onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer rumours and speculation

The rumours i saw crop up on social media yesterday is that Garrity could be on his way to Stockport and Chislett on his way to Charlton,lets hope if there is any truth in them at all(I am unsure myself) that they have deep pockets.

I also see someone seems to think that the retained list will be out tomorrow,my thoughts would be that it will certainly be out before the meet the manager on Thursday

Advert

8 hours ago, Rockape99 said:

They actually said structurally sound for the next 10 years due to some treatment on the steel .  We don’t know what the cost is of a new stadium v replacement of railway paddock /stand/bycars /drain replacement verses a new stadium ,it would be an intriguing comparison and it not an old nugget except to old fans 

We can find out reasonably accurately what would be the cost of a new stadium -

"Posh are aiming to build a 17,000 capacity stadium on the city's Embankment by 2023. The new facility is expected to cost £30-£50m."

"After being in construction for almost three years, Brentford Community Stadium was officially opened on 1 September 2020. The stadium, which has been built at a cost of just over £70million"

"AFC Wimbledon – Plough Lane
Wimbledon made a return to the Plough Lane after the new stadium was officially opened on 3 November 2020. This new stadium, which cost just over £30 million, is built just a few hundred yards from the site where the original Plough Lane, which was the original home of Wimbledon FC for more than 80 years, stood. The construction on the new stadium started in 2015. It has a capacity of just over 9,000."

So anything from £30 million upwards.

Which would have to be funded in its entirety, since I believe there is some sort of legal / council planning restriction which means Vale Park can only ever be used for sports activities, so could not be redeveloped as houses for instance to offset the cost of a new stadium.

In my view a new stadium is a complete non-starter.

The necessary renovations to bring Vale Park up to scratch would cost a small fraction of that amount.

Plus Vale Park is our home.

You only have to look at the south of the city to see what happens when a club sells its soul, gets rid of a historic stadium steeped in atmosphere and moves to a sterile Meccano-built box.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Alan Vit said:

"Posh are aiming to build a 17,000 capacity stadium on the city's Embankment by 2023. The new facility is expected to cost £30-£50m."

"After being in construction for almost three years, Brentford Community Stadium was officially opened on 1 September 2020. The stadium, which has been built at a cost of just over £70million"

Wimbledon made a return to the Plough Lane after the new stadium was officially opened on 3 November 2020. This new stadium, which cost just over £30 million, is built just a few hundred yards from the site where the original Plough Lane, which was the original home of Wimbledon FC for more than 80 years, stood. The construction on the new stadium started in 2015. It has a capacity of just over 9,000."

Which would have to be funded in its entirety, since I believe there is some sort of legal / council planning restriction which means Vale Park can only ever be used for sports activities, so could not be redeveloped as houses for instance to offset the cost of a new stadium.

The necessary renovations to bring Vale Park up to scratch would cost a small fraction of that amount.

You only have to look at the south of the city to see what happens when a club sells its soul, gets rid of a historic stadium steeped in atmosphere and moves to a sterile Meccano-built box.

My grandfather,  father and uncle all watched football at The Old Rec, so moving grounds isn't something new. You could equally argue moving grounds lead to possibly Stoke's best period under Pullis/Hughes. 

27 minutes ago, JRC said:

My grandfather,  father and uncle all watched football at The Old Rec, so moving grounds isn't something new. You could equally argue moving grounds lead to possibly Stoke's best period under Pullis/Hughes. 

1 hour ago, Alan Vit said:

32 minutes ago, JRC said:

Stoke's best period was the 1960s-early 1970s under Tony Waddington when playing at the Victoria Ground, which was a proper footballing cockpit.

Moving grounds isn't new, but it makes no sense at all for Vale for the reasons previously stated.

Would love to see the Bycars/Hamil/Railway Paddock knocked down and rebuilt. All 3 are no where near steep enough and offer awful views wherever you sit.

The Railway Stand is okay but you then have the issue with pylons blocking the view. Knock them all down, rebuild them as one solid stand but much steeper and closer to the pitch. Perhaps move the pitch over towards the Lorne Street, too.

As far as newer grounds go, I really like Shrewsbury’s. 3 stands similar to theirs (maybe slightly bigger) would be perfect. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, werstayinup said:

I know the majority on here wont like it but it wouldn't shock me if they were to offer Uche something for next season,they could see that he would be a handful for League Two defences if he had a proven goal scorer alongside him( I aren't saying it's what i want though)

Nor me. It was interesting that when Uche signed he remarked that DM had tried twice to sign him, so he was clearly an admirer. Whether he's still an admirer after some of the performances he's put in this season is another matter. It was also interesting to hear Sproey say repeatedly on Saturday that Uche would do well in L2, which has put summat of a doubt in my mind.

I think we'll find that after Charlton's interest Uche has his sights set on a club higher than L2. If we do keep him and Loft, we would then be lumbered by two forwards neither of whom has a goal in them, or very few. Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, werstayinup said:

The rumours i saw crop up on social media yesterday is that Garrity could be on his way to Stockport and Chislett on his way to Charlton,lets hope if there is any truth in them at all(I am unsure myself) that they have deep pockets.

I also see someone seems to think that the retained list will be out tomorrow,my thoughts would be that it will certainly be out before the meet the manager on Thursday

Surprised its not out today.  Get all the ones on contracts in one conference room and then DM can say - you lot - not in my plans - find another club.  Then go to the other conference room - you lot don't have contracts and are not being kept on - find another club.  Then those not in either conference room - can be told you are in my plans and being kept on or those with contracts finishing - we are offering you new contracts and we want you to stay at the club.  🤣

Saves all the little individual chats with them.

Edited by PVFC764

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

Bowman has looked worse than Loft whenever I've seen him.

Just my view though. He'll probably score 20 goals for someone now!

Not sure about bowman he’s 32 now although knows the lower leagues well. Can’t be any worse than what we’ve got. 1 in 5 striker throughout his career whereas Uche is 1 in 6 & Loft 1 in 8. Maybe nab Nevitt from Crewe? Had a decent season for them in that league. Think we were rumoured to be after him a couple of seasons ago weren’t we? He’s 1 in 4 for goals return in his career & a good age 

Edited by Vtid

I’d like to see us signing the better players from lower sides in this division. I want players that will be able to make the step up to league 1. Signings like Chislett, it may be more challenging to attract them now, but for me I’d prefer us to put a bigger wage up and sign players proven at this level and the level below than go chasing after Shrewsbury, Cambridge ect rejects. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Notts county have done their releases list.

Stone and Rawlinson have been made available for transfer.

It just shows that despite being under contract you can tell list players to find other clubs or make them available for transfer so it will be interesting to see who we do that for

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I’d like to see us signing the better players from lower sides in this division. I want players that will be able to make the step up to league 1. Signings like Chislett, it may be more challenging to attract them now, but for me I’d prefer us to put a bigger wage up and sign players proven at this level and the level below than go chasing after Shrewsbury, Cambridge ect rejects. 

Would you take that Chilvers from Colchester then?