onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Gunning signs for FGR

Doha

I assume A&R know what they are doing and made an offer accordingly... the offer wasnt accepted so gunning moves on... simple really

FGR are in division 4 as are Port Vale so not really a downward move, bearing in mind that just a short while ago we were where FGR are today.

Good luck to them and gunning

Advert

Hope he enjoys conference football next season and reduced wages when they get relegated at the end of the season.If he carried on playing well as a regular first team player I am sure he would have got another contract at the end of the season.Obviously Aspin felt he wasn't worth a longer contract and could find a better centre back.

We don't know the offer was derisory. It could be that Vale offered him 6 months and FGR 18 months and there was little in it on the actual wages point?

Steady player who I'd have liked to have kept until the end of the season but that's football. Let's be honest his career shows a distinct lack of loyalty whatever the ins and outs. I think Vale is his 2nd most appeared for club with 27 games at the age of 26. Aside from Dundee United he's been nowhere for very long

We don't know the offer was derisory. It could be that Vale offered him 6 months and FGR 18 months and there was little in it on the actual wages point?

Steady player who I'd have liked to have kept until the end of the season but that's football. Let's be honest his career shows a distinct lack of loyalty whatever the ins and outs. I think Vale is his 2nd most appeared for club with 27 games at the age of 26. Aside from Dundee United he's been nowhere for very long

Nobody knows the wage figures - we may never know. But you are right that it could be little in it on actual wages, could be - and that it might be other things like contract length.

It's already been made clear that what eh did in the past matters little. Like Akpo Sodje, who joined us with a horrific reputation as a useless waste of space and became a star player sold on for a small fortune at the time.

It is what Gavin did at Vale - recently, now ! - that mattered, he has gone now, but I think we will miss him, and Aspin's pre-match comments for FGR say he is concerned at being a bit short in defence.

I am sure he will geta replacement before very long, but our defence had been heroic recently, just one penalty conceded in 3 games against 3 of the top 6 clubs - and due to misfortune it is being disrupted a fair bit.

Gunning would have been useful to continue to steady the ship, and had been playing well enough for long enough for Vale (forget past clubs) to be offered a contract of reasonable length (say, 18 months) with a view to him being a first team regular for the rest of this season, and at worst a squad player for next.

Too late now, let's hope results don't suffer as they did last January when a reluctance to part with funds meant a severely weakened squad and ultimate relegation - Rudge/Aspin should make sure that doesn't happen, but unless we replace Gunning, hang on to Ben, and sign a couple of experienced quality players who are injury-free then any dreams of a run at the playoffs are out of the window.

I liked Gunning and hoped we could keep him on a long term basis. He is a player that would always be a solid performer at L1 & L2 level. But he has gone, so that is that. Having praised him, there are a lot of players out there of a similar standard. So no one is indispensable.

I worry a bit that Forrest Green are strengthening because I hoped our current first team squad was now strong enough to go there and win with reasonable comfort so we condemn them to the bottom and the relegation places. This is starting to look a harder game now.

Good luck to him. He's done ok for us. But if he's been offered a longer contract, on more money, you can't blame him. He's not irreplaceable and I didn't see him as our long term left back. He's better in the middle in my view but certainly not a player who we can't look to replace.

Exactly.

Plus we will hopefully have Knopps back next year who is a like-for-like centre half/ left back- and for me, far better.

Aspin had him working hard and did his job and did all the basics a defender should so fair play to him but come on there's way better out there Aspin must know about. I'm not one for going back but must say I can't help thinking that if he can get fit Streete fills Gunning's place brilliantly, left footed and plays predominately at CB but can fill in at LB ideal replacement?

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Its easy to say Gunning was a poor player etc etc but IMO he was doing a good job for us and I'm not sure what type of centre half people are expecting for our level, but I think the point is being missed that Gunning was in starting 11 regularly, had settled in with the rest of the squad and with how we play and was a steady 6 or 7 out of 10 most (if not all) weeks.

We now need to go and find someone else to come in, of course we'll probably be able to find someone, but they may not settle straight away. we might not even get someone to drop down to our level whos as experienced as Gunning is. We might have to settle for another young loanee. We can't rely on Knopps as firstly he won't be ready this season and secondly I'm with RZ in that I don't think he'll stay. Also Remi Streete hasn't played a proper game for 4 months which means hes way off.

Its clear Aspin wanted Gunning to stay and its upset the plans slightly with Anderson being out for a short while and Denton having to return.

I'm more ok with him going than I would have been a month ago because of the emergence of Pugh as a steady left back. A combination of Smith, Anderson, Kay and Davis can cover at centre half but with Denton returning, we do look a bit light at left back though.

Archived