onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Stevenage (H) FAC2R Match thread 12th Dec

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

I'll probably get pelters for this but I feel like fan culture nowadays only allows people to be 'overjoyed with happiness' or in 'the depths of despair'.

Quite often recently I've felt that we've all been overreacting, but losing from 2-0 up and then from 3-2 is very very poor.

I do buy into the idea of trying to play possession based football and the reasons for it:

- Teams playing possession football more likely to be promoted

- Allows us to develop technical youth players with higher sale value

- Enabled us to attract Premier league youth players on loan.

However it has kind have been sold to us that Andy Crosby is required to run that. I have no doubt that he is a good coach, but I think we are seeing he doesn't yet have the 'in game' management that comes with more experience. How often when we had DC in his pomp would you see him flip a game on its head (often preemptively). In fairness to AC the injury crisis hasn't given him much to play with on the bench.

If we are stuck to our model are we not better off hiring high potential 'flowing football' managers with a bit more experience. If they succeed and get poached it means we have had a good season. I know we'd draw from a pool of lower league managers but the type of thing Swansea used to do where each manager fitted and developed on a consistent style of play.

A final point in defence of AC, but subs last night did feel very much in line with the number of games we have this month. I am gutted about losing out on the cup money but if it helps us get a win against Wigan is it wrong?

Agree with your points about our style of play.

Revisit your final thought post Wigan result but either way Yes it is wrong!! Taking into account where we are as a football team, prize money involved it’s absolutely criminal to do what he did last night. You can’t play football with an eye on the next match when you are on a horrendous run scratching for form and confidence. You have to win today and then see what tomorrow brings.

Edited by MBE
  • Like 1

Advert

12 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

This idea that people are "voting with their feet" has to stop. I haven't looked, but I bet if you look at our average home gate this season, it won't be far off the average for the past 2 x seasons. Ppl going on like we've lost thousands of fans overnight. We haven't.

Last night's attendance was <ovf censored> because it was a Tuesday night replay which nobody wanted, ahead of next week's QF v Boro. Simple as that.

We have several homes games coming up in the next few weeks, including 3 this week alone. People are clearly prioritising certain games in the build up to Christmas based on cost. Last night was right at the bottom of the priority list for myself & I'd guess many others, hence the low attendance. 

My views on AC. I'm not a massive Crosby fan, but I can also totally understand why the club are not yet looking to make a change. A few points to flip things around a little & see things through the clubs eyes:

We're 6 points clear of the relegation zone with a game in hand on a couple. That's following an absolute stinking run of results. From a League position perspective, what were people expecting this season? Did ppl genuinely think we'd be pushing for top 6? I expected mid table with ups & downs & so far, that is exactly what we are getting.

Freak opening day aside can anybody recall a game we've been battered in? We've been in every single game this season, despite not performing particularly well at times (Cheltenham at home stands out as the 1 x abomination) & struggling for goals. We've lost by the odd goal v Bolton & Derby & not looked a million miles off it.

He's changed the style of football with a brand new squad. They have been together for 4 months & most are on 2 x year deals, including Crosby himself. He's playing in to the clubs ambitions around giving youth a chance if it's good enough. There's an argument to say (& this is all ifs & buts) had we signed somebody who could stick the ball in the net, we'd be comfortably top half & potentially knocking for top 6.

He's made a bit of money through the performances in the cups, including lining up a League Cup QF next week where we stand a slim, yet realistic chance, of pulling off a result & reaching a 2 x legged semi final in a major cup against a prem giant.

Hypothetically, if we beat Wigan on Saturday & are sat comfortably in mid table, then pull off a shock result v Boro to reach the semis, are ppl still calling for his head? I'd also ask, if we were having this season & DC was in charge, would people be calling for his head? I'll tell you the answer, not a chance. 

Last night was a kick in the teeth for the club. There's been a few results this season like that unfortunately. We were 1 x minute away from a potentially lucrative shot in the FA Cup, twice. It stings. I'll add, we went out to Exeter at home last season under DC.

Several home games coming up & I think the picture will become much clearer by the middle of Jan. This is a poor League this year & the standard compared to last year is nowhere near. Nobody (bar game 1) has blown us away & that's because there's not alot between any of the teams. Games decided by small moments of quality up top & lack or errors at the back (Bolton & Derby games).

I'm clearly in the minority from a OVF perspective but I think he should be given time. He would get the full season for me, including Jan transfer window. There has to be some continuation at some point, we can't keep ripping things up & starting over. I think lots of ppl are jumping on the sacking bandwagon without considering all of the points, because it's much easier to go with the majority. I genuinely do not think he comes close to taking us down.

Finally, if somebody had said to you at the start of the season that we'll be mid table come the New Year, ask yourself, would you have accepted it?

4 of the next 6 league games are at home & we've got struggling Wycombe & Carlisle away from home. We're 4 points off 11th placed Shrewsbury who we have 2 x games in hand over (they have scored 13 league goals all season & have lost more games than us). We're 4 points off 12th placed Northampton who have also lost more games than us. We have 1 x game in hand on them as well. We've drawn 3 x games over 90 minutes with 3rd placed Stevenage, 2 of those away from home.

Things aren't as grim as ppl would have you believe. I've witnessed much much worse following the Vale. Please show some patience & support. We are trying to build slowly, the club have been crystal clear on the strategy. Back them.

Valeforever - im sorry, but i really desparately want to disagree vehemenently with everything you have typed above - Id like to say that you are talking the biggest load of crup thats been on here for years!!!!!!!!!!!!

But unfortunately, I agree with pretty much everything there - well put you beautiful bouncing valiant 😍

May I add that Stoke have had 6 managers in the last 6 years 🙄😁

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

This idea that people are "voting with their feet" has to stop. I haven't looked, but I bet if you look at our average home gate this season, it won't be far off the average for the past 2 x seasons. Ppl going on like we've lost thousands of fans overnight. We haven't.

Last night's attendance was <ovf censored> because it was a Tuesday night replay which nobody wanted, ahead of next week's QF v Boro. Simple as that.

We have several homes games coming up in the next few weeks, including 3 this week alone. People are clearly prioritising certain games in the build up to Christmas based on cost. Last night was right at the bottom of the priority list for myself & I'd guess many others, hence the low attendance. 

My views on AC. I'm not a massive Crosby fan, but I can also totally understand why the club are not yet looking to make a change. A few points to flip things around a little & see things through the clubs eyes:

We're 6 points clear of the relegation zone with a game in hand on a couple. That's following an absolute stinking run of results. From a League position perspective, what were people expecting this season? Did ppl genuinely think we'd be pushing for top 6? I expected mid table with ups & downs & so far, that is exactly what we are getting.

Freak opening day aside can anybody recall a game we've been battered in? We've been in every single game this season, despite not performing particularly well at times (Cheltenham at home stands out as the 1 x abomination) & struggling for goals. We've lost by the odd goal v Bolton & Derby & not looked a million miles off it.

He's changed the style of football with a brand new squad. They have been together for 4 months & most are on 2 x year deals, including Crosby himself. He's playing in to the clubs ambitions around giving youth a chance if it's good enough. There's an argument to say (& this is all ifs & buts) had we signed somebody who could stick the ball in the net, we'd be comfortably top half & potentially knocking for top 6.

He's made a bit of money through the performances in the cups, including lining up a League Cup QF next week where we stand a slim, yet realistic chance, of pulling off a result & reaching a 2 x legged semi final in a major cup against a prem giant.

Hypothetically, if we beat Wigan on Saturday & are sat comfortably in mid table, then pull off a shock result v Boro to reach the semis, are ppl still calling for his head? I'd also ask, if we were having this season & DC was in charge, would people be calling for his head? I'll tell you the answer, not a chance. 

Last night was a kick in the teeth for the club. There's been a few results this season like that unfortunately. We were 1 x minute away from a potentially lucrative shot in the FA Cup, twice. It stings. I'll add, we went out to Exeter at home last season under DC.

Several home games coming up & I think the picture will become much clearer by the middle of Jan. This is a poor League this year & the standard compared to last year is nowhere near. Nobody (bar game 1) has blown us away & that's because there's not alot between any of the teams. Games decided by small moments of quality up top & lack or errors at the back (Bolton & Derby games).

I'm clearly in the minority from a OVF perspective but I think he should be given time. He would get the full season for me, including Jan transfer window. There has to be some continuation at some point, we can't keep ripping things up & starting over. I think lots of ppl are jumping on the sacking bandwagon without considering all of the points, because it's much easier to go with the majority. I genuinely do not think he comes close to taking us down.

Finally, if somebody had said to you at the start of the season that we'll be mid table come the New Year, ask yourself, would you have accepted it?

4 of the next 6 league games are at home & we've got struggling Wycombe & Carlisle away from home. We're 4 points off 11th placed Shrewsbury who we have 2 x games in hand over (they have scored 13 league goals all season & have lost more games than us). We're 4 points off 12th placed Northampton who have also lost more games than us. We have 1 x game in hand on them as well. We've drawn 3 x games over 90 minutes with 3rd placed Stevenage, 2 of those away from home.

Things aren't as grim as ppl would have you believe. I've witnessed much much worse following the Vale. Please show some patience & support. We are trying to build slowly, the club have been crystal clear on the strategy. Back them.

I do agree to an extent. I was wary of league 1 apathy setting in where we’d become bored and want much more than just be in the division and so it is showing. 

Last night from the comfort of my living room on the radio seemed a much better match than the first leg, although I was freezing through that in person.  

Stevenage are an impressive side and really we should have held on for a 2-1 win. Loft’s penalty miss is irrelevant on him because he got a goal which should be a far bigger deal and the match winner if it wasn’t for dreadful defending. 

Even so the recent run until Saturday was awful and this feels like another kick in the balls after it felt a corner was being turned. This match gave me some optimism it has, despite the silly subs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

And then you look in the opposite dug out who is an experienced manager and knows what he's doing with game management to get a result.

All 3 x Stevenage goals were scored by their subs

Now thats some game management.

How quick there side was compared to ours last 25 mins in 90  was like they had took drugs they were so quick and so fit and motivated .

They totally deserved win in the end because we gave them impetus .

Can see why they third .

They want to be successful a little club like them and Evans is a brilliant manager if he can get that out of his squad with 10 mins go 2 goals and non stop high energy then don't be surprised if they don't knock a championship club out in later rounds. 

Thought they were excellent .

Well done to them 

Crosby never even used Uche he didn't stop the non stop avalanche of pressure so for that and me having work all night pissed off he can go ply his trade elsewhere .

Positives for Vale have been overshadowed by ineptness of manager and on field captain as surely with 30 seconds left you shouldn't be deep that's down to the on field captain who once again has shown his leadership skills are non existent .

3 hours ago, Class personified said:

We have to differentiate the club, the community aspect from the playing side. Carol saved our club. We wouldn’t have one if she had not dipped her hand into her pocket. She won’t get that money back. It is important that the club is still here for future generations whatever division we are in. The club is an integral part of the community and it is terrific and right that Vale are so active within it. It is the heart of Burslem. Take the club away and the soul of Burslem has been removed. Those two aspects trump everything else. However we do have to try to readdress the football side. Massive mistakes have been made here and they need to be rectified. DF is simply all mouth and trousers with no substance to him at all. Talks the talk but does not walk the walk. AC is a decent man but is way out of his depth. Barmy decisions have cost this club hundreds of thousands of pounds. I suspect we have to wait until after we have lost to Borough before Carol pulls the trigger. We need a new manager in before the January window otherwise the footballing side of this great club will take us into the abyss. 

wish people would say its out of her pocket. the debt (money) is levied against her other business. Don't get me wrong as nothing wrong with that and its her club n all that until a time arises when it has to be settled or written off.

12 minutes ago, bomber said:

Well Saturday is going to tell us a lot! Attendance then performance! It’s a tough game but we cannot keep loosing at home and conceding goals for fun. Difficult times ahead me thinks .

Attendances haven't dropped mate. We've just got our lowest ever FA Cup attendance and barely scraped 5k home fans against Derby, but everything is fine. 

memes_baghdadbob_12.png.077202d7160816352f93f20a9dead70f.png

Edited by Mellor!
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sadly the manager team DF included are taking the fans for mugs. Treating the first team as experimental and completely ignoring the paying fans who have paid to come and watch the best possible team they can put out...losing last night was unacceptable and sits squarely on the management team. Following it with a condescending interview, accepting no responsibility merely topped it off. A mindset has to change, if not, a managerial/DF has to happen.

• Like 3

Well, at long last, we've scored a few goals, albeit the 3rd in extra-time. But what happened to closing-out games?  Late, late goals conceded sunk us again. Closing-out should be the stuff of basic schoolboy coaching, but we seem totally incapable of achieving this!

Our various cup runs have to a some degree masked the shortcomings of team & manager.  Unfortunately, having now been dumped unceremoniously, from two of these competitions, the 'cloak' has been well & truly, snatched off. We are now in the full glare of a relegation battle in the league and sadly, I do not have the greatest of optimism that the glaring shortcomings in defence & particularly up front are going to be addressed in the January window.

I sincerely hope that I'm proven wrong, starting on Saturday against Wigan, but I fear it's going to be long, nail-biting and drawn-out winter/spring. Mr. Crosby please prove me wrong!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ValeForever. said:

you clearly didn't go last night and witness what went on on the pitch, which may i remind you cost the club £thousands. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ValeForever. said:

I'm voting with my feet though. I can count on one hand the home games I've missed through choice (not including trophy boycott) in my adult life and two of them have been the recent FA cup games. 

I turned up against Derby knowing exactly what would happen. I am already dreading the Christmas run of home games to the point where I could easily miss one or two despite having a season ticket.

At least when I turned up to Michael Brown games I knew we would lose because the players were laughably bad. We have good enough players currently, but we have not even tried to score a goal in many of the last 14 or so games.

I get your sentiment but with respect, you are wrong if you think performances are not the driving factor in attendance going down.

For context I sat through all of the <ovf censored> spells in the last 25 years. I don't ever claim to be mental home and away fan but truthfully...you could put your mortgage on me and my lot turning up for home games for decades up until now. I felt relieved after Derby that we had 2.5 weeks until Wigan. 

• Like 5