

Henderson

Lingard

Rashford

Vardy

Stones hasn’t played enough football for City lately to warrant a place in the side. I think Delph is under-rated and he can get about the pitch much better than Eric Dier when he’s playing that role.

Loftus Cheek can bring the ball forward well in the same way as Adam Lallana can when he’s fit and on form. It was a toss up between Lingard and Alli. Lingard is coming off the better season, but I think Alli has a higher ceiling in terms of ability.

If Kane and Sterling perform how they do for their clubs, and it is a big if, then along with Alli they can cause any team major problems. Some great subs to have on the bench too in the likes of Vardy, Rashford and Lingard if we need a goal.

I'll go with:-

Pickford

Stones

Cahill

Maguire

Walker

Delph

Alli

Loftus-Cheek

Rose

Kane

Sterling

Pickford

Trippier

Walker

Dier

Cahill

Young

Delph

Loftus Cheek

Alli

Sterling

Kane

Subs:

Butland

Maguire

Rose

Henderson

Lingard

Rashford

Vardy

Some great subs to have on the bench too in the likes of Vardy, Rashford and Lingard if we need a goal.

There's no need to specifically select subs as every squad member that is not in the starting XI is available to come on as a sub. (.....they use bloody long benches in the World Cup & Euros!)

Got a manager who is experienced in international tournaments and who has visible plans for the future and present he is putting in to action. He has given the players we have the best chance of succeeding. Our squad is made up of relatively young players, but who nonetheless have played at a high level. Player for player I think only a few teams are stronger than us.

When you compare it to the England side of years again, something like the below, it really is like night and day. I'm just hoping the side can play without fear seeing as nobody is expecting much at all from us, whereas our previous generation always went into tournament as one of the favourites despite failing in tournament football so much. (Selected 4-4-2 for both sides)

James - Pickford

G. Neville - Walker

Ferdinand - Stones

Terry - Cahill

Cole - Rose

Beckham - Sterling

Gerrard - Dier

Lampard - Lingard

Scholes - Lallana

Rooney - Alli

Owen - Kane

The only one's you can make a genuine case for to get in our side from 10 years ago is Pickford, Walker and Kane.

We should get to the quarters, but that's as far as we'll get, as we'll most probably play Brazil or Germany. The depth in the other nations squads is quite scary, and most the players they've all left out would all walk in to England's side.

When you compare it to the England side of years again, something like the below, it really is like night and day. I'm just hoping the side can play without fear seeing as nobody is expecting much at all from us, whereas our previous generation always went into tournament as one of the favourites despite failing in tournament football so much. (Selected 4-4-2 for both sides)

James - Pickford

G. Neville - Walker

Ferdinand - Stones

Terry - Cahill

Cole - Rose

Beckham - Sterling

Gerrard - Dier

Lampard - Lingard

Scholes - Lallana

Rooney - Alli

Owen - Kane

The only one's you can make a genuine case for to get in our side from 10 years ago is Pickford, Walker and Kane.

The team you are looking back on are all retired or near end of career. The current squad are young and competing at a high level. Various managers failed to field a team that was even up to the sum of its parts. They also kept picking and trying to play unfit players. The current team, and it's not the one above as Lallana isn't in it and the formation is wrong, is at least playing to a plan.

Kane apart, where are the goals going to come from ? Alli possibly, but there will be too much reliance on the captain to find the goals.

No creativity in midfield and Southgate’s turgid approach spells yet another early exit.

I just don’t see enough goals in this team to make any sort of impact on the tournament.

Kane apart, where are the goals going to come from ? Alli possibly, but there will be too much reliance on the captain to find the goals.

No creativity in midfield and Southgate’s turgid approach spells yet another early exit.

I just don’t see enough goals in this team to make any sort of impact on the tournament.

If Sterling can find his Man City shooting bots then there's enough threat and goals there potentially in him, Kane, Vardy, Rashford, Alli and Lingard. I don' expect us to score a shed load of goals throughout the tournament, but do expect us to be hard to beat. Hopefully one or two goals will be enough to win us some games.

Archived