onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2016

Why do we insist on playing players out of position just to fit them in the team, Rooney for example to scared to drop him so place him in midfield. We've got the likes of Barkley, Drinkwater and Noble who can play that position a lot better than Rooney.

Let's stick Sturridge on the wing even though he is a Striker and leave the likes of Townsend at home.

Argentina reached Copa America final and left Aguero on the bench, arguably one of the best strikers in the world. They didn't change the formation or play him out of position because it doesn't benefit them.

You don't need a team of world class players to go far, look at Iceland, Wales even Italy (other than Buffon they have no world class players). What they do have is the right formation and tactics and players that play in the correct position.

Chile are another example 2 world class players in Vidal and Sanchez the rest are either just good or very good players. They are a delight to watch and I feel the next world cup they will be worth a punt.

Finally Iceland congratulations, no excuses can be used for tonight. They were simply the better team, they had more passion and desire. They are a credit to football and to this competition.

Sent from my HTC 0PGQ1 using Tapatalk

Advert

To be frank, that shameful shambles is one massive reason that I refuse totally to attend any Premier League fixtures and why I support a "lower League Club."

I am very proud of the vast majority of players who play their game outside of the Premiership as they at least show some passion for the game and want to better themselves. The press, media, players, management and the whole system over inflate anyone that seems capable of kicking a ball to such an extent that these grossly overpaid prima donnas believe that they are better human beings than the rest of us.

I would much prefer to watch so called lesser players in talent have a go than raise my blood pressure in embarrassment at viewing dross offered by pampered, disgraceful Premier players prancing around as though they had any talent at all.

Year after year England in particular suggest they are capable of competing with the World's best. They are not. Stop all the kidology and ridiculous building up of average footballers and finally accept that seriously WE ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!

Drastic fundamental changes throughout our Football systems have to be implemented to give us any chance of honestly competing with the rest of the World.

Some Countries have come on in leaps and bounds whereas England just perpetually overpay the few that don't deserve it and leave the remainder way behind. Until we recognise and do something about it we will remain second class in World terms and we will continue to see that those supposed top players and managers/coaches will cream off the majority of money available and the minnows will flounder along with crumbs to survive on!

This morning the whole squad who laughingly were part of that debacle last night should hold their hands up and donate their "stolen" earnings to the unfortunate people of the World who will never understand why a person who plays this fabulous game has to be given God-like status for doing something the majority of us mere mortals can only dream of.

End of my rant! I now get back to the serious business of supporting my favourites, one of the minnows who will strive to better themselves and give the paying fans reason to suspect that they are honest and willing to try their very best each and every game they play. Actually thinking about it, it does bring you back down to Earth with a bang to realise that being a Vale fan is sanity compared to pretending we have a National Team that are any better than us!

Perhaps we dont need a squad full of "names"... just the best players in particular positions playing in those positions like a team... stop trying to put square pegs in round holes just because of their name or tax bracket... its not rocket science.

Goalkeeper

Hart was abysmal this tournament. I've always thought he was somewhat over-rated and he's only convinced me more in the last few games that he is. He's an excellent shot-stopper, but so is Simon Mignolet, someone who gets a lot of stick. Joe Hart has a massive, cringe-worthy ego, and plays to the camera's with his chest pounding and belting out the national anthem... You want your goalie to be calm and collected. Can you imagine someone like Manuel Neuer doing that **** in the tunnel before a game? He's an absolute ***, and is every bit as annoying as his silly shampoo advert. Time to give Foster or Butland a run in goal.

Defense

I've got no problems with the full-backs and think that's one of our better areas in the squad. They all need to work on their final ball, that much is obvious. But Clyne, Walker, Shaw and Rose would get into most International sides. Both Gary Cahill and Chris Smalling are bang average and the fact that they have been the first choice pair say's it all. When we had the likes of Ferdinand, Terry and Campbell to choose between I don't think either would have even made the squad! But Smalling has improved to be fair, and has decent fundamentals for a defender. But he seems mentally fragile and unable to handle pressure, summed up by his last minute header that he squandered that he would probably have buried for United in a normal game.

Midfielders

Where to start? I suppose I'll start with Dier, who didn't do anything wrong and has become a key player for us in a short space of time - although a big part of that is down to a lack of quality. Jack Wilshere should never have gone in the first place, but even when 100% he only flatters to deceive. England clearly needed to move the ball quicker last night when half-time came around, so why would anyone in the right mind bring on Wilshere, a player that dicks around and looses the ball more than any other footballer that's considered a good player I can think of? Yet another ridiculous decision by Hodgson in which he made a number of over the four games. Alli was nowhere near the same influence as he was for Spurs last season but with a bit more luck he could easily have had one or two goals. He's obviously nowhere near the finished article or as good as some people believe he is, but he does have talent and is one of the few players that the team should be built shaped around. Moving on to Wayne Rooney, I'm honestly struggling to get over just how bad he was in the 2nd half last night. A player that many consider to be world-class and a leader. He couldn't pass, couldn't control the ball, and completely buckled under the pressure as he has a tendency to do. He's trying to play like Pirlo or Scholes in his new role but doesn't even have a quarter of either players class or craft. I honestly don't think he offers anything to the England side any longer and he should retire from International football. As for Lallana, he divides opinion a lot but he did a lot right this tournament other than not take one of the few chances he got. I do think his ability to create space and drag defenders out of position was badly missed last night. But for all of his craft his goal-scoring record for both club and country is really poor for someone who has has ability, and it's not like he's 22 and is a part of of his game that he can really improve on.

Forwards

Harry Kane. How can a player who's shone in the most difficult league in the world for two full seasons suddenly look like a Conference player? He didn't chose himself to take free-kicks, I've got no issue with him over that as it's yet another Hodgson decision that lead to him having to resign out of shame. I certainly don't think the likes of Real Madrid and FC Bayern will be looking at him as they were apparently doing before the tournament kicked off any longer! Daniel Sturridge was never a wide player and never will be. So why the **** would anyone try to play him as one? Sturridge is gifted but either play him as a striker and build the rest of the team around his talent or don't play him at all. It's that simple. Same with Jamie Vardy. Another who wasn't played to his strengths whatsoever by Hodgson and his tactics. Fortunately there is a lot of striking talent to choose available for the next manager IF he gets it right. Something Roy Hodgson failed so miserably at. As for Sterling, the less said about him the better. Zero confidence and no end product whatsoever, and this from a guy who cost very close to 50 million. Just staggering.

Manager

Hodgson is a nice bloke and tried his best but he was so lacking in ideas it was just ridiculous. Some of his substitutions throughout the tournament were gobsmacking. But he was only ever appointed by the FA in the first place because he's a "Yes, sir." kind of bloke, which is the exact opposite of what Fabio Capello was in regards to the FA. The scary thing is that Gareth Southgate is the apparent favourite for the job, a manager I would trust to manage at his local McDonalds. If Southgate is the best we've got to choose from then God help us, nevermind save the Queen!

there was certainly a lack of effort tonight, actually a lack of anything, maybe their win bonus was less than they wanted.

They don't get a win bonus,in fact they don't receive any monetary reward when they play for England,the players agreed to donate it all to charity.

The myth has finally been exposed. Our country is overloaded with over paid Premiership players. The billions that are pumped into English football is a complete waste of money as it is put into the bank accounts of footballing mercenaries who really couldn't give a toss for our country.

The rest is given to English players who if they were half as good as their egos think they are would win every Euros & World Cup.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee and put a much bigger percentage of the billions into English football and not footballers. If Sky and co drop the budget so what it doesn't do the game any good anyway.

Really who deserves wages of over £10,000 per week? The wages that some players get is totally obscene and a complete waste of money when so many of the fans who loyally turn up every week haven't a spare quid to scratch their backsides with!!

It really makes me question the ethics of those in charge of Premiership football.

It won't change,the big boys Sky and BT will keep pumping money into the 'Best,richest league in the world' and Icelandics will be all too happy to pay their subscriptions to watch it.

One thing has stood out for me with regards to England, just how bad we've gradually got with each game. Yes we beat Wales in the 2nd game, but we played better against Russia. Then Slovakia, and ultimately last night, saw the team completely ruined. We went from a young exciting fearless squad to a team last night that looked petrified. Who's to blame? Hodgson, plain and simple. Players like Alli and Dier have gradually deteriorated from game to game. The lack of a plan and system up to last night was unforgivable. The reason he didn't have a plan is down to one player in my eyes. Rooney. He was widely regarded as our best player in the first two games. I disagree. He wasn't poor in those games, but he was slow, played it very very safe and simple and never really showed any glimpses of quality. Moving Rooney around to accommodate him showed that Hodgson was too afraid to make a big decision, and go with a settled system that promotes the fearless, fast paced game that our younger players have played all season. He bottled it basically. What we need now is clear, in my opinion. We need to develop a team. Look at Italy, Germany, Belgium and to a lesser extent (quality wise) Wales and Iceland. They are established close knit teams. We need a new, young exciting Manager. Eddie Howe. He needs to start, right now, moulding a team together with a system that they can play through qualifying, and hopefully, into a big tournament.

That's a great little article Beechy, I enjoyed reading that and it's pretty spot on. Your last bit about the manager and FA is the most poignant because therein lies the problem, the whole set up is for the FA bods to fill their boots and rub shoulders with the establishment elite rather than focus on running the game in its best interests or for the enjoyment of the fans. It's been the same for years, we had 'prince' Michael of Kent as FA President and now we've got Aston Villa fan (?) 'prince' Billy; what do they know about football? I doubt they even like it. Yet again the class system at work. Alf Ramsey even had elocution lessons to help him get the job, has that happened in any successful FA? They pick people for manager who they think will portray what they consider to be the 'right' image over and above who will deliver success on the pitch. I also think since Alf Ramsey was sacked the England manager has been told who the FA expect to see in the squad and team, hence we've seen Jack Wilshere this year because we had to have an Arsenal player in the team, even though I wouldn't get excited if Vale signed him plus he's been injured all season.

Since 1966 England have only won 6 games at the knock out stages of major tournaments beating Paraguay (86) Belgium (90) Cameroon (90) Spain (96) Denmark (02) and Equador (06). In other words we're rubbish and have been for 50 years now. Hardly surprising though when you look at some of the managers we've had: Don Revie, Graham Taylor, Kevin Keegan, Sven, McClaren, Capello and Hodgson. We've had the odd good ones like Bobby Robson, Venables and Hoddle but they've been few and far between. People like Brian Clough and Jack Charlton weren't allowed anywhere near the FA because they weren't 'yes' men and would have insisted on picking who they want and playing how they want.

Until the FA changes its attitude we'll continue to be rubbish even though we do have good players to choose from. Can't see it happening any time soon though.

I,m not *****phobia or whatever phobia it it but and this is going against the VALE but foreign players are a big part of our trouble, clubs should be limited to 3 players at the club, then hopefully that will bring on home grown players who can't get a look in now.

Is there a golden rule set in stone in the FA building that prevents players not in the "premier" league from being selected for England duty? you can more or less predict that those playing last night will play in the next international we play.

We need players who are passionate about wearing a England shirt, will run threw a brick wall to be in the team, who will come off the pitch knowing they've given 90mins of good productive football, even if they've lost can look the fans in the eye and say we did our best, and more important the fans know they have tried.

But the players we have now in most cases are good club players but can't cut it in the national team...

That's me done now to put tele on and watch the comedy of parliament and the going on's thereof...

They don't get a win bonus,in fact they don't receive any monetary reward when they play for England,the players agreed to donate it all to charity.

so they knew they would not win then...and the donation to soften the blow of a poor performance.

Great tweet from @againstleague3

The problem? The set up - the financial distribution - The FA - coaching costs - player hoarding. Blamed? The league structure.

I expect a renewed attempt to foist B teams on the Football League...

From the BBC website:

Shearer: "I went to see the Football Association four or five years ago and said I want the England job. They looked at me and said: 'No, you haven't got the experience'.

"I said you have hired experienced managers, spent a fortune on them and I could not have done any worse.

"I would speak to the FA now, definitely. I'd offer my experience, tournament experience. Even if Under-21 manager Gareth Southgate gets it."

Shows the FA's attitude. I hope Southgate doesn't get it, he'll be just more of the same but at least this demonstrates Shearer has some passion and wouldn't just roll over. Not sure he'd be a good manager for England but, as he says, he couldn't do any worse.

Great tweet from @againstleague3

The problem? The set up - the financial distribution - The FA - coaching costs - player hoarding. Blamed? The league structure.

I expect a renewed attempt to foist B teams on the Football League...

You're probably right but if they do that the chairmen of league clubs need to be careful because I'm sure I'm not alone in saying if we have 'B' teams in our league I will no longer be a paying customer. In my view if they do that they'll make the lower divisions effectively non-league.

Archived