onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Barnsley (A) match thread Sat Aug 5th

ollyandpatch

Advert

3 minutes ago, saintvaliant said:

We might have one less forward to face on Saturday - strong, if somewhat odd, rumour that James Norwood is signing for Oldham.

Apparently is true, been doing the rounds for a couple of days that hes turned Wrexham down to go Oldham.

Barnsley are in a weird position. Coming off a devastating playoff defeat, key player + manager gone, a completely unproven manager and signings, cancelled a friendly due to the manager wanting more prep time on the training pitch, and a good dose of pessimism amongst the fanbase. All the signs point to it being the opportune moment to play them.

Despite this, they've got a number of good League 1 player - Cadden, Kitching, Connell, Kane, and even sans Norwood they have options up top. We've got nothing to go on regarding Collins and how he'll set them up (though word is it won't be dissimilar to Duff). It's an away game in front of a crowd that'll be desperate to get over the heartbreak in May. A tricky first game.

I imagine both sides will play 352 and congest the middle, and the game will become a battle between the wingbacks - Clark + Grant vs Cadden + O'Keefe. I get the vibe that Crosby will go safe, experienced, hard-working, and steady for his first game, something like:

Ripley

Lowe Smith Jones

Clark Ojo Sang Grant

Garrity

Massey Harrison

(I have seen on Twitter an apparent 'leaked' line up which is a tad more attacking than this).

Then, use Chislett, Arblaster, Plant, and Thomas from the bench. These 4 and Balmer, in my view, will play a larger role as the season goes on.

Whilst we've seen Crosby manage before, we've never seen 'his team' - i.e. a team he's recruited and has drilled in pre-season. I get the feeling we're going to see less high-pressing and more sitting deep, but that's purely vibes-based and we could spring a surprise on Saturday. I think that we'll see Clark and Grant far higher up the pitch than Worrall and Benning, and that'll be where our chances will come from.

If I was a betting man I'd go for a fairly drab 1-1 - two rookie managers, both with lots to prove, aiming to avoid a bad start. They'll have more possession and we'll deal with it relatively well. 

Looking into the season, I think we'll have to persevere with through some initial conservatism and bedding in issues as a new manager tries to assimilate probably a dozen players. If we get through the first 10 in decent nick, I think Crosby will relax and the season can then become one of giving time to the quarter of youth-teamers in the squad whilst developing a playing style conducive to competing for the top 6 - anything above 16th is a good season with me.

1 hour ago, JoeB2 said:

Barnsley are in a weird position. Coming off a devastating playoff defeat, key player + manager gone, a completely unproven manager and signings, cancelled a friendly due to the manager wanting more prep time on the training pitch, and a good dose of pessimism amongst the fanbase. All the signs point to it being the opportune moment to play them.

Despite this, they've got a number of good League 1 player - Cadden, Kitching, Connell, Kane, and even sans Norwood they have options up top. We've got nothing to go on regarding Collins and how he'll set them up (though word is it won't be dissimilar to Duff). It's an away game in front of a crowd that'll be desperate to get over the heartbreak in May. A tricky first game.

I imagine both sides will play 352 and congest the middle, and the game will become a battle between the wingbacks - Clark + Grant vs Cadden + O'Keefe. I get the vibe that Crosby will go safe, experienced, hard-working, and steady for his first game, something like:

Ripley

Lowe Smith Jones

Clark Ojo Sang Grant

Garrity

Massey Harrison

(I have seen on Twitter an apparent 'leaked' line up which is a tad more attacking than this).

Then, use Chislett, Arblaster, Plant, and Thomas from the bench. These 4 and Balmer, in my view, will play a larger role as the season goes on.

Whilst we've seen Crosby manage before, we've never seen 'his team' - i.e. a team he's recruited and has drilled in pre-season. I get the feeling we're going to see less high-pressing and more sitting deep, but that's purely vibes-based and we could spring a surprise on Saturday. I think that we'll see Clark and Grant far higher up the pitch than Worrall and Benning, and that'll be where our chances will come from.

If I was a betting man I'd go for a fairly drab 1-1 - two rookie managers, both with lots to prove, aiming to avoid a bad start. They'll have more possession and we'll deal with it relatively well. 

Looking into the season, I think we'll have to persevere with through some initial conservatism and bedding in issues as a new manager tries to assimilate probably a dozen players. If we get through the first 10 in decent nick, I think Crosby will relax and the season can then become one of giving time to the quarter of youth-teamers in the squad whilst developing a playing style conducive to competing for the top 6 - anything above 16th is a good season with me.

Totally agree with your starting 11. Like you say, and I agree, may see Chissy? 

HELP - buying two tickets for two different ST holders - me and another

Our accounts are linked and I can remember a way of allocating one each to each account (so we both get the loyalty points) and have done it before - got all the way to payment page and can't see how - is it after you've paid??

Can't remember how.........any ideas anyone?????

19 minutes ago, mattyboy said:

HELP - buying two tickets for two different ST holders - me and another

Our accounts are linked and I can remember a way of allocating one each to each account (so we both get the loyalty points) and have done it before - got all the way to payment page and can't see how - is it after you've paid??

Can't remember how.........any ideas anyone?????

It should ask you for names and addresses when you purchase the tickets.  If you and the linked season ticket holder have got previous purchase history yours and their names will appear in the drop downs when you enter the details.  Pretty sure that’s how it works.

2 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

He's not going to start with the Swansea lad so you should start practicing your best seething face now

If he plays wide of a three, then I can go with that. He has been awful every time he's played in a two though. Might as well stick big Jase up there.

Archived