onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Neal or Alnwick?

Portvale4

remember no hands BOSWELL!

Boswell was class compared to Steve Cherry, who played a few games for us about 1980, notably a nightmare horror FA Cup replay at Enfield where we lost 0-3, probably our worst ever FA Cup result though Chasetown and Canvey run it close.

It was the first time Vale had lost to a non-league club since WW2, best part of 50 years or so since losing to someone in the 1930's, and Cherry was highlighted on TV with a rush of blood where he charged from the goal, completely missed the ball with a ballet-style miskick and left the gleeful Enfield striker to calmly roll the ball into an empty net.

To make it worse, some of our fans had a mocking 'Who Are Enfield ?' banner prominently displayed that was on all the TV shots and pics in the papers the next day.

The faithful still went next game and just got on with it, self-indulgent whinging weren't allowed then.

Oh happy days.....:mad:

Advert

Boswell was class compared to Steve Cherry, who played a few games for us about 1980, notably a nightmare horror FA Cup replay at Enfield where we lost 0-3, probably our worst ever FA Cup result though Chasetown and Canvey run it close.

It was the first time Vale had lost to a non-league club since WW2, best part of 50 years or so since losing to someone in the 1930's, and Cherry was highlighted on TV with a rush of blood where he charged from the goal, completely missed the ball with a ballet-style miskick and left the gleeful Enfield striker to calmly roll the ball into an empty net.

To make it worse, some of our fans had a mocking 'Who Are Enfield ?' banner prominently displayed that was on all the TV shots and pics in the papers the next day.

The faithful still went next game and just got on with it, self-indulgent whinging weren't allowed then.

Oh happy days.....:mad:

I remember that only too well. Wasn't it a lad called Normal who had the 'Who are Enfield' banner? I wonder what happened to him, I used to see him at the Vale regularly but I haven't seen him for years, does anyone know if he still goes?

Well done Vale for decisive and sensible action, and nothing I have written reflects on any comparison of the two players who are in my opinion amongst the finest keepers we have had at Vale in 50 years, with only Ken Hancock and Goodlad and the loan period of Southall giving them a run for their money..

I would add Stuart Sharratt to that list.

I don't understand why Musselwhite is never on these lists of great Vale keepers. I think he was certainly better than Goodlad. OK, so he flapped at the odd cross but his shot stopping could be phenomenal. Played at a higher level than most too. I love Mussey!

Spot on. Best vale keeper in my life time.

I agree about Stuart Sharratt, great keeper, and though Mussy was a great servant to Vale, he was prone to a few clangers like the late goal when he dropped the ball at Everton before Bogie resuced us a replay in 1996. Never quite consistent enough for me, but a good if not great keeper.

And though some wont like it because of more recent conflicts and troubles, Mark Grew deserves a mention too as a superb Vale keeper - 2 penalty saves at West ham I believe in one game, and possibly the best save ever seen at Vale park in the Watford Cup tie midway through the second half in the 5th round of the FA Cup 1988 - Grewy was always a superb shot stopper.

Final mention to Alex Williams, a very nice and decent guy who always gave a good performance for us around 1986-87 before being forced to retire due to a back injury - one of a very small number of Vale ex-players with an MBE or any kind of honour probably, awarded for services to young people.

Well, the manager has made a bold and decisive move here and chosen to play Jak and let Chris go to Bury.

I applaud this as a wise business decision, and hope it signals that JA will not be sold any time soon, unless of course a silly £1m plus offer arrives.

But whatever our budget next season, we cannot afford the sheer and probably quite expensive luxury, superb though it has been, of having 2 keepers of such quality when other areas of the team are not quite so well blessed.

It is also unfair to expect either JA or CN to be on the bench for long periods when they could walk into any other team in the division.

Well done Vale for decisive and sensible action, and nothing I have written reflects on any comparison of the two players who are in my opinion amongst the finest keepers we have had at Vale in 50 years, with only Ken Hancock and Goodlad and the loan period of Southall giving them a run for their money..

Tch, You forgot Ray King ;)

I don't understand why Musselwhite is never on these lists of great Vale keepers. I think he was certainly better than Goodlad. OK, so he flapped at the odd cross but his shot stopping could be phenomenal. Played at a higher level than most too. I love Mussey!

Couldn't agree more.

Taking the number of times Musselwhite saved us when we had no right to expect him to, minus the odd clanger, he is well in credit.

Have never understood why the no more than adequate Goodlad is so ludicrously over-praised.

PS. And Jim Arnold had a decent season too.

Archived