onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Neal or Alnwick?

Portvale4

Advert

I would prefer Alnwick over Neal. I still like Neal and he's been great for us, but imo Alnwick is the better keeper. Plus, he's under contract for next season and Neal isn't, and I can't see Neal being here next season. So surely it's a good idea to give Alnwick the experience.

Can't really split them...

If we are going to sell Alnwick at the end of the season, put him in and try to elevate the price, then offer Neal a new contract with the promise of being first choice next season.

If we're keeping Alnwick and releasing Neal, go with Alnwick.

So I suppose I'm saying Alnwick!

The notion of a fans forum seems completely lost on you

But be honest, just stop and think... is it not the ultimate irony that a fans forum is about opinion (I think that is what you and a couple of others are saying) and all I did was express mine - which was not that you shouldn't have an opinion on one keeper over the other, but that RP is in a massively better position to decide. So let's back his decision and trust him No ?

Can you be honest enough to se it that way ?

Trouble is, we have had people say pick Campion last season for weeks and weeks then pick so-and-so, Streete, and throw Hooper straight in....all based on nothing, not everyone as I know some do go and watch them train and play reserve games... but a number of posters who have never seen some players even play say they should be selected.

I don't object to them suggesting it, its when they claim to know better than the entire Vale management team I choose to disagree with.

IMO Neal is the better keeper. Alnwick is weak at controlling his area and coming for crosses plus his distribution needs to improve but good situation that we have 2 good keepers to choose from.

Don't know who you've Been watching but Alnwick is certainly not as you describe.

Differ 100%, guy who scored was only a yard outside (if that) Neal's left hand post and about 15yds from goal so not a very acute angle to the byline, if Neal had have been closer to his left hand post he would have been easily beaten at his right hand post, Neal's positioning was fine. The concept of a "keeper shouldn't be beaten at his near post" is moot in this case 'cause the angle is not very acute.

Goal was a defensive error not a goalkeeping error.

It was both a defensive error and keeper error. From that distance Neal should be saving that confortably.

IMO Neal is the better keeper. Alnwick is weak at controlling his area and coming for crosses plus his distribution needs to improve but good situation that we have 2 good keepers to choose from.

Neal was never good at controlling his area either. I can remember a few instances where he flapped at it and a weak punch resulted in an opposition goal. I would also argue Alnwick's distribution imo is far better than Neal's.

Don't get me wrong though, I still rate Neal highly.

Differ 100%, guy who scored was only a yard outside (if that) Neal's left hand post and about 15yds from goal so not a very acute angle to the byline, if Neal had have been closer to his left hand post he would have been easily beaten at his right hand post, Neal's positioning was fine. The concept of a "keeper shouldn't be beaten at his near post" is moot in this case 'cause the angle is not very acute.

Goal was a defensive error not a goalkeeping error.

Neal's positioning was not fine, it was awful, hence why he let it in. He wasn't even close to saving it, In fact he ended up diving back into the goal so even if he'd got a hand to it itd have still been over the line. Thankfully though it's a rare error from him.

It was both a defensive error and keeper error. From that distance Neal should be saving that confortably.

Low, hard strike very difficult to save and any football coach will tell you that's how to strike a ball at goal, will have to differ on this one.

As we could loose both keepers at the end of season/before new season. Offer Neal a twelve month contract now, with the chance to extend for a further year, plus terms and cond's, with say one month fixed time to except or reject offer.

Low, hard strike very difficult to save and any football coach will tell you that's how to strike a ball at goal, will have to differ on this one.

Nothing up with the strike. But from that distance Neal should have got it easily. Poor positioning. Looked like an error at the game and on the highlights afterwards IMO.

As we could loose both keepers at end of this season/before next season. Offer Neal a twelve month contract now plus the chance to extend for a further year on club's terms & cond's, with a fixed reply time limit of say one month.

Archived