onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Neal or Alnwick?

Portvale4

Advert

I was left really angry with Williams on Radio Stoke and his comments about Neal and Alnwick. He is entitled to his view that Neal is a better keeper, which I don't share. But the suggestion Neal has gone to Bury on loan only because he is more expensive that Alnwick is deliberately trouble making. To me Neal looks like a player starting the season near the end - not his fault. He is not quite up to speed, doesn't look as lean as he might and has lost some agility. Meanwhile Alnwick looks in good shape and showed good form. So I expect Williams to behave and if he doesn't the off button for Radio Stoke beckons.

I was left really angry with Williams on Radio Stoke and his comments about Neal and Alnwick. He is entitled to his view that Neal is a better keeper, which I don't share. But the suggestion Neal has gone to Bury on loan only because he is more expensive that Alnwick is deliberately trouble making. To me Neal looks like a player starting the season near the end - not his fault. He is not quite up to speed, doesn't look as lean as he might and has lost some agility. Meanwhile Alnwick looks in good shape and showed good form. So I expect Williams to behave and if he doesn't the off button for Radio Stoke beckons.

I think it's probably true though. The financial side of it cant be ignored.

Tch, You forgot Ray King ;)

I never saw Ray King play, just a few seasons before my time, though of course I read about his exploits with great interest. I'm pretty sure Ken hancock was in goal for my first Vale game. No offence to those goalkeepers no mentioned, it is a position Vale have generally been well served in throughout my time supporting them.

Anyone going to attempt a full list of post-1960 Vale keeprs ?

L'll chuck the following in - apologies to any missed, and not in exact but roiughly in date order -

Ken Hancock

Reg Davies

Jimmy O'Neill

Keith Ball

Geoff Hickson

Mikija Aleksic

Stuart Sharratt

Alan Boswell

Reg Edwards

John Connaughton

Brian Lloyd

Trevor Dance

Mark Harrison

Jim Arnold

Neville Southall (loan)

Alex Williams

Chris Pearce

Mark Grew

Barry Siddall

Arjen van Heusden

Trevor Wood

Paul Musselwhite

Kevin Pilkington

Jon Brain

Dean Delaney

Mark Goodlad

Jon Anyon

Daniel Lloyd-Weston

Stuart Tomlinson

Chris Martin

Sam Johnson

Chris Neal

Jak Alnwych

(Ryan Boot)

Im not a fan of ray williams largely due to his arrogance towaeds myself & a few other fans a few seasons back when Dean Glover was in charge. However he does speak the truth on this occassion. Bury will be paying Neals wages in full & no doubt a small fee on top which takes his wages off our bill.

We should come to expect more of this over the summer if smurf carries out his threat of major budget cuts. If he does we will not be retaining the likes of O'connor et al.

As for who is the better keeper, they are both excellent & we are lucky to be in this position however im guessing Neal will begone & if in the summer someone comes in with silly money then we will be saying goodbye to Alnwick too....then we will be short of quality inthis department too.

I'm very surprised not to see a mention of Mark Harrison, one of the very few keepers we have actually sold. Best performance by a Vale Keeper in my time: Neville Southall for Vale at Bury in goalless draw.

That save from Tommy Gore...........World class.

I never saw Ray King play, just a few seasons before my time, though of course I read about his exploits with great interest. I'm pretty sure Ken hancock was in goal for my first Vale game. No offence to those goalkeepers no mentioned, it is a position Vale have generally been well served in throughout my time supporting them.

L'll chuck the following in - apologies to any missed, and not in exact but roiughly in date order -

Ken Hancock

Reg Davies

Jimmy O'Neill

Keith Ball

Geoff Hickson

Mikija Aleksic

Stuart Sharratt

Alan Boswell

Reg Edwards

John Connaughton

Brian Lloyd

Trevor Dance

Mark Harrison

Jim Arnold

Neville Southall (loan)

Alex Williams

Chris Pearce

Mark Grew

Barry Siddall

Arjen van Heusden

Trevor Wood

Paul Musselwhite

Kevin Pilkington

Jon Brain

Dean Delaney

Mark Goodlad

Jon Anyon

Daniel Lloyd-Weston

Stuart Tomlinson

Chris Martin

Sam Johnson

Chris Neal

Jak Alnwych

(Ryan Boot)

In my early days of the late 60s we had 2 lads who I don't think made the first team when Stuart Sherratt was number one, Billy's mcnulty and Mick Lawton better known as Mick Miller who went on to be in the comedians on tv

Ken Hancock

Reg Davies

Jimmy O'Neill

Keith Ball

Geoff Hickson

Mikija Aleksic

Stuart Sharratt

Alan Boswell

Reg Edwards

John Connaughton

Brian Lloyd

Trevor Dance

Mark Harrison

Jim Arnold

Neville Southall (loan)

Alex Williams

Chris Pearce

Mark Grew

Barry Siddall

Arjen van Heusden

Trevor Wood

Paul Musselwhite

Kevin Pilkington

Jon Brain

Dean Delaney

Mark Goodlad

Jon Anyon

Daniel Lloyd-Weston

Stuart Tomlinson

Chris Martin

Sam Johnson

Chris Neal

Jak Alnwych

(Ryan Boot)

Mike Stowell

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Stowell

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid the last couple of games have highlighted some of Alnwick's major flaws and I think if Neal had still bee in goal we'd be 4 points better off. All signs have told us for ages the club are desperate to get Chris Neal off the wage bill and the 'mistake at Peterborough' excuse is looking a poor one now as his 'mistake' wasn't the worst and Alnwick has made two in the games since then that I'd class as howlers and they've cost us points, two at Shrewsbury and one minimum yesterday. He's got the potential to be a decent keeper but he's got to do a lot of work to remove the errors and, intrinsically linked, to better command his area. A keeper who doesn't claim the ball in his domain will never be any good. Sam Johnson has been berated for no more than Alnwick's done and, for me, is much better at claiming the ball, so, as far as the theme of this thread is concerned it's Chris Neal over Jak Alnwick every day (but that's academic really as Neal is obviously being offloaded).

Archived