onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2016

Advert

I really don't think England could give Portugal a good game, Portugal are hard to beat and the thought of Ronaldo against a combination of unfit, tired, demotivated and frankly very average players like Deli Alli, Sturridge, Sterling, even Rooney was pathetic against Iceland, passes astray by the shedload.

Squad players who are really seriously lacking in talent like Lallana and Henderson don't help much, and I am amazed the manager gets the blame with such limited resources of talent.

One of the biggest problems was over-confidence, winning all the games in a laughable group, which did no favours at all,looking back those groups were so unbalanced - in Icelands group they had Czech republic, Turkey and Holland - Engfland got San Marino, Lithuania and only Switzerland as a half-decent opposition. It's pretty much the same for the next World Cup.

But those who post that England have great players are just setting themselves up for more heartache with this bunch, regardless of the new manager.

You dont half post some drivel, average players like Sturridge , Sterling and Alli? Didnt Alli win young player, Sturridge is average, spiders 43 premier league goals in 55 starts is average. Sterling has the potential to be quality but a lack of confidence and mismanagement made him the scape goat this tournament. Rooney was pathetic, no wonder when hes playing as a centre mid having played centre forward for the last 16 years of his career. Lallana average? 25m average, you clearly dont watch football.

How can you say over confidence was the problem? We lacked any confidence,that was the problem, we started with players out of position, new formation having played one way for the last 10 qualifiers this was changed going into the tournament. Our problem was lack of leadership on and off the pitch, nothing to do with quality or over confidence. iceland have no quality and they fared ok, drivel your way out of that argument.

Just be thankful they beat England - I dread to think what a France team playing like that would have done to almost-Championship standard players like Deli Alli, Sterling, Henderson and the like.

It was bad enough to lose 2-1 to Iceland, but if France had scored 6 or 7 against England it wouldn't have been much fun.

Proves the point of my previous post about just how ineffective this current bunch of England players are,

England have beaten all four semi-finalists since November.

England have beaten all four semi-finalists since November.

I love stats, and that is a great one - and I'm not being patronising.

But Jacko, you know what I'm going to reply - only in friendlies and the last minute goal against Wales which ultimately was more of an own goal.

Friendlies are not quite worthless, but often not as competitive as they should be.

So I'll throw a question back - when did England last beat each of the other 3 in a competitive FINALS match (Euros or WC, not qualifying). You'll have to look back a little longer than November for the answer to that one.

You dont half post some drivel, average players like Sturridge , Sterling and Alli? Didnt Alli win young player, Sturridge is average, spiders 43 premier league goals in 55 starts is average. Sterling has the potential to be quality but a lack of confidence and mismanagement made him the scape goat this tournament. Rooney was pathetic, no wonder when hes playing as a centre mid having played centre forward for the last 16 years of his career. Lallana average? 25m average, you clearly dont watch football.

How can you say over confidence was the problem? We lacked any confidence,that was the problem, we started with players out of position, new formation having played one way for the last 10 qualifiers this was changed going into the tournament. Our problem was lack of leadership on and off the pitch, nothing to do with quality or over confidence. iceland have no quality and they fared ok, drivel your way out of that argument.

I don't need to get out of any argument - my remarks were based on the 4 performances and they clearly looked average players at best. What they did against Aston Villa & co, months ago matters little when they are in the finals of a major tournament.

They were over-confident in that they expected to waltz past Iceland, and could not change gear when needed.

Save the 'you don't watch football' rubbish - Lallana could have cost £100m for all I care, if he performs like a championship reserve when it matters for England, then his transfer fee fails to matter.

You seem to follow my posts,. so you'll notice I am never/very very rarelyt critical of Vale, but with England the players need to be given a good shaking by the throats if they are ever to achieve anything again in the future. Whatever formatiuon or positioning of any combination of that squad would have struggled and the manager is only 50 per cent of the problem at most.

I don't need to get out of any argument - my remarks were based on the 4 performances and they clearly looked average players at best. What they did against Aston Villa & co, months ago matters little when they are in the finals of a major tournament.

They were over-confident in that they expected to waltz past Iceland, and could not change gear when needed.

Save the 'you don't watch football' rubbish - Lallana could have cost £100m for all I care, if he performs like a championship reserve when it matters for England, then his transfer fee fails to matter.

You seem to follow my posts,. so you'll notice I am never/very very rarelyt critical of Vale, but with England the players need to be given a good shaking by the throats if they are ever to achieve anything again in the future. Whatever formatiuon or positioning of any combination of that squad would have struggled and the manager is only 50 per cent of the problem at most.

So we rate players on four performances and most of them out of their usual position? Sterling didnt play against Slovakia, so three, Rooney and sturffidge were out of position in all four games, yet he still managed to score against wales. Lallana was out of position too, for the last 4 seasons he has been playing behind the striker yet for England hes wide right? Its so hypocritical its un true, you moan about others being football managers and knowing more than the actual managers, then feel you can comment how much Lallana is worth????? Get a grip.

How can you say positions and formations dont mean anything???? Iceland just got to the quarter finals playing strict formations and using what ever tactics possible, England had no game plan, no tried and tested formation, players playing out of position (and for the first time for some!) it was 100% to do with the manager on this occasion and not the players, they can only do as they were told and by the looks of it that was sod all.

So we rate players on four performances and most of them out of their usual position?

The 4 matches were what counted in the tournament, so yes, that is what they are rated on for now. As I said, star shows against Aston Villa, San Marino and Estonia have long gone. Same for Russia, Ukraine, Spain and all the others that under-performed, although at least Spain have the potential players to be better in the future.

Sterling didnt play against Slovakia, so three, Rooney and sturffidge were out of position in all four games, yet he still managed to score against wales. Lallana was out of position too, for the last 4 seasons he has been playing behind the striker yet for England hes wide right?

Good players should be able to show their skills wherever they play, and neither you nor I are party to the instructions RH gave out.

Its so hypocritical its un true, you moan about others being football managers and knowing more than the actual managers, then feel you can comment how much Lallana is worth????? Get a grip.

Yes I do moan about a couple of 'experts' who constantly knew better than Page then Hodgson, and other managers. 2 on here especially - I ask again how with all their God given insight they are not professional amangers. I personally do not pick teams, tell managers where to play their players so criticise my post if you wish, but I am definitely NOT being a hyprocrite. A players worth changes constantly, Lallana at the moment looks like he wouldn't get in a lot of half-decent teams to me, and so do Henderson and Rooney. I expect Rooney to shine again though.

How can you say positions and formations dont mean anything????

I didn't say that - please quote more carefully, I said with these burnt-out prima donnas (one or 2 exceptions, Smalling looked good for instance), any formation would not be good enough. Big difference. If you have players willing to try and play with pride, like Iceland and Wales have had, then formation can be important, but the way passes were routinely very poor in the second half against Iceland, no formation changes could have helped that set of players.

Iceland just got to the quarter finals playing strict formations and using what ever tactics possible, England had no game plan, no tried and tested formation, players playing out of position (and for the first time for some!) it was 100% to do with the manager on this occasion and not the players, they can only do as they were told and by the looks of it that was sod all

Or perhaps they did have a game plan but were just not good enough to stick to it. Its only when a shining new manager comes in, they top the world cup group against the mighty Malta, Lithuania, Scotland, Slovenia and Slovakia then fail miserably in the finals that you'll agree - unless we draft in some players who look like they are interested and have some skills other than making sure their fancy hairdo's don't get messed up..

Finally, apologies to admin - justr realised this is on Euro thread and should be on an England one.

The Euros are very much alive, France v Germany should be a great game and Wales v Portugal is a superb semi-final too. I don't expect Wales to win, but they will give Portugal a good game and lets hope for a great final.

Its been a pretty good tournament overall, if we take out any feelings on England, and there is still some great stuff to come I think.

Couldnt be bothered to try and quote you, but you are now suggesting Roy had a plan. I think that makes you as deluded as him.

As for manager comments, until we have a proper manager not some FA picked puppet we wont have a chance and i was an avid follower of England and fan card holder, until Steve Mcclaren and the FA ruined my summer many moons ago. We havent had a manager since Sven.

Friendlies are not quite worthless, but often not as competitive as they should be.

The friendlies before Euro 2016 proved to be predictors for what was about to happen. Joe Hart was having a tough time, Hodgson's tactics didn't suite the players, England couldn't break down a packed defense, England needed a plan B/someone who could head the ball up top/a winger who wasn't totally out of form etc etc and it was galling to see most of these issues also occerred at Brazil 2014 showing Roy Hodgson hadn't learned a jot and was being paid 3.3m GBP/year to keep his head in the sand.

The one big puzzle for me was Harry Kane, he looked to be England's hope in the friendlies but even he sucummed in France.

Archived