onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Port Vale 3 Chesterfield 2, post match comments

mr.hobblesworth

Keep grinding the results out, revenge on the Seasiders next Tues will be the icing on the cake. We certainly test our defence, we clear the balls back to the opposition to give ourselves more practice, but it does my nerves no good at all.

When we were attacking though, I thought we looked more mobile than in previous home games of late.

Advert

Thought Vale were spot on today. Fair play to Page, he seems to have improved this team no end since last season. He brought in Granty who is the best midfielder I've seen in this league and was outstanding again today, brought in Purkiss who it's a class full back and is getting the best out of AJLS. But most noticeable of all is the improvement in our players from last season.

Duffy was unreal today. His reading of the game was first class and McGivern was also superb. AJLS is a player I thought was technically good but not a goal scorer, but he's made me eat my words this week. Well done all the lads.

Where's Freeport Mick?

And Fatboy Steve.

I'd love Vale to win every week, the bonus would be to not have to read their negative drivel again as they'd never post. I can only assume they're posting their doom & gloom on the Crewe Alex forum tonight.

A lot of folk slated Micky Adams when he released Sam Morsey saying Sam was a potential prem league player that would make mega bucks for Vale!!! Dunna think you folk have a clue,he is sh-te.

He didn't release Morsy, he turned down the new contract he was offered.

Still think this might be one of my favourite posts of the season so far (and I'm sure the poster is really pleased he was so wrong).

For me Kelly looked cracking in Pre-season and was a joy to watch v Getafe,i guess its a confidence thing with him and hopefully now he will show what he can do,same with AJ really,he looked our best forward in pre-season yet Page until recently wouldn't give him a run of games,i think his stats read 5 starts and 4 sub appearances and 4 goals which isn't too bad tbh.

Great result and hopefully more to come

Good win today. Few of points I would make.

1) why on earth was the pitch not covered? Looked a little amateurish that did

2) why didn't we make any substitutions earlier? Given we are playing 3 games in 5 days why would you not freshen things up? Crying out for Uche to come on to hold the ball up. I am not strictly a Page hater, but I am unsure whether I have actually seen a tactical decision he has made.

3) McGivern may well have played well second half, but what a **** up he made for the first goal?!

Delighted to win the game - largely because their front two were disinterested for much of the game and they were poor at the back.

But they dominated possession from the start and we often looked like the away side, trying to hit them on the break.

It was perhaps understandable given our heavy schedule lately.

Yet we scored three nicely worked goals and the back four worked heroically to keep them at bay, Duffy in particular but helped by Grant and McGivern in the second half.

We played ok in short spells after half time but never really got a complete hold of the game, though for a while after Dodds' excellent strike they looked to have accepted their fate and we began to play better.

But they had an awful lot of the ball for the away team and kept it far better than us.

Every high ball into our box worries me as we struggle to win anything in the air - at both ends of the pitch.

Nonetheless, it was a real gutsy and determined effort - topped by some good goals - and it's great to see us win back-to-back league games against a team who have got the better of us of late.

Credit to the unfussy referee. I know he missed a couple of blatant fouls on AJ and Duffy late on but he kept it flowing in tricky conditions and didn't wave cards around willy-nilly as some would have done.

I thought it was a good game today, first why do we struggle to clear out lines under pressure?! Page has got to look at that, players panic when they don't need too, we cause our own pressure a lot of the time. Second one - if Bryron Moore could look up and pick the right cross he'd be a world beater twice we broke with 3/4 on 2 and he stuffed it up the game would've been out of sight! Third one - Sam Kelly won't cut football at this level for long if he doesn't improve his strength, if he plays on Tuesday and comes up against a rough and tumble right back/midfield he'll be out of the game, far to easily pushed off the ball.

Whilst mcGivern played well in spells, he's a liability for me, gave away the goal with comical defending

Page - does he not see if a player is flagging?!? Left Kelly on far too long and then what did Daniel offer when he came, we were playing with 10 men when he came on, hopeless!

Right positives!

Dodds once again for me the best man on the pitch, work rate, skill, seeing a pass, that finish - very composed! MOTM for me. He's having a great season!

Duffy - a rock playing the best football since he's been at the club! Won everything!!! One thing he needs to keep in check is Yates continually going missing and the opposition getting in behind and Yates continually backing off, no good for anyone at the back.

Grant and Foley - they were awesome in the middle of the park, I think those 2 look a better pairing in the middle, without MoC.

Goalkeeping, Jak played very well and it was nice to see Chris Neal back on the pitch, when he came and caught that cross... Brilliant he's back!

Great finishing today, we had few shots but converted well!

If Purkiss doesn't get back in the side for Tuesday Page needs his head examining, the most consistent player this season and one of the best right backs we've had at the club for years!

Let's hope we can win on a Tuesday for a change.

Archived