onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Port Vale 3 Chesterfield 2, post match comments

mr.hobblesworth

Attendance well considering the weather which was horrible and cold was average but u can understand why folk didn't come I had two pairs of socks on and I was freezing .

We don't have the support unfortunately but two impressive home wins v Shrewsbury and Chesterfield and some cracking goals especially from dodds u would think we could attract more .

It's so important that Vale progress in the cup and beat a team they ain't meant to beat that's the key to new support unfortunately we have to many part time supporters like meself .

Horrible weather? Come on, it was sunny and brisk! It's November for goodness' sake.

Poxy support, no doubt about it. God knows what the crowd would have been if we'd lost the last few games.

Advert

Arguably our best win of the season so far in view of the circumstances.

McGivern played well - made a tremendous sliding tackle 2nd half as their man was about to pull the trigger BUT.....as I've said before there is always at least one mistake per game and that is why we will never keep clean sheets with him at centre half.

Dicko also had a strange game, very up and down, particularly his distribution which was terrible at times. I would be tempted to rest him Tuesday and bring Streete back in with McGivern moving to the left.

I would give Kelly another go. Yes he faded 2nd half but that was largely because we struggled to keep the ball at times and so everything was going down our right.

Agree with all the comments re Folely, and I think AJLS is such an intelligent footballer. The way he pulled their defender out of the way for Dodds goal probably went unnoticed but was really clever play. I think was just edged by the typically excellent Grant for MoM.

It did feel at times like we were the away side and so as one poster rightly points out, it's a mystery why we are so bad away.

Re the use of the substitions, I think Page would have preferred to change things sooner, but what options did we have given the conditions?? Uche wouldn't have been able to stay upright, it wasn't a game to be trying JJ and Daniel looked hopeless, with his first contribution being to run the ball out of plays for a goal kick!!

I think I'll be happy with a point on Tuesday, although 3 would be most welcome since we have a trip to another bogey ground to look forward to where we will no doubt concede in injury time as seems to be the norm at Rochdale.

Its so refreshing to have a very positive thread tonight enjoyed reading all the praise for a change I think sometimes certain fans enjoy it when we lose so they can attack the team or page or smurf or other fans anyway great result keep it up lads and stuff it down their throats

The usual suspects missing from the post-match thread,probably waiting to see when we lose again? :rolleyes:

What has happened to AJ? Scored 4 goals in 3 games. We knew it would come for him. Maybe he could be the goalscorer we need. Well done to Sam Kelly on getting his first senior goal in professional football and set up AJ's goal.

I wonder if Crewe are regretting letting Grant and AJ go now..... Grant looks like our best signing of the summer.

On wards and Upwards. Come on Vale :)!!

I agree but it's not clear cut, Purkiss & Foley are also tremendous. It's a very good thing that the new signings are all playing so well

I felt Ant Grant just edged MOM, in front of McGivern who, with Duffy, was very solid at the back. Don't be petty by saying his header to their player led to a goal - you have a split-second to decide where to put the ball for the best, and a player running in often isn't seen until too late.

Exactly, which is why I couldn't understand blaming Yates for Barnsley's goal last week.

Pre-match. Thought we get a draw. On paper Chesterfield look very strong and coupled with Vale playing 48hours before I figured us hanging on. In the end I was disappointed with Chesterfield. To their credit they were dedicated to playing it on the ground and Morsy is turning into a fine midfielder. Good on him - hope he continues to improve.

However Chesterfield I felt were a bit powderpuff in the final 3rd - great in possession but not enough cut and thrust. I've read Dean Saunders thinks they should have got something and when you think of the Ebanks-Blake miss from 6 yards you'd probably be right. Of all the teams Saunders has managed this does look the best - usually they look crap and he gets the sack pretty quickly.

Strange start to the match though. Almost like both sides were cold at the back.

Now onto Vale.

Thought every player on the pitch gave everything they had. Grant should be playing in the Championship. If he scored goals as well I'd say Premiership at the very least. He's the best signing outfield signing Vale have made, possibly this century.

Alnwick: Brilliant tip over. How brilliant that Vale have someone like Neal on the bench.

Yates: Ok we know he isn't as good as Purkiss but he's a decent enough replacement.

Dicko: Another solid performance.

McGivern: I know some don't rate him. I know his misdirected header gave Chesterfield the lead. But I like the fact Page told him to just keep it simple and clear his lines. He looks a far solid player now that he has done previously. Again another + for Page.

Duffy: Best defender at the club by some way. Full of confidence and rarely looked troubled.

Moore: Gave Dan Jones (boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo) a lovely day out by giving him a tour of Vale Park.

Foley: I actually think we look a better team with him in the middle. His energy seems limitless. Showed some clever touches as well.

Grant: Best midfielder in the league.

Dodds & AJ: As a pair, one of the most promisng I've seen. Dodds looks a better player too. Great goals from both of them.

Kelly: First time I've seen him. Confident start and faded a lot in the second half. Given the apparent failure of confidence he had earlier in the season then I'm happy to give him a run and build on that. He will make mistakes sure, but he made some telling passes and crosses.

Let's give him a chance shall we?!

For all the anti-Page bods, look at the last few results. Here is a summary of October and November so far:

Sheffield - WIN

Blackpool - LOSE

Southend - LOSE

Peterborough - DRAW

Colchester - LOSE

Burton - LOSE

Shrewsbury - WIN

Maidenhead - DRAW

Barnsley - WIN

Maidenhead - WIN

Chesterfield - WIN

A sticky series of results has now yielded 5 matches without defeat including 4 wins. 5 wins in the last 10. If Page is learning then I say let him. That win is fine with me for now. Oh for perspective Kenny Dalgleish's win ratio as manager was 48%.

Patience is a virtue and very rare in football.

I flew in yesterday morning for this one and glad i did.

The first few minutes were farcical to be fair. Neither side could get to grips wth the pitch but our finishing was clinical.

We were good value for our lead at half time and the early second half goal killed it.

Yet again we conceded in the 90th minute and we must put that to bed. 8th time already this season. Luckily it didnt cost us.

Some great individual performances and a good team performance left me optimistic again!

Alnwick. 7. One superb stop to keep it at 3-1. I think that was where he picked up his injury.

Yates. 6. Steady game. Came back in the side and done well so far.

Dicko. 6. Didnt get forward all that much but quietly did his job.

Duffy. 7. Becoming an unsung hero. Without doubt, number 1 centre back.

Mcgivern. 7. I thought him and Duffy showed real signs of a pair. The pair of them kept Ebanks Blake quiet.

Grant. 8. What a difference 48 hours makes! If Morsy is worth a million, Granty is worth 2. Bossed the midfield.

Foley. 7. Looks a better player in the middle. What i like is when he is having a bad spell he never hides.

Kelly. 8. Knackered after an hour and so he should have been! Goal and assist in the first 10 minutes of his comeback! Tireless performance who gave the full back a torrid time all afternoon. Brave, correct call from Page. My MOM.

Moore. 5. This isnt a hate campaign but the lad isnt good enough. I counted 3 counter attacks that broke up in the second half because he either miscontrolled or lost the ball. 1 or 2 moments in 90 minutes but at the minute we are carrying him.

Dodds. 8. The enigma followed up Thursdays performance with another great effort. Cracking hit for the goal. Linked up really well with Leitch Smith.

Leitch Smith. 8. Wha can i say?! What did i say? Not good enough. Conference player a best....... Well on that showing im choking on my words. Involved in everything good going forward. Ran his balls off. Scored again. Liveliest player on the park. Improving game on game. Humble pie has never tasted so good. Superb performance.

You know, too many are quick to moan when we lose. Im probably in that bracket. But sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say you were wrong on certain occasions.

Page deserves loads of credit on the Kelly decision and his faith in Ajay, amongst other things.

We arent world beaters but what i saw yesterday was players playing as a team, playing for the manager and playing for the fans.

A hat trick of league wins has got the season back on track again. Lets hope we keep the run going on Tuesday. It will cap off a superb month.

I was glad when the whistle went though. I cant remember ever being so cold at VP!!

Yet more evidence that Page knows what he is doing for me.

A lot of people love bringing up the retained list as a stick to beat him with, but we've had Yates come in and do a job, McGivern has come in and done a job. Duffy has played almost every game (no one saw that happening) Colin Daniel has contributed, AJ although a new signing was written off but he has now come in and is in good form. We've coped without O'connor for the first 10-15 games and we're seemingly coping without Andoh as well now. Alnwick gets injured and we bring Chris Neal off the bench. I don't think we've had such a depth to our squad in recent memory. And we've got a handful of players who have that bit of quality on their day.

We've got a squad which may appear to be cobbled together, but actually provides cover and options and with a bit of luck on the injury there's no reason we can't have a decent season.

Good win today. Few of points I would make.

1) why on earth was the pitch not covered? Looked a little amateurish that did

2) why didn't we make any substitutions earlier? Given we are playing 3 games in 5 days why would you not freshen things up? Crying out for Uche to come on to hold the ball up. I am not strictly a Page hater, but I am unsure whether I have actually seen a tactical decision he has made.

3) McGivern may well have played well second half, but what a **** up he made for the first goal?!

1. I think we might have been trying to get it called off.

2. I was surprised but you can't knock Page for that win. I was more annoyed he left MOC on the pitch on Thursday when he was getting kicked all over the place and he'd already said last season MOC couldn't play 2 games in a short space of time.

3. No worse than Yates last week for Barnsley's goal. Most goals come from mistakes (their superb second aside).

There's a distinct lack of posts on this thread from certain posters.

Great result.

AGREED it was a much needed good result even if we had to hang on after we swapped a proper goalkeeper for "calamity chris" neal and played with effectively no keeper for a key period. Still the manager thinks hes good as he said in his post match P+G INTERVEIW along with a load of other spin about players professionalism paying for there own accomodation after the cup game on thurs when it was a lack of proffesionalism that caused the replay in the first place imho :shutup:

Attendance well considering the weather which was horrible and cold was average but u can understand why folk didn't come I had two pairs of socks on and I was freezing .

We don't have the support unfortunately but two impressive home wins v Shrewsbury and Chesterfield and some cracking goals especially from dodds u would think we could attract more .

It's so important that Vale progress in the cup and beat a team they ain't meant to beat that's the key to new support unfortunately we have to many part time supporters like meself .

But it is the part-time supporters (but full time fans) that swell the crowds. For various reasons people do not attend every game, and many could not do so if even if we were in the Prem (New fans would appear then). All that can happen is that they attend more games, and as you say some cup excitement, maybe the POs is looking closer than a few weeks ago, only time will tell.

AGREED it was a much needed good result even if we had to hang on after we swapped a proper goalkeeper for "calamity chris" neal and played with effectively no keeper for a key period. Still the manager thinks hes good as he said in his post match P+G INTERVEIW along with a load of other spin about players professionalism paying for there own accomodation after the cup game on thurs when it was a lack of proffesionalism that caused the replay in the first place imho :shutup:

What on earth are you on about?

Special mention for Louis Dodds who besides his attacking duties worked tirelessly to stop Sam Morsy taking to ball off their back four. This stopped them building from the back as they did both here at at Chesterfield last season. 26pts already and level with the Blades - can we keep it up?

Archived