onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who will be the Vales new manager?

PV1973

Advert

Its a new era for the club with a 1st foreign manager coming in. He isn't totally new to the English game having played for Leeds and Sheffield Utd. He knows Michael Brown who will be part of the coaching staff and along with the new DoF who knows how things will pan out. I am looking forward to this new season with this different approach. With some decent signings and possible quality loanees we may be surprised.

I'm not a massive fan of the whole DOF/head coach thing BUT if we do get a foreign manager then it could work well for us. As long as whoever takes over requests the type of player he wants rather than having any old player forced upon him.

I'm not a massive fan of the whole DOF/head coach thing BUT if we do get a foreign manager then it could work well for us. As long as whoever takes over requests the type of player he wants rather than having any old player forced upon him.

I'd like to think the Head of Recruitment/DoF will put shortlists together for the head coach, who then selects the player he wants off the list. That way the Head of Recruitment is happy with the player and the Head Coach is happy too. The problems arise when the Head Coach wants someone not on the list. He shouldn't be able to sign that player. The head of recruitment's concern is the medium/long-term progress of the club and signing players he doesn't think are right is essentially the bit we've been missing in the whole process. Smurf doesn't have the knowledge of football to get that bit right, and has let managers just sign players regardless. Now he has that man between him and the head coach to sign players on behalf of head coach, hopefully we should see some stability at the club.

This is underwhelming news if correct. I would be more interested,if true, to see the assisted appointment he is going to get and at least Brown will be there to guide him. Next will be the players brought in then see how they gel in the friendlies. So much to happen in too short a time! I assume Smurf ignored all the advice he was given.

Don't think the bookies have got it wrong on this one. Still I will be there to the end to see how the season pans out. Might also chuck a few quid on Shrewsbury to go down as well.

Im still very optimistic, I know his record is less than impressive. But its something new and something different and I would take this gamble over a journeyman everyday of the week. If the rumours of the english coach or DOF are true then it could be an excellent partnership given Brunos contacts. No matter what its certainly going to be very interesting season one way or the other!

I,m all for giving people a chance and will want to see how this partnership pans out after all he knows Brown who in truth I think Smurf wants to groom for the Vale job eventually that is a plus but also the DOF or Head of Recruitment is the mystery as we have'nt got a clue who that is and accordinging to Smurf has experience of promotions at other clubs as an assistant I think he said!

I suppose a PRESS CONFERENCE will be called for tues i,m guessing for them all to walk through the door!! exciting times ahead hopefully!

I can see this being a disaster, and am looking forward to being completely wrong on that count!

For me, the manager at a football league club with limited resources is probably the most important role. They identify the players that want to sign, provide an attraction for those that we are interested in, shape the team over a 12-24 month period, and provide the focus and optimism that is necessary for achievement and fanbase engagement.

I don't get the attraction of a foreign and largely unproven coach, beyond his potential contacts. I don't care if he is from the moon, but I am concerned that foreign coaches are few and far between in English football below the Championship, mainly because they just don't (unsurprisingly) have the requisite knowledge of football and players at this level.

Unless he is a blinding coach way beyond the level of any available in England currently, or we're going to get 6 Man Utd youngsters on loan and win the league, what is his attraction? If he signs players from Portugal, we might get some amazing technical wizards, or 3 Andreas Lipas.

Bringing in an 'experienced English coach' as an advisor just makes me wonder why we need Bruno Ribeiro when we have someone with the requisite skills and experience already on the payroll... Relationships like that at this level are not common, and rarely successful.

Going from Adams (experienced) to Page (no previous managerial knowledge remember) to a foreign unknown, with Michael Brown (no previous managerial knowledge) waiting in the wings, doesn't smack me of a coherent approach either. It smacks of scattergun, of not really having a plan, or knowing what you want from the club which for me doesn't reflect on our owner better than other issues that we've had.

I would prefer either Brown as a recent ex-pro with high level experience and a bit of a 'name' (even as an unknown), or someone with experience that has contacts. I don't want to be 3 months into the season with a dire record, a mixture of overseas and loan players that have no engagement if the manager gets fired, and someone trying to pick up the pieces.

As I said, looking forward to eating humble pie!

Archived