onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What ever happens

RichG

The chairman just can not keep his thoughts and decisions to himself. He has to go spurting out information not knowing who may be listening and what the consequences may be.

M.Brown will now have heard this information. His attitude towards his efforts to bring some sucess to the team may well be deminishing from now on.

Advert

It's quite a coup to have names like Danny Pugh and Chris Eagles here, I doubt Bruno could have got them here.

Free transfers from League 2 Blackpool and Accrington?

I hope Brown does well, keeps us up and becomes our next 'proper' manager but some of the hyperbole and avoidance of negatives on here is a bit daft.

Can we really dismiss any of Brown's involvement in the club for the first half of the season?

With the players he had at his disposal, was his record pre-Swindon acceptable?

Will his kind of football lure fans back to the club?

Is his ostracising of certain players anything of concern?

Although another way of looking at it is...if we give Brown the job and it goes wrong next season, Smurf can blame us and say "I gave you who you wanted"!

People won't do that though (IMO). They'll just blame Smurf for 'getting it wrong'.

The chairman just can not keep his thoughts and decisions to himself. He has to go spurting out information not knowing who may be listening and what the consequences may be.

M.Brown will now have heard this information. His attitude towards his efforts to bring some sucess to the team may well be deminishing from now on.

Or could it be a ploy by our Norm to get a reaction by the supporters to make his decision.

My sources on this Barry are impeccable.

If that be the case Ray, and given this is now in the open, if I was MB it would prompt me to do even better i.e. I would still have a 'Shop Window' of 12/13 games to promote myself to other 'Clubs that I am worth a punt. Plus, I would be encouraging the 'Lads to work together and look after each other for the very same reason.

Included in my CV would be: 'When the going gets tough, Barry Edge gets going' :smile:

Smurthwaite has been overheard at Vale Park saying that whatever happens this season Brown will not be the manager next season.

I think that OVF should do a vote once we know our fate so at least he can gauge what the fans think.

Thanks for that information,I'm sure it will help us all in our fight against relegation?

my personal opinion is that Brown will never manage above league 1 level and he is suited to being a journeyman league 2 manager. Already he is massively focused on fitness, physicality and experience which i'm afraid isn't going to develop squads and put together championship winning sides with quality, its just going to steady ships and make teams promoted into league 2 or league 1 just about stay up. Adams was the same really and his fall from grace has been a similar slide. Those days are gone, players with technical talent are about and they are what makes money and wins matches. You wont get into the championship with a team of 30 year old journeymen players doing a season with us then going elsewhere, its going to need 3-4 players with ability, 3-4 with graft and a couple of old heads to keep the team moving on. The fact that hes already dropped most of the summer recruits like Kiko (forced to stick him due to injuries), Tavares etc.. and constantly moans about them not being athletes, not training well stinks of 1980s/1990s management. You look at what managers Like Rosler at fleetwood and Jon Whitney at Walsall are blending younger talent and a bit of experience to make competitive outfits (and selling players), look at the likes of Vale, Swindon, and Chesterfield and most of the is older players who have joined on 1 year deals etc..

We need a manager who is going to look at developing raw potential and take a risk on a couple of players each year rather than a steady eddie who is going to make us fit, physical but limited in terms of ability or excitement. Page and Adams were both the same opting for similar to what brown has assembled. Eagles, Pugh are both Adamsesque players (granted what we needed to steady the ship this year). But would you want them to be involved massively next season if we can improve the squad

Personally I would look at young managers looking to progress themselves and their teams reflecting what we want to do only at a higher level. Gareth Ainsworth (nothing to do with prior connections) has been consistently keeping Wycombe competitive in league 2, Marcus Bignot looks fresh at Grimsby and even Darren Surl i think it is has Stevenage in the top 4 in a pretty competitive league 2.

Bignot would be my personal choice having seen hes done a director of football type role with Solihull Moors and really got clarity and direction for the club from u18 level upwards. Vales focus should be developing decent players to sell on as per Smurfs ideas but not running before we can walk hence the issues this year with 10 plus players coming in.right idea but too much too soon in my opinion.

Personally I would look at young managers looking to progress themselves and their teams reflecting what we want to do only at a higher level. Gareth Ainsworth (nothing to do with prior connections) has been consistently keeping Wycombe competitive in league 2, Marcus Bignot looks fresh at Grimsby and even Darren Surl i think it is has Stevenage in the top 4 in a pretty competitive league 2.

Bignot would be my personal choice having seen hes done a director of football type role with Solihull Moors and really got clarity and direction for the club from u18 level upwards. Vales focus should be developing decent players to sell on as per Smurfs ideas but not running before we can walk hence the issues this year with 10 plus players coming in.right idea but too much too soon in my opinion.

Sadly, attracting L2 managers at stable and decent clubs wouldn't be easy.

my personal opinion is that Brown will never manage above league 1 level and he is suited to being a journeyman league 2 manager. Already he is massively focused on fitness, physicality and experience which i'm afraid isn't going to develop squads and put together championship winning sides with quality, its just going to steady ships and make teams promoted into league 2 or league 1 just about stay up. Adams was the same really and his fall from grace has been a similar slide. Those days are gone, players with technical talent are about and they are what makes money and wins matches. You wont get into the championship with a team of 30 year old journeymen players doing a season with us then going elsewhere, its going to need 3-4 players with ability, 3-4 with graft and a couple of old heads to keep the team moving on. The fact that hes already dropped most of the summer recruits like Kiko (forced to stick him due to injuries), Tavares etc.. and constantly moans about them not being athletes, not training well stinks of 1980s/1990s management. You look at what managers Like Rosler at fleetwood and Jon Whitney at Walsall are blending younger talent and a bit of experience to make competitive outfits (and selling players), look at the likes of Vale, Swindon, and Chesterfield and most of the is older players who have joined on 1 year deals etc..

We need a manager who is going to look at developing raw potential and take a risk on a couple of players each year rather than a steady eddie who is going to make us fit, physical but limited in terms of ability or excitement. Page and Adams were both the same opting for similar to what brown has assembled. Eagles, Pugh are both Adamsesque players (granted what we needed to steady the ship this year). But would you want them to be involved massively next season if we can improve the squad

I would say that's incredibly harsh on Brown. His remit is to keep us up. He said fitness levels weren't up to scratch and has improved them. He plugged some holes in January, one with an experienced player but also brought in Tyler Walker, Callum Guy and Fasan, none of which are close to 30 year old journeymen. Coupled with the football we have played recently (How can you not be impressed by Saturday) and I find the conclusion you've drawn on Brown's managerial career to date (And what type of manager he's going to be in the next few years) quite puzzling.

Brown was known as a tough-tackling midfielder with an eye for goal. If he can mould his teams in to something resembling his playing style, then I think that would go down quite well with our fanbase. All his moves have to been to keep us up, and not to be playing carpet football whilst waltzing in to the Championship. If he gets the job, judge him on the summer and next season.

His mentor Neil Warnock has managed to make a decent career as a manager at a higher level. Love him or hate, Neil Warnock has been successful in many of his jobs. If Browny is a Warnock clone, there are worse things in the world!

Brown has the potential to be a great manager.

I think he must keep us up if he is to keep his job at the Vale. He might take us down and get a job in league two and be fantastic but I think it would be a risk.

If he keeps us up to give him a year's deal and assess how he's done in December.

I would say that's incredibly harsh on Brown. His remit is to keep us up. He said fitness levels weren't up to scratch and has improved them. He plugged some holes in January, one with an experienced player but also brought in Tyler Walker, Callum Guy and Fasan, none of which are close to 30 year old journeymen. Coupled with the football we have played recently (How can you not be impressed by Saturday) and I find the conclusion you've drawn on Brown's managerial career to date (And what type of manager he's going to be in the next few years) quite puzzling.

Brown was known as a tough-tackling midfielder with an eye for goal. If he can mould his teams in to something resembling his playing style, then I think that would go down quite well with our fanbase. All his moves have to been to keep us up, and not to be playing carpet football whilst waltzing in to the Championship. If he gets the job, judge him on the summer and next season.

His mentor Neil Warnock has managed to make a decent career as a manager at a higher level. Love him or hate, Neil Warnock has been successful in many of his jobs. If Browny is a Warnock clone, there are worse things in the world!

Maybe so but im just going off what he talks about in interviews and he talks very little about tactics, setting up for games with different approaches...its all fitness, hard work, we have a job to do etc.. Warnock is a dinosaur and Brown does sound very much like him. For me in the modern game, hard work and fitness are a given considering we have sports science teams, fitness coaches etc.. his job is to pick a team to win football matches and cause the opposition issues via weaknesses he has spotted or styles of play and you dont hear much about that from him. Maybe on the flip side thats just the persona that he wants to put over that he is all about hard graft and is a task master.

All this talk about the flair players not being athletes always scares me with managers, personally speaking the minute I hear that alarm bells are going off. Iniesta, Messi, Xavi, Neymar etc.. are not by an stretch of the imagination athletes compared to the likes of Kante, Ronaldo, Ramos, Abumeyang, Sanchez, but they can be massively effective if used in the right way. With the game coming tonight and possibly Foley injured would you not look at Tavares going into midfield with Pugh tidying up behind him? Tavares has quality but wasnt being used all that well and dropped (fair play the side was suited better without him with grant and foley in there)but now we need someone to keep us moving and pick passes. Pugh and Guy will give all the graft and run all day but I dont see either playing a killer pass or creating a little bit of class

Maybe so but im just going off what he talks about in interviews and he talks very little about tactics, setting up for games with different approaches...its all fitness, hard work, we have a job to do etc.. Warnock is a dinosaur and Brown does sound very much like him. For me in the modern game, hard work and fitness are a given considering we have sports science teams, fitness coaches etc.. his job is to pick a team to win football matches and cause the opposition issues via weaknesses he has spotted or styles of play and you dont hear much about that from him. Maybe on the flip side thats just the persona that he wants to put over that he is all about hard graft and is a task master.

All this talk about the flair players not being athletes always scares me with managers, personally speaking the minute I hear that alarm bells are going off. Iniesta, Messi, Xavi, Neymar etc.. are not by an stretch of the imagination athletes compared to the likes of Kante, Ronaldo, Ramos, Abumeyang, Sanchez, but they can be massively effective if used in the right way. With the game coming tonight and possibly Foley injured would you not look at Tavares going into midfield with Pugh tidying up behind him? Tavares has quality but wasnt being used all that well and dropped (fair play the side was suited better without him with grant and foley in there)but now we need someone to keep us moving and pick passes. Pugh and Guy will give all the graft and run all day but I dont see either playing a killer pass or creating a little bit of class

What about Reeves through ball to Hooper on Saturday class there.

Why would Bignot leave Grimsby less than 4 months after taking the job?

They have also dropped from 8th to 13th under his leadership and managed to lose 5-0 at Crewe .

Archived