onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Barnsley 1 Port Vale 2 Post match comments

Fosse69

You really are a sad person.

According to the commentators [who saw the game] Mr Adam Yates was one of the best players on the pitch.

Must be great being you

don't think you no how to quote properly mate? nevermind ay, can't all be perfect can we.

adam yates give the goal away, end of.

Advert

Uche did not seem bothered today. He didn't hold the ball up; he didn't chase down the defenders when they had the ball; he didn't win the ball in the air; he didn't look up when he had the ball at his feet; he didn't link up with Doddsie. AJ gives a 100%, links up with Dodds and makes intelligent runs off the ball. I know which one I'd play upfront and it ain't Uche.

The problem with Yates - and don't get me wrong I think he's a reasonable back-up - is that like McGivern, there's always a mistake in there waiting to rear its ugly head, and as we saw last year, they are usually pretty costly. Today it seems we just about got away with it, but we will lose more points than we win with Yates, McGivern and Dicko in the back four.

I'm wondering what's going on with Uche. It sounded on the radio he did some pretty stupid stuff (daft offsides, not chasing down etc) that rankled his team mates.

Thats Uche, you either get a beast you is unplayable or bambi on ice and nothing in between.

Uche did not seem bothered today. He didn't hold the ball up; he didn't chase down the defenders when they had the ball; he didn't win the ball in the air; he didn't look up when he had the ball at his feet; he didn't link up with Doddsie. AJ gives a 100%, links up with Dodds and makes intelligent runs off the ball. I know which one I'd play upfront and it ain't Uche.

Maybe homesick for the Smoke ?

Decent result against a team out of form but who have beaten Gillingham and were impressive against Everton. Same effort against Maidenhead should see us through. Shame Yatesy slipped up slightly for their goal but he had a great run to link up with Byron and set up Foley for the second.

UTV.

Maybe homesick for the Smoke ?

You could be right. He's not been the same since the penalty fiasco. He seems to have an attitude problem. I noticed when he came off the pitch he looked cheesed off and Bodin was in deep discussion with him. It looked to me as though Bodin was trying to encourage him to applaud the fans as he appeared reluctant to do so. Not surprising bearing in mind the stick he got.

Just got back from the game, here's my take:

If you were a Barnsley fan tonight you'd be pulling your hair out! I didn't think we we played well today and created next to nothing (apart from the 2 goals!). It wasn't a great game, and there wasn't much quality from either side. It was very scrappy and there were a LOT of hurried clearances and aimless hoofs from both sides. Barnsley were all over us before AJLS's goal. Alwnick had made a sensational save from Hammil's dipping volley in the first half. It looked a goal as soon as it left his boot but somehow Jak managed to fling himself at it and turn it round the post. But for all the pressure, their goal was a fluke. Yates' diving header was straight at Duffy trying to get out of the way, then the ball fell nicely for them and they couldn't miss.

Our problem today was we just weren't able to hold the ball upfront. Time and time again, Dodds and AJLS would either mis-control it or control it then get out muscled. So it just meant the ball kept coming back over and over and we were having to do more and more defending. I felt the introduction of Uche would help this but although he did better, he still looks off the pace and quite sluggish. Is he carrying a knock?

Foley's goal was a brilliant counter attacking goal. Moore sprinted the length of the pitch, played it inside to Yates who had ran up in support, then Yates pulled it back to Foley who hammered it into the top corner left footed! Us Vale fans had a great view of that strike from where we were sat!

After about 30 minutes the Vale fans gave a rendition of "Robbie Page, got no hair, we don't care" which Page acknowledged. Foley was our standout player with his energy and drive, so I was surprised to see Page substitute him. Page seems to have this habit of taking off our best player in the games I've seen this season. We did start to sit back towards the last 20 minutes but I Page was going mad on the touchline telling them to push up. Maybe it's the players who instinctively do this, rather than Page's tactics?

Negatives aside, we have to be delighted with the win, although on another day we'd have lost! Enough teams have do that to us at Vale Park over the years so I think we're due a "smash and grab"!

Just got back from the game, here's my take:

If you were a Barnsley fan tonight you'd be pulling your hair out! I didn't think we we played well today and created next to nothing (apart from the 2 goals!). It wasn't a great game, and there wasn't much quality from either side. It was very scrappy and there were a LOT of hurried clearances and aimless hoofs from both sides. Barnsley were all over us before AJLS's goal. Alwnick had made a sensational save from Hammil's dipping volley in the first half. It looked a goal as soon as it left his boot but somehow Jak managed to fling himself at it and turn it round the post. But for all the pressure, their goal was a fluke. Yates' diving header was straight at Duffy trying to get out of the way, then the ball fell nicely for them and they couldn't miss.

Our problem today was we just weren't able to hold the ball upfront. Time and time again, Dodds and AJLS would either mis-control it or control it then get out muscled. So it just meant the ball kept coming back over and over and we were having to do more and more defending. I felt the introduction of Uche would help this but although he did better, he still looks off the pace and quite sluggish. Is he carrying a knock?

Foley's goal was a brilliant counter attacking goal. Moore sprinted the length of the pitch, played it inside to Yates who had ran up in support, then Yates pulled it back to Foley who hammered it into the top corner left footed! Us Vale fans had a great view of that strike from where we were sat!

After about 30 minutes the Vale fans gave a rendition of "Robbie Page, got no hair, we don't care" which Page acknowledged. Foley was our standout player with his energy and drive, so I was surprised to see Page substitute him. Page seems to have this habit of taking off our best player in the games I've seen this season. We did start to sit back towards the last 20 minutes but I Page was going mad on the touchline telling them to push up. Maybe it's the players who instinctively do this, rather than Page's tactics?

Negatives aside, we have to be delighted with the win, although on another day we'd have lost! Enough teams have do that to us at Vale Park over the years so I think we're due a "smash and grab"!

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on today. Still can't quite believe it was Leitch-Smith who produced that brilliant header and agree it was strange to see Foley substituted because he had an excellent second half.

Page thought his legs were going, what with the heavy pitch and him covering a lot of ground.

There was no such danger with Uche - he was poor when he came on. If he carries on with this sulky demeanour, we shouldn't fight too hard to keep him come the end of his loan spell.

The trouble is, AJLS is NOT going to score many goals.

We were all over the shop defensively and simply don't have a wide outlet without Purkiss and Andoh...so we're back to lumping it to the 5ft nothing AJLS.

A win's a win, and I'm glad we banked the points.....but our style has disappeared!

Archived