onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What ever happens

RichG

Advert

The fans made their feelings quite clear during the Walsall game, and Bruno was gone 10 minutes after the final whistle. It's a brave/stupid chairman who ignores widespread dissent from the stands.

I think a noisy show of support from the fans for Michael Brown could not be ignored by Smurthwaite.

Although another way of looking at it is...if we give Brown the job and it goes wrong next season, Smurf can blame us and say "I gave you who you wanted"!

Understand that. I also believe if that happened some one here would still have a pop at him for being naive and not making the decision himself. Personally I think this decision should stay with the chairman. Although if brown keeps us up it's basically his anyway and he deserves it if we stay up.

Personally I would look at young managers looking to progress themselves and their teams reflecting what we want to do only at a higher level. Gareth Ainsworth (nothing to do with prior connections) has been consistently keeping Wycombe competitive in league 2, Marcus Bignot looks fresh at Grimsby and even Darren Surl i think it is has Stevenage in the top 4 in a pretty competitive league 2.

Bignot would be my personal choice having seen hes done a director of football type role with Solihull Moors and really got clarity and direction for the club from u18 level upwards. Vales focus should be developing decent players to sell on as per Smurfs ideas but not running before we can walk hence the issues this year with 10 plus players coming in.right idea but too much too soon in my opinion.

When he got rid of Bruno smurf liked the look of Cox at Barrow and Cowley at Lincoln but then Lincoln went on the cup run and i guess they will end up at a bigger club at some point,in fact talking of Cowley i see he is rumoured to have turned down 5k a week to manage loaded Billericay as he wants to manage at FL level

Maybe so but im just going off what he talks about in interviews and he talks very little about tactics, setting up for games with different approaches...its all fitness, hard work, we have a job to do etc.. Warnock is a dinosaur and Brown does sound very much like him. For me in the modern game, hard work and fitness are a given considering we have sports science teams, fitness coaches etc.. his job is to pick a team to win football matches and cause the opposition issues via weaknesses he has spotted or styles of play and you dont hear much about that from him. Maybe on the flip side thats just the persona that he wants to put over that he is all about hard graft and is a task master.

All this talk about the flair players not being athletes always scares me with managers, personally speaking the minute I hear that alarm bells are going off. Iniesta, Messi, Xavi, Neymar etc.. are not by an stretch of the imagination athletes compared to the likes of Kante, Ronaldo, Ramos, Abumeyang, Sanchez, but they can be massively effective if used in the right way. With the game coming tonight and possibly Foley injured would you not look at Tavares going into midfield with Pugh tidying up behind him? Tavares has quality but wasnt being used all that well and dropped (fair play the side was suited better without him with grant and foley in there)but now we need someone to keep us moving and pick passes. Pugh and Guy will give all the graft and run all day but I dont see either playing a killer pass or creating a little bit of class

At Xmas though when Bruno resigned, hard work and fitness weren't givens in our team. They had completely fallen by the wayside. We've spent the last two months catching back up to everyone else. I'm not too concerned that he doesn't talk about tactical things on the radio, he perhaps decides to keep them close to his chest. In the last 3 home games, we've looked the better side in two of those games, and against Bradford who have considerably better players than us, we gave them a good game and lost to an awful handball decision. We've improved immensely.

Warnock is a dinosaur now. But in the 90s, he wasn't seen like that. He was very highly regarded and whilst I'm not a massive fan of the man, if Brown can take the good bits from him (And leave the bad bits that having played a long time for him, I'm sure he's more than aware of) then all the better for me. Browny was a good technical player, it won't hoofball with him.

I have been worried about in the past that some managers don't favour flair players. If we were looking purely for athletes, the world would never had seen Messi because he was too small. But there are some managers out there (Guardiola for instance) who build their sides regardless of physical prowess, and others (Mourinho in this case) who see the physical side of the game just as important. Both have been incredibly successful at what they do, despite different philosophies.

I would look at Tavares tonight instead of Foley if he is injured. I wouldn't drop Guy as his work rate is superb and much needed in that midfield. Tavares showed glimpses of technical ability but some of his passing was shocking and in dangerous places to give the ball away. He was also incredibly unfit under Bruno and couldn't last 90 minutes in a low pressing style, which is in complete contrast to our high press that we're currently playing. Tavares looked a lot slimmer Saturday when he came on. Hopefully he's ready for a return to action tonight if required. But if he's going to be a liability when it comes to tracking back and covering then he's better off out the side as it undermines the pressing that we're doing. It's the situation we're in now. Flair players aren't going to get us out of this mess, hard work and belief will.

At Xmas though when Bruno resigned, hard work and fitness weren't givens in our team. They had completely fallen by the wayside. We've spent the last two months catching back up to everyone else. I'm not too concerned that he doesn't talk about tactical things on the radio, he perhaps decides to keep them close to his chest. In the last 3 home games, we've looked the better side in two of those games, and against Bradford who have considerably better players than us, we gave them a good game and lost to an awful handball decision. We've improved immensely.

Warnock is a dinosaur now. But in the 90s, he wasn't seen like that. He was very highly regarded and whilst I'm not a massive fan of the man, if Brown can take the good bits from him (And leave the bad bits that having played a long time for him, I'm sure he's more than aware of) then all the better for me. Browny was a good technical player, it won't hoofball with him.

I have been worried about in the past that some managers don't favour flair players. If we were looking purely for athletes, the world would never had seen Messi because he was too small. But there are some managers out there (Guardiola for instance) who build their sides regardless of physical prowess, and others (Mourinho in this case) who see the physical side of the game just as important. Both have been incredibly successful at what they do, despite different philosophies.

I would look at Tavares tonight instead of Foley if he is injured. I wouldn't drop Guy as his work rate is superb and much needed in that midfield. Tavares showed glimpses of technical ability but some of his passing was shocking and in dangerous places to give the ball away. He was also incredibly unfit under Bruno and couldn't last 90 minutes in a low pressing style, which is in complete contrast to our high press that we're currently playing. Tavares looked a lot slimmer Saturday when he came on. Hopefully he's ready for a return to action tonight if required. But if he's going to be a liability when it comes to tracking back and covering then he's better off out the side as it undermines the pressing that we're doing. It's the situation we're in now. Flair players aren't going to get us out of this mess, hard work and belief will.

I agree with the vast majority of what you are saying but flair players and ability can make this work for us and get us out the mire. Hoopers two pieces of quality (not saying hes a flair player or oozes quality in general) were the difference between us and Swindon on saturday. We need similar against, Shrewsbury, Coventry and Chesterfield from someone in the team, they will be able to work as hard as us physically but we need to have that player who can unlock their defense, create a chance or finish that chance, its what makes the Sheff Utds and Bradfords better than us. Tonight lets be honest Id take hard work and digging in to get a point against a team which is technically better than us I would say (but i still think we have to score to get a point). Against Coventry away we need to be the better technical side and create and finish chances.

Brown has inherited a squad that has limited technical ability, and hasn't shown anywhere near enough quality or work rate through Oct - Feb. Considering he took over a few days before the window opened and a lack of financial clout to attract the quality we need, I'd say his focus has had to be on getting the best out of what he's got. That means hard work and graft. To sustain that for 90+ minutes, you need to be fit, which the players weren't (not up to the required standard anyway). Jan - Mar has almost been like a pre-season for us in that sense. Given his attention had to be on getting them fit, performances and results in the beginning were likely to suffer. Slowly, over the last few weeks performances have improved, losses have turned to draws and now we've seen our first victory. He's brought in a decent defensive coach in Morgan (I like the short clip the official twitter posted showing Morgan punching the air at full time and shaking Brown's hand afterwards), it means something to them and they've brought the passion we need to get out of this mess.

For me, Brown has shown that with a limited squad, performing badly and losing, he can gradually change that outlook to a team performing well and picking up points. That's a sign of a good Manager. Would he focus completely on hard work and graft after a pre season when he's able to shape his own squad? I honestly don't know the answer to that yet, so for me I find it hard to judge on whether he's a "dinosaur" type of Manager or not. He's paid to get results, and with the tripe he's inherited, he's started to get them.

He should be appointed on a 2 and a bit year contract to provide the stability we need and the clear plan long term, whatever division we're in. I have no doubt, given the same funds as Bruno with a clear message of quality over quantity, he could attract a good mix of; hungry, talented, experienced, hard working players.

Brown has inherited a squad that has limited technical ability, and hasn't shown anywhere near enough quality or work rate through Oct - Feb. Considering he took over a few days before the window opened and a lack of financial clout to attract the quality we need, I'd say his focus has had to be on getting the best out of what he's got. That means hard work and graft. To sustain that for 90+ minutes, you need to be fit, which the players weren't (not up to the required standard anyway). Jan - Mar has almost been like a pre-season for us in that sense. Given his attention had to be on getting them fit, performances and results in the beginning were likely to suffer. Slowly, over the last few weeks performances have improved, losses have turned to draws and now we've seen our first victory. He's brought in a decent defensive coach in Morgan (I like the short clip the official twitter posted showing Morgan punching the air at full time and shaking Brown's hand afterwards), it means something to them and they've brought the passion we need to get out of this mess.

For me, Brown has shown that with a limited squad, performing badly and losing, he can gradually change that outlook to a team performing well and picking up points. That's a sign of a good Manager. Would he focus completely on hard work and graft after a pre season when he's able to shape his own squad? I honestly don't know the answer to that yet, so for me I find it hard to judge on whether he's a "dinosaur" type of Manager or not. He's paid to get results, and with the tripe he's inherited, he's started to get them.

He should be appointed on a 2 and a bit year contract to provide the stability we need and the clear plan long term, whatever division we're in. I have no doubt, given the same funds as Bruno with a clear message of quality over quantity, he could attract a good mix of; hungry, talented, experienced, hard working players.

I can't disagree with any of that.

Keep him on regardless of where Vale finish. I don't think there is much point trying to get a manager with history. Its the same old names and you know they'll eventually get the sack - that's why they are available and with experience. Yep - of seeing results dip and then getting the sack.

Lets go with Brown and give him a go. Managerial careers start somewhere. Success starts somewhere. Why not now, here with Michael Brown as manager?

Why? Why should we be getting involved? I know his recent appointments have been woeful but it's still his decision. We don't have to have a say or a voter everything, certainly doesn't happen at other clubs.

I wish more people felt like this about other areas of the club too.

Norman is playing his mind games again.If Vale get relegated he can blame Brown and sack him.Still can't see why he extended Browns contract as it will cost him more money if he does. Bet all the fans not wanting Uwe Rosler wish we had him now. Norman could have helped Brown to strengthen the side in January by using the money from sales to bring in better players but he didn't. The obvious stumbling block in this case is Norman. Anyone bought in to replace Brown would struggle due to the consistent meddling from the owner .

Best to stick with Brown and Morgan to steady the ship.

Look what happened last time we employed an up and coming manager we got Jim Gannon a disaster waiting to happen.

Archived