onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2016

I don't care what anyone say's, but if, and it is a massive if, we had someone capable of getting the best out of the players so that they showed club form for country then we would have a competitive side. If Iceland played in the Premier League with the players they have I genuinely think that for all of their desire and organization they would struggle to stay up. Hodgson never once settled on a best 11 and also played players out of best position game after game after game. I honestly think Brendan Rodgers would have been a good man for us but of course he recently went to Celtic. We should just go back to play a 4-4-2, as Iceland have done so well this tournament, and tell the players to play in a frantic style as they are use to in the Premier League and not worry so much about keeping possession. It doesn't matter how much we improve in this regard we'll never be a match for the top sides in Europe such as Spain, Germany and Italy.

Simple and easy to understand 4-4-2:

Forster

Walker/Clyne

Smalling

Stones

Shaw/Rose

Milner

Dier

Alli/Barkley

Welbeck

Sturridge

Kane

Advert

I'm patriotic and tournaments always get me optimistic no matter what state our football is in. But I honestly thought with the likes of Kane, Alli and Dier in the side, players that haven't experienced failure with our national team in the past, things could well be different and that we would finally play with no fear. I couldn't have been more wrong! The way the players buckled under the slightest bit of pressure and expectation yet again was embarrassing. I can't exactly put my finger on the reason why, and I don't believe it's simply about money, but every other nation the players look like they enjoy representing their country and it brings out the best in many of them, such as the Icelandic players, whereas with ours they look absolutely terrified of making mistakes which ultimately leads to them making plenty. Mentally our players are extremely fragile and something has to be done about it. I do believe that techniically we've caught up a bit with the best nation. The likes of Alli, Barkley, Lallana and Sturridge when they play well are excellent on the ball. But our players buckle under the weight of expectation and have done for as long as I can remember, including genuine world-class footballers such as Lampard and Gerrard, two players that could have played for any club side in the world.

How I only wish we has someone as tactically astute as Italy and Chelsea's Antonio Conte. Though even he would struggle until something changes at grass root level.

I'm the same, as patriotic, passionate and optimistic about the England football team as anyone. However, it was clear as day in the friendly's, and I accept friendly's are friendly's, that Hodgson's tactics weren't going to work as the players were confused, some were played out of position, there was no plan B and even worse Hodgson himself was confused, knew they weren't working and didn't try something different and what was even more worse is that it was a an exact carbon copy of Brazil 2014.

It's not all doom and gloom as England have good players in and outside that squad but we need the right manager in place to suss out the best team, the only candidate to my eyes is Glenn Hoddle.

Do West Brom not use long throws?

No idea

But it seemed deliberate that Rooney was marking the 'first receiver' as he seemed to do the same again later in the match. Why did we have a chimp marking a giraffe? Why didn't our 'wide men' ever switch sides? Used to work for Guppy and McCarthy ;) Why didn't he take Kane off much much sooner. Why did he pick Wilshere? Why do our players kick with their shin so often?

Why Why Why do I bother? See you in 2018 England when no doubt we'll do it all over again.

No idea

But it seemed deliberate that Rooney was marking the 'first receiver' as he seemed to do the same again later in the match. Why did we have a chimp marking a giraffe? Why didn't our 'wide men' ever switch sides? Used to work for Guppy and McCarthy ;) Why didn't he take Kane off much much sooner. Why did he pick Wilshere? Why do our players kick with their shin so often? Why Why Why do I bother? See you in 2018 England when no doubt we'll do it all over again.

Wonder if we will qualify? Manager to have made his mark by then? Wait and see as usual, other things to do.

The England team and squad has some very good players. For me the issue is that it is worse than its parts. It has cracked under pressure to an extent that is more than just losing - it is like the whole ability to play declined from international class to unable to control the ball at all. It doesn't have a fluent system of play - like the Germans most notably. Then the manager has picked players who are tired / out of form - Kane, Stirling. We needed Clyne at right back last night to be more of a winger. And then he has gone with the Rooney transformation, when he should be a striker or out of the team. Then he brought on the wrong subs, we needed Rashford not Vardy earlier. Finally, Kane seems to think he is Messi when we just want him to stay between the posts, occupy the centre halves or pull on to the fullback and have shots from reasonable places. Instead we have him taking corners, taking free kicks from the wing, trying to score from a 41 yard free kick and showing no finishing prowess at all. All this stuff is in our control and the Germans don't make these sort of mistakes.

No idea

But it seemed deliberate that Rooney was marking the 'first receiver' as he seemed to do the same again later in the match. Why did we have a chimp marking a giraffe? Why didn't our 'wide men' ever switch sides? Used to work for Guppy and McCarthy ;) Why didn't he take Kane off much much sooner. Why did he pick Wilshere? Why do our players kick with their shin so often?

Why Why Why do I bother? See you in 2018 England when no doubt we'll do it all over again.

The person I am most critical of is Hart. he has let in 3 soft goals in recent internationals and 2 in this tournament.

The England team and squad has some very good players.

I'm afraid I disagree, and if the truth hurts, then that is a shame.

There are virtually no English players of the calibre of the 1966 world cup winners, or even the seventies team, or perhaps half of the 90s team which was fairly decent.

I would rather not single out individuals, but the players have to take responsibility as well as the manager and they were clearly lacking passion and interest in this tournament, but mostly lacking basic skills and there isn't a single one of them that you would put in the worlds top 40 players if such a list existed.

I don't have the answers, but can see the situation actually getting worse as youngsters don't play football on street corners anywhere here now, and development of local talent is not a priority at any level.

We once had great mining, steel, and other industries - they have gone and in terms of international football England has gone too, probably never to win anything again and be roughly on a par with Switzerland, Sweden, Croatia in Europe and perhaps Uruguay or Columbia in world terms - that's on a good day.

England do have good players and maybe not the best squad in the tournament they certainly should do better than they do, you only have to look at other teams in the tournament like France and Germany who have a number of premiership players in their squads which do not perform nearly as well in the premiership. We just need a manager who can play the right system and get the best out of the players we have, just look at England Rugby team. For me the obvious man is Ranieri but not sure we can lure him.

7th June 2002 - was the last time England won a competitive fixture against top opposition - that is 91 competitive matches and does not include friendlies.

Arguably a couple of victories against Croatia in 2004 and 2010 might make some people dispute this, and I appreciate a large number of those 90 games were in groups that included everyone from San Marino, Azerbijan and Macedonia to Lithuania and Malta and much more dross instead. It does no favours playing sub-standard opposaition until eventually you become one of them.

The 2002 match was against Argentina - and by top teams i meant Argentina, Brazil, possibly Uruguay and Columbia, Holland, Belgium, France, Spain, Germany, Italy.

England do have good players and maybe not the best squad in the tournament they certainly should do better than they do, you only have to look at other teams in the tournament like France and Germany who have a number of premiership players in their squads which do not perform nearly as well in the premiership. We just need a manager who can play the right system and get the best out of the players we have, just look at England Rugby team. For me the obvious man is Ranieri but not sure we can lure him.

I am not being argumentative for the sake of it, but can you honestly tell me who are the good players and how many of them would regularly get in any of the French, German, Belgian, Portugal and even Spanish national sides? On last nights showing I doubt Iceland would swap any of their players for ours.

England have players who think they are good, and will always look good playing Sanb Marion, Luxembourg, Leichtenstein, Azerbijan, Slovenia and Estonia - but sadly the French, Germans, Belgians, Spanish etc. as Micky used to say 'don't roll over and let you tickle their tummies'.

He has not quite finished his 1st year with Leicester (Of a 3 year contract), I cannot see him being interested in the England job. International football does not suit him, his last game as manager of Greece was a Euro 2016 qualifier defeat to the Faroe Islands.

He has not quite finished his 1st year with Leicester (Of a 3 year contract), I cannot see him being interested in the England job. International football does not suit him, his last game as manager of Greece was a Euro 2016 qualifier defeat to the Faroe Islands.

Doesn't that make him the ideal candidiate then ? Sorry, but the situation with England as an international football team needs some gallows humour, it really is that bad.

Perhaps David Cameron might be interested in the job.

Archived