onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bycars Memories.....

ollyandpatch

I bet there are many of the modern generation who have never even been in the Bycars as I seem to remember it was our promotion season of 82/83 when a decent sized group of us started to rock up to the Railway paddock and the club then spiced things up further by allowing 800 away fans to be seated behind us in the stand !!!  Happy days. 🤪

Personally my last visit was a 1-0 win over Blackpool during that season with a penalty 10 minutes from time which started to get us believing we could make the top 4. That promotion season and the years that followed meant many fans never returned to our traditional home end.

Jimmy Greenhoff's Volley from outside the box from a corner on a Friday night against York will stay with me forever as will a Phil Sproson 35 yard screamer against Bradford.

The days of ''Bury me under the Bycars" will slowly fade away as time moves on but for those of us old enough to remember the Bycars roar memories will remain.

Advert

Olly I was standing behind the goal Bycars when Greenhoff scored that goal. There have been some fantastic goals and more meaningful  goals scored by Vale at VP, but I still think that is the greatest goal, I’ve seen. The old refreshment bar at the back of the Bycars with ppl queuing in the centre aisle at half time. Also Brazil 3 Scotland 0, sprayed on the back of the Bycars. Then there was the Peter Mellor incident, I’m not promoting the incident just a memory.

First started going in the Bycars in the 93/94 promotion season and at that time it was the place to be. Had tried other areas of the ground but nothing compared to that round then. Strange that certain things stick in the mind but there was some bloke called Tom and I don’t know if he even still goes but there used to be a chant of “Go on Tom” and he always got the atmosphere going in there. Was never the same after Billy Bell brought in that membership scheme.

Favourite goals down that end were McCarthy v Everton, Corden v Arsenal, Mills with an equaliser in what seemed the 100th minute v the <ovf censored> and in the 2000’s would say Lee Collins (RIP) with the own goal that virtually took us up.

A few that haven’t been mentioned, the derbies, the “big flag”, the penalty shoot out v Gunners, Nathan Blake water bottle incident, during one of the derbies a Stoke fan being carried down to the front over the heads of fans whilst being punched, and, although I think it happened down towards the Hamil end, hearing Stuart Talbots leg break, ouch!

Biggest memory is the people I’ve met in there week after week, some who’ve now sadly passed.

52 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

First started going in the Bycars in the 93/94 promotion season and at that time it was the place to be. Had tried other areas of the ground but nothing compared to that round then. Strange that certain things stick in the mind but there was some bloke called Tom and I don’t know if he even still goes but there used to be a chant of “Go on Tom” and he always got the atmosphere going in there. Was never the same after Billy Bell brought in that membership scheme.

Favourite goals down that end were McCarthy v Everton, Corden v Arsenal, Mills with an equaliser in what seemed the 100th minute v the <ovf censored> and in the 2000’s would say Lee Collins (RIP) with the own goal that virtually took us up.

Tommy still goes in the Bycars.

My favorite player of all time while watching the vale John Rowland must have hit some thunderbolts into the bycars net,but my memory must be waning.The one shot that comes to me was not a goal he crashed the ball against the bar at the bycars end from about 25yards and the ball went back over his head the hardest shot i have ever seen my hero.

My first memory of the Bycars was bunking a day off school and trekking up to Vale Park.  I'd always been able to see the 'V' floodlights from my house in Wolstanton but not actually known what it was, what went on or attended a game, the rest of my family had no interest in football and the only time I'd heard of Port Vale was when my next door neighbour spoke to my older brothers about going to have a scrap with the away fans, I don't even think that he actually attended games.

I set off to discover what the place was all about, threatened with being thrown in the canal by a few lads from the 'Middleport Mob', walked up to Burslem and climbed over the wall at the back of the bycars and scaled the 'hill' at the back of the stand.  Stepping into the stand on a gloriously sunny day with the water sprinklers on the pitch, it was fantastic.

From memory, I think that was around 1980 so I’d be 11, rarely been back to the Bycars but that's where it all started for me.

Archived