onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Neal or Alnwick?

Portvale4

I'm afraid the last couple of games have highlighted some of Alnwick's major flaws and I think if Neal had still bee in goal we'd be 4 points better off. All signs have told us for ages the club are desperate to get Chris Neal off the wage bill and the 'mistake at Peterborough' excuse is looking a poor one now as his 'mistake' wasn't the worst and Alnwick has made two in the games since then that I'd class as howlers and they've cost us points, two at Shrewsbury and one minimum yesterday. He's got the potential to be a decent keeper but he's got to do a lot of work to remove the errors and, intrinsically linked, to better command his area. A keeper who doesn't claim the ball in his domain will never be any good. Sam Johnson has been berated for no more than Alnwick's done and, for me, is much better at claiming the ball, so, as far as the theme of this thread is concerned it's Chris Neal over Jak Alnwick every day (but that's academic really as Neal is obviously being offloaded).

I did notice he barely came off his line second half which I put down to confidence.

Again the defending in front of him for the goal was abysmal and Dickinson instead of behaving like a child should have clearly had his defence more organised but regardless Alnwick should have reacted much better.

Neal is definitely going to be a huge loss and l don't think he's been treated fairly at all.

Advert

I'm afraid the last couple of games have highlighted some of Alnwick's major flaws and I think if Neal had still bee in goal we'd be 4 points better off. All signs have told us for ages the club are desperate to get Chris Neal off the wage bill and the 'mistake at Peterborough' excuse is looking a poor one now as his 'mistake' wasn't the worst and Alnwick has made two in the games since then that I'd class as howlers and they've cost us points, two at Shrewsbury and one minimum yesterday. He's got the potential to be a decent keeper but he's got to do a lot of work to remove the errors and, intrinsically linked, to better command his area. A keeper who doesn't claim the ball in his domain will never be any good. Sam Johnson has been berated for no more than Alnwick's done and, for me, is much better at claiming the ball, so, as far as the theme of this thread is concerned it's Chris Neal over Jak Alnwick every day (but that's academic really as Neal is obviously being offloaded).

I agree and posted the same on this thread. Jak Alnwick is a good 'keeper but most people have forgotten how good Chris Neal is and he's still young for a goalie. He was extremely unlucky with the injury and its timing and we would never have "permanently" signed another 'keeper if Neal hadn't been injured. Barring major injury I saw Chris Neal as Vale's 'keeper for the next 8 years of so, sad loss if he does leave.

Neal was not at fault for the 2nd Peterborough goal, the phrase "a goalie should never be beaten at his near post" only applies when the striker is at a very acute angle to the byline (within 5 yards) giving the striker no or very little view of the far post, it doesn't apply when the striker is just a yard outside the right hand post and 15 yards from the byline and hence at almost a 90o angle to the byline giving him a good and open view of both posts.

I don't think there is a lot in it, although I'd favour Neal very slightly as I think he appears to exude a bit more confidence and control of his penalty area.

Yet, it's easy to forget that Neal - like all goalkeepers (think of the Liverpool lad) - made errors when he was in goal last season, including one I recall at Barnsley, funnily enough. He was at fault for the second Peterboro goal, in my view, because his positioning was all wrong.

However, Alnwick has been culpable in the Easter fixtures and has to do better. Age is on his side and he's played well for most of the season, so I wouldn't be too hard on him.

It still concerns me that, like Neal, he doesn't come off his line enough and claim high balls into the six yard box. And we can't blame Grew any longer for that! However, his kicking is generally good.

Outfield players probably make, what, a dozen mistakes in every game, but if the keeper makes an odd error he's punished. Alnwick has done very well over the entire season.

For all round ability I would definitely go for Chris Neal. Alnwick could eclipse him in time but for now Chris is the better keeper.

Agree with that. If it was a one off game I would currently pick Neal, who for me shades it.

If I was looking for a return/sale in the medium term then Alnwick has the potential to deliver this, and probably takes up a smaller share of the budget.

If, as seems likely, Neal leaves it will be a great shame (especially if we do sell Jak), as we will struggle to find another keeper like Chris

The one thing I can remember saying about Neal on many occasions is how nice it is to finally have a keeper who commands his area and confidently claims a cross or corner, now obviously Alnwick doesnt have this attribute prefering to try and punch but up until the last couple of weeks had him as the better shot stopper but hes been awful of late so its time for Page hold his hands up and beg for Neal forgive him and come back, we all make mistakes Rob lad!

Chris Neal every time for me I'd choose .

Alnwick was responsible for both goals over easter ,big games where bottle had to come into it ,he bottled it .

Stays rooted to his line I'd have no confidence if I was a centre half playing in front of him .

He was superb at West Brom away in cup bar the pens.

Hasn't been at that level since u ask him not me why I have no idea.

We win a Peterborough with Neal and next min he is gone on loan ,he should have been told no but Smurf likes moving players on who earn to much I am led to believe not that I know cause I don't

Utv

Archived