onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Signings?

WalterJ

Don't get the whole panic situation about only making one signing so far, early days yet, and as one post has already said, Mansfield will be paying over the odds for their players to get them in early. Better quality players who are available will weigh up as many offers as they can get before committing their future.

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

Advert

If we were in pole position to get Mirfin, only for Mansfield to swoop in and get him within the day, they must be offering big bucks. Unfortunately we are league 2 now, and for a lot of these players we are a last resort unless we pay through the nose.

Last season we announced Ribeiro as our manager on June 20th. Our signings came a few days after that. Contracts were probably due to start on July 1st.

I said to my owd man just after we got relegated that we probably won't make any signings until the end of June.

Why would Norman pay an extra months wages for **** all?

Pope was commissioned to sell Season tickets and of course he wanted to come. And I am glad he is here. It's a great signing.

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see much business before the end of the month.

The budget is more than likely garbage and the owner won't pay an extra month for nothing.

Nothing really changes.

Again, I do hope I'm wrong.

If players are on an annual contract which runs out at the end of June, then their new contracts would run from July, so would not matter if they signed new ones in May or June.

If players are on an annual contract which runs out at the end of June, then their new contracts would run from July, so would not matter if they signed new ones in May or June.

Yep the players contracts run from end of June to end of June.

No need to panic. We have signed Pope. But several other clubs have already signed good players(Crewe have snapped up two) and Mansfield half a team, for example, so you have to be aware that the number of available players out there is shrinking all the time. Plenty still waiting and watching, I agree, but I imagine we would have been quite pleased if we'd signed one or two of the players going to Crewe or Mansfield.

And of course our big problem is that we don't have a solid base to build on. We're starting from rick bottom/scratch and need maybe 14-15 players and not just 4-5. That makes our situation more of a concern when the pot is shrinking each week.

But we shouldn't be overly worried just yet. See how the land lies at the beginning of July.

We are not as attractive a proposition now that we're in the lowest league with a reduced budget and carrying the baggage of the last 12 months. Garlick is trying hard and signing Pope was good but we won't be among the biggest spenders. The likes of Coventry, Chesterfield, Mansfield, Luton, Swindon, Notts C and Lincoln perhaps will all have at least as big a budget as we now have so it's not easy.

My biggest worry is that we appear to be going down the loan route, that in some ways is good and what I've wanted for the past couple of seasons. Huddersfield had 4 loan players in their team the other day. But clubs won't normally release loan players until August and then it's getting very late. As we discovered last January if you don't get in early and leave it late you run the risk of ending up with nothing.

But let's re-visit the state of the playing staff in a month's time.

Don't think Crewe have paid through the nose.

If we were in pole position to get Mirfin, only for Mansfield to swoop in and get him within the day, they must be offering big bucks. Unfortunately we are league 2 now, and for a lot of these players we are a last resort unless we pay through the nose.

I posted months ago my thoughts on successive relegatiions and was widelely berated. Just as I have been from the onset of our promotion which was in no part smufwaites doing. Most fans just did not get how I could be critical of the man who saved us from oblivion. The fact is he never did.

There were other bidders.

This man will never put us into admin why would he he owns our ground.

If we were not in the football league a ground share with Macclesfield town or even Crewe would be a real possibility. By Christmas we will all just wish we had not been bought out of admin by this clown out of sheer embarrassment.

Pretty much agree with all of that bar the 'he will never put us in admin because he owns the ground' bit. If the club went into admin he would still own the ground because that company wouldn't be in admin. When a new buyer takes us out of admin Smurf would just rent the ground to them. The phrase hell in a handcart springs to mind!

No need to panic. We have signed Pope. But several other clubs have already signed good players(Crewe have snapped up two) and Mansfield half a team, for example, so you have to be aware that the number of available players out there is shrinking all the time. Plenty still waiting and watching, I agree, but I imagine we would have been quite pleased if we'd signed one or two of the players going to Crewe or Mansfield.

And of course our big problem is that we don't have a solid base to build on. We're starting from rick bottom/scratch and need maybe 14-15 players and not just 4-5. That makes our situation more of a concern when the pot is shrinking each week.

But we shouldn't be overly worried just yet. See how the land lies at the beginning of July.

We are not as attractive a proposition now that we're in the lowest league with a reduced budget and carrying the baggage of the last 12 months. Garlick is trying hard and signing Pope was good but we won't be among the biggest spenders. The likes of Coventry, Chesterfield, Mansfield, Luton, Swindon, Notts C and Lincoln perhaps will all have at least as big a budget as we now have so it's not easy.

My biggest worry is that we appear to be going down the loan route, that in some ways is good and what I've wanted for the past couple of seasons. Huddersfield had 4 loan players in their team the other day. But clubs won't normally release loan players until August and then it's getting very late. As we discovered last January if you don't get in early and leave it late you run the risk of ending up with nothing.

But let's re-visit the state of the playing staff in a month's time.

What people have also got to understand is how underhand football really is, does anyone think players get a phone call, contract offer and sign within a day? Players who are moving now on the whole knew they were being released or werent signing deal 2-3 months back and have been speaking to clubs via their agent for weeks. Most players on on holiday until last week of June and then all hell breaks loose when the agents start the ring round. We will be in there budget wise with the likes of Chesterfield, Luton, Swindon etc.. who are all in a similar boat. As for Crewe signings...wow have we really dropped taht far away we think those are good signings? Chris Porter is an ok signing but has spent the last few years playing at league 2 level and the rest one was part of a side relegated to the conference and the other a nothing centre half from league 2 as well. Id take Pope over Porter any day and i wouldnt want the other two what we have is already better.

May be brown can only offer 6/12 month contracts as the club is in limbo i.e. present owner / new owner I now pope was signed on two year contract but that was to get fans buying season tickets. If you look at the rest young lads 12 months pugh 12 months yates 12 months brown player/manager 12 months bikey offer but depends on fitness. so have the rest been offered short term contracts aswell.

I don't think we'd turn up our noses if we had Porter in our squad. 16 goals in 39 games in our division last season is miles better than anything we had last year. He might be too similar to Pope and he's older but he'll score double figures for Crewe next year. He's a good signing for them. Played mostly at a much higher level and always caused us trouble at SU.

Porter is decent, but those who cry out, "why couldn't we sign him!", we've just signed a bloody target man in Tom Pope. Have a little faith in the manager and his staff, then we will see where we are come the end of the window. People forget that this is the first time he's been in the hot seat, he needs a few weeks to build the squad, the majority I'm sure we will have in place come the start of pre-season.

Remember the last Transfer window!!

Porter is decent, but those who cry out, "why couldn't we sign him!", we've just signed a bloody target man in Tom Pope. Have a little faith in the manager and his staff, then we will see where we are come the end of the window. People forget that this is the first time he's been in the hot seat, he needs a few weeks to build the squad, the majority I'm sure we will have in place come the start of pre-season.

Archived