onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bycars Memories.....

ollyandpatch

Advert

Always remember the boys from Memoirs of Seth all coming into the Bycars  one game , just before kick off , all wearing yellow hard hats. Great sense of humour and a must read mag every issue. Think they interviewed the guy as to why he wore a yellow hard hat, so his mum could see him on TV was the answer. Simpler, happy times.
What happened to Seth? I love the Beano but miss Seth.

I’ve basically watched games from literally every part of the ground at various stages, but specifically from the games watched from the Bycars (which is were I started and where I now am….

1) Macc in 87 and Finney’s 85th minute winner that arguably saved Rudgie’s job and transformed the fortunes of the club for the next decade or so, starting with…

2) Spurs…. just wow. FA Cup football how it should be (but sadly isn’t these days).

3) Vale 3-1 Stoke.

4) Earle vs Brizzle for the last 2-legged POF win before they moved to Wembley.

5) Beckford hattrick vs PNE in the POSF.

6) Northampton game in 2013. Never has a 2-2 draw salvaged with an o.g. felt so good.

7) Burton 7-1.

8)Rotherham 6-2.

9) Corden scoring against the mighty-Bergkamp inspired Arsenal and the crushing blow of losing on penalties (I think they went on to do the double that year).

10) Proctor’s winner against Orient.

11) Finney’s back pass in the 3-3 with Sheffield Utd in 1988/89. Cannot beat games like that under the lights (disappointing as it was).

12) 0-0 with Wolves in 1988/89. Massive top of the table game, big travelling support…Glover’s debut and taming the prolific Bull.

13) Beating Stoke 1-0 in a pre-season friendly (think it might have been 89 with Paul Atkinson netting a pen?)

14) Vale 6-1 Cardiff and then I think we hit Chesterfield for 5 the next game.

15) First game after selling Andy Jones. I think it was vs Blackpool, was 0-0, it was absolutely lashing down, we never looked like scoring, and it was a surreal feeling of depression having lost a top, top striker.

As a young kid, running up and down the steps trying to find cups to put over disguarded fag ends so they’d fill up with smoke and go bang! My earliest memory of a game seems to involve Swindon which I think ended 4-4 or something??

No doubt missed a few but these are the immediate things that spring to mind.

12 hours ago, chickensteve said:
On 02/05/2023 at 12:24, The man in the pub said:
Always remember the boys from Memoirs of Seth all coming into the Bycars  one game , just before kick off , all wearing yellow hard hats. Great sense of humour and a must read mag every issue. Think they interviewed the guy as to why he wore a yellow hard hat, so his mum could see him on TV was the answer. Simpler, happy times.

What happened to Seth? I love the Beano but miss Seth.

Bumped into the guys from Seth at Wembley play off final. Still fans and attend games . However producing Seth and attending games home and away became more difficult as they grew older and families came along. One of the highlights of going a home game was getting the new Seth. Great sense of humour, fondly remembered. The reason I am called what I am is in reference to Seth, whenever they published a rumour they always said it came from a Man in the Pub.

Cracking thread this. Same memories as many posted on here. My first Bycars game was the Blackburn invasion in 1975, thankfully the Bycars was a safe place that day. Not so in 76 when Sheffield Wednesday came to town. It was great being in a packed Bycars terrace for the cup games against Hull and especially Burnley in 77. Like many others the Spurs win, Earle's unforgettable goal against Brizzle and Everton after the seats were installed, these games take some beating. Thought of a bizarre one today, beat Plymouth 3-0 in 1990 and we were protesting after they had closed off part of the Bycars around the period it was being re-built. I remember we pushed through the closed off section to form a mob back by the old tea bar! Eventually the old bill ushered us back to the front. Would be nice to see it pretty full tomorrow 🤞

Couple more to add…

- A half-fit Mark Greg’s performance vs Watford in the Cup.

- Beating Sheff Utd on Boxing Day about 5 years ago when the snow starting coming down.

- Thrashing top-of the table Luton 4-0.

- Marco Gabbiadini scoring a late winner to get Blunderland promotion with the Hamil and Denis Smith going nuts.

I've been in there once.

Can't remember against who but Luke Rodgers scored a pen in front of me. And no doubt promptly went on to get caught offside 47 times over the course of the match.

1 hour ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I’ve basically watched games from literally every part of the ground at various stages, but specifically from the games watched from the Bycars (which is were I started and where I now am….

1) Macc in 87 and Finney’s 85th minute winner that arguably saved Rudgie’s job and transformed the fortunes of the club for the next decade or so, starting with…

2) Spurs…. just wow. FA Cup football how it should be (but sadly isn’t these days).

3) Vale 3-1 Stoke.

4) Earle vs Brizzle for the last 2-legged POF win before they moved to Wembley.

5) Beckford hattrick vs PNE in the POSF.

Apart from the games in my first season in the Bycars, which I posted about  earlier, your first 5 match my most vivid memories too plus the Watford FA cup game mentioned.  Tomorrow will be my first (and last? 😢)  game in there since it was first closed for improvements post Taylor report.  Hoping there’s one last positive memory left.

UTV

Archived