onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2016

You're probably right but if they do that the chairmen of league clubs need to be careful because I'm sure I'm not alone in saying if we have 'B' teams in our league I will no longer be a paying customer. In my view if they do that they'll make the lower divisions effectively non-league.

I think you misunderstood me. I posted it because I am 100% opposed to B teams not because I think it would work.

The Premier League and the FA are to blame but I would be fairly sure they will try and put the blame on the Football League in some way and try and impose B teams to try and "help" the national team.

In actual fact, a fairer distribution of PL riches (not necessarily to Vale and other clubs this isn't a self-interest thing but to grass roots) to help develop a decent coaching structure (stats show countries like Germany/Spain have many, many more youth coaches than the UK) is the way forward, not destroying the Football League.

The problem is that this is a long-term plan (a similar one Germany adopted some years back) and the Premier League is set up for short-term gain, there is no long-term, thinking of the good of the game planning in place there.

Advert

I think you misunderstood me. I posted it because I am 100% opposed to B teams not because I think it would work.

The Premier League and the FA are to blame but I would be fairly sure they will try and put the blame on the Football League in some way and try and impose B teams to try and "help" the national team.

In actual fact, a fairer distribution of PL riches (not necessarily to Vale and other clubs this isn't a self-interest thing but to grass roots) to help develop a decent coaching structure (stats show countries like Germany/Spain have many, many more youth coaches than the UK) is the way forward, not destroying the Football League.

The problem is that this is a long-term plan (a similar one Germany adopted some years back) and the Premier League is set up for short-term gain, there is no long-term, thinking of the good of the game planning in place there.

I didn't misunderstand, I wholeheartedly agree with you, I obviously haven't expressed myself very well. My point is that if the FA / EFL do this I think it will destroy the lower leagues and won't benefit the national team. I've been saying for years what we need is well developed youth coaching which, in my view, should be done in conjunction with schools. In my experience (as a former school governor for many years) the old schools football system has all but disappeared and kids just aren't engaged early enough or well enough any more.

I think I have read that every school in Germany has a teacher/coach trained up to pro standards, approx 20,000 coaches.

Thus they can spot and develop a lot more kids to a higher standard than we do with a similar sized population.

I didn't misunderstand, I wholeheartedly agree with you, I obviously haven't expressed myself very well. My point is that if the FA / EFL do this I think it will destroy the lower leagues and won't benefit the national team. I've been saying for years what we need is well developed youth coaching which, in my view, should be done in conjunction with schools. In my experience (as a former school governor for many years) the old schools football system has all but disappeared and kids just aren't engaged early enough or well enough any more.

OK. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

That's a great little article Beechy, I enjoyed reading that and it's pretty spot on. Your last bit about the manager and FA is the most poignant because therein lies the problem, the whole set up is for the FA bods to fill their boots and rub shoulders with the establishment elite rather than focus on running the game in its best interests or for the enjoyment of the fans. It's been the same for years, we had 'prince' Michael of Kent as FA President and now we've got Aston Villa fan (?) 'prince' Billy; what do they know about football? I doubt they even like it. Yet again the class system at work. Alf Ramsey even had elocution lessons to help him get the job, has that happened in any successful FA? They pick people for manager who they think will portray what they consider to be the 'right' image over and above who will deliver success on the pitch. I also think since Alf Ramsey was sacked the England manager has been told who the FA expect to see in the squad and team, hence we've seen Jack Wilshere this year because we had to have an Arsenal player in the team, even though I wouldn't get excited if Vale signed him plus he's been injured all season.

Since 1966 England have only won 6 games at the knock out stages of major tournaments beating Paraguay (86) Belgium (90) Cameroon (90) Spain (96) Denmark (02) and Equador (06). In other words we're rubbish and have been for 50 years now. Hardly surprising though when you look at some of the managers we've had: Don Revie, Graham Taylor, Kevin Keegan, Sven, McClaren, Capello and Hodgson. We've had the odd good ones like Bobby Robson, Venables and Hoddle but they've been few and far between. People like Brian Clough and Jack Charlton weren't allowed anywhere near the FA because they weren't 'yes' men and would have insisted on picking who they want and playing how they want.

Until the FA changes its attitude we'll continue to be rubbish even though we do have good players to choose from. Can't see it happening any time soon though.

I'm patriotic and tournaments always get me optimistic no matter what state our football is in. But I honestly thought with the likes of Kane, Alli and Dier in the side, players that haven't experienced failure with our national team in the past, things could well be different and that we would finally play with no fear. I couldn't have been more wrong! The way the players buckled under the slightest bit of pressure and expectation yet again was embarrassing. I can't exactly put my finger on the reason why, and I don't believe it's simply about money, but every other nation the players look like they enjoy representing their country and it brings out the best in many of them, such as the Icelandic players, whereas with ours they look absolutely terrified of making mistakes which ultimately leads to them making plenty. Mentally our players are extremely fragile and something has to be done about it. I do believe that techniically we've caught up a bit with the best nation. The likes of Alli, Barkley, Lallana and Sturridge when they play well are excellent on the ball. But our players buckle under the weight of expectation and have done for as long as I can remember, including genuine world-class footballers such as Lampard and Gerrard, two players that could have played for any club side in the world.

How I only wish we has someone as tactically astute as Italy and Chelsea's Antonio Conte. Though even he would struggle until something changes at grass root level.

https://t.co/NXPnEVi6Ow

Iceland boss comments about football in iceland,

Whether it be politics or sport our fundamental problem is the so called hierarchy are out of touch with the common man they represent , being distant and almost untouchable think they know more than the people they are supposed to serve. People in power need to realise they are there because of us (and not the other way around ) same as fifa,fa where own self importance and prominence is the goal which is to be protected above all else meaning the guy in the street isnt represented.

Football is like anything else get the foundation right with support ,energy,spirit togetherness, direction,organisation, the rest will come unfortunately england try to do it from the so called top meaning we never have a strong base just a hollow shell.

How can Iceland team with semi professional players , a player relegated with charlton simply because common sense and ethic prevailed and no one is bigger than the team with a track suit manager who understand their strengths and weaknesses.

The fa spent 90million on burton why not spread that around to grass roots football centres around the country, stop taking young players away (let them still be a part of what made them good)from grass roots footballers into elite academies (how many will break into a prem side), need to stop looking at the top 6 clubs for national side players as these look better when around true world class players (ie sterling best season with suarez) need to look into the championship or below where hunger love for the game exist .

well done Iceland and their track suit manager

They don't need to test themselves in foreign leagues, the mega bucks are right here in England.

Maybe the brexit vote might go some way to address this.

I really meant how many are good enough to play in Spain, Wales have one and they are still in the Euros. Leicester`s main worry at present is losing players to France and Spain, so much for the Prem riches.

Three tweets that sum it up:

Jonathan Liew ‏@jonathanliew 3h hours ago

The lesson England can learn from Iceland is that you build success from the bottom up. Infrastructure, coaching. Not a flash new coach.

Jonathan Liew ‏@jonathanliew 2h hours ago

Iceland didn't set out to create an amazing national team. They just wanted kids to be able to play football. All of them. Even the bad ones

Jonathan Liew ‏@jonathanliew 2h hours ago

As a nation we haven't grasped the idea of sport for its own sake. Which is why PL academies are thriving and playing fields are closing.

Some thoughtful and reflective posts above. Good stuff, Beechy, yes.

I have to say that I'm not totally surprised because it always happens to us but the manner of the defeat was appalling wasn't it?

I actually felt sorry for Kane because the frustration was etched in his face and why Hodgson kept him on I don't know.

Iceland reminded me of Leicester City. On paper, nowt special, but they play as a TEAM with a system and a way of playing. They don't mess players about and play lads who are unfit. They know what they are doing.

Did Hodgson ever know his best XI? In the last 12 months has he ever played everyone in their correct club positions? He's clearly a nice bloke (and a very rich one!) but totally out of his depth.

We need to pick our best team and play to a system, not tinker around constantly.

We might get somewhere then but last night plumbed the depths. It's the most abject and useless display I can ever recall from our national team. We couldn't even pass the ball. The players froze - which kind of says it all against Iceland!

Words fail me. I had abandoned England a few years ago when the Golden Generation only referred to their wages. I think the last England team I actually thought were ok was probably back to France 98, maybe when they beat Germany 5-1. Anyway we're talking 15 years.

The last World Cup I enjoyed purely on watching the other teams. I had no interest in England whatsoever. This time I saw a couple of highlights and thought, actually things seem to be promising. But I was wrong. So wrong.

Players seem to be coached in technique in order play tippy tappy stuff. But there's no individuality. No spark of invention. Seems that it might have been coached out of them. On the other side, it looks like you can play 10 games and become a full international. That stinks. They've got no experience to fall back on ... I mean, defending a long throw and then having the excuse "we don't have them in the Premiership." as one commentator said.

Before the match the commentator said it was a team of the 80s vs the team of today. I agree... a pre-Sky, pre-Premiership team against the over paid, over protected bunch of no hopers against a team of players that have desire.

Dreadful.

Utterly dreadful.

I'll be writing a rather long email to the FA, Premiership and a multitude of media outlets. I don't care if it gets binned or what but I can't let this slide. The money has rotted the game.

I think it was either Robbie Fowler or Michael Owen that used to clean Ian Rush's boots. They felt it was an honour. Wonder if that sort of thing still happens. Probably not. I'd stop picking players from the Premiership and just pick Championship players. The hunger is there.

Good post from Beechy and agree with Sage above. The sad thing is it's not too much of a surprise in someways, I desparately hoped England would prove me wrong in this tournament but with each game you could see it coming.

Sad as I felt we had the makings of a good squad but a few bad selections in the squad, bad tactics and formations have cost us dearly and whilst the players have to take some of the blame the buck stops with Roy. I like the bloke but his cv suggests whenevers he's had a slightly bigger job(Inter Milan, Liverpool and now England) he's achieved very little a shame as he did a cracking job with Fulham and well with West Brom.

Moving on to the new manager point I've seen a few people mention Sam Allardyce on social media etc. I actual wouldn't be aversed to that despite the not so attractive football, unfortunately the yes man approach from the FA as mentioned will probably rule someone of that ilk out!

Archived