onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bycars Memories.....

ollyandpatch

Always been a few “characters” in there, the most recent one who comes to mind is the elderly gent, slightly resembling Albert Steptoe and often seen with a shirt tied around his waist, who sits behind the goal and loves to relentlessly harangue the opposing keeper for a full 45 minutes, the non stop barracking drawing looks of frustration, anger, confusion and humour in equal measure.  I’ve spoken to him numerous times without knowing his name but I’m sure someone will know who I mean.  Haven’t seen him this season so I hope he’s ok.

Advert

1 minute ago, Guitar Ray said:

Always been a few “characters” in there, the most recent one who comes to mind is the elderly gent, slightly resembling Albert Steptoe and often seen with a shirt tied around his waist, who sits behind the goal and loves to relentlessly harangue the opposing keeper for a full 45 minutes, the non stop barracking drawing looks of frustration, anger, confusion and humour in equal measure.  I’ve spoken to him numerous times without knowing his name but I’m sure someone will know who I mean.  Haven’t seen him this season so I hope he’s ok.

Know exactly who you mean. Eccentric is the word. Think used to wave a Colombian flag 🤔

I was at Newport a couple of seasons back and he sat in front of us having driven there on his own arriving a good 20 minutes after kick off.  

Certainly a character and as per yourself I've not seen him for ages. 

3 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

Bert Llewellyn--now there's a name to stir memories!  Don't think I've ever seen anyone with such a barrel-chested person apart, perhaps, Stan Steele?  I suspect I'm a tad older than you as I started in 1953 (originally in Lorne Street with family) and then when i was older, in the Bycars with friends.  A specific early memory wa s an 8-0 thrashing of Gateshead on Boxing day with the crowd chanting for "doctor's orders" i.e. nine!

Crikey, yewth - I was there for that Gateshead game with me brother. Always felt sorry for Gateshead ever since! 

On 01/05/2023 at 05:19, hamilboy said:

My favorite player of all time while watching the vale John Rowland must have hit some thunderbolts into the bycars net,but my memory must be waning.The one shot that comes to me was not a goal he crashed the ball against the bar at the bycars end from about 25yards and the ball went back over his head the hardest shot i have ever seen my hero.

I was in the Bycars End when that incident took place HB. Fans around me all thought the ball had gone in and that it hit the stantion that held the nets in place in the goal, we all thought it was a goal but I guess we would do.

What a player John Rowland was, what a shot he had on him, Peter Lorimer....pah.

Bert Llewellyn--now there's a name to stir memories!  Don't think I've ever seen anyone with such a barrel-chested person apart, perhaps, Stan Steele?  I suspect I'm a tad older than you as I started in 1953 (originally in Lorne Street with family) and then when i was older, in the Bycars with friends.  A specific early memory wa s an 8-0 thrashing of Gateshead on Boxing day with the crowd chanting for "doctor's orders" i.e. nine!

For those who've never seen him before, here's one of the football cards of Bertie, all 5'4'' of him. Played for England youth, started off at Everton, then Crewe, then Vale. Scored one in two for us, so not too bad. 

port-vale-bert-llewellyn-22-11--183540-p

Bert Llewellyn, Rot Chapman and Tony Richards, all great players and goal scorers of the 60's for the Vale when I used to stand in the Bycars and could go for more than 90 mins not wanting a pee to avoid a trip to ........ the dreaded Bycars bogs

33 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Yeah I know  who you mean.

54 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Know exactly who you mean. Eccentric is the word. Think used to wave a Colombian flag 🤔

I was at Newport a couple of seasons back and he sat in front of us having driven there on his own arriving a good 20 minutes after kick off.  

Certainly a character and as per yourself I've not seen him for ages. 

24 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Yeah I know  who you mean.

You may remember one home game, can’t remember which, he spent most of one half shouting “LEGLESS!!” at the opposing keeper.  He somehow also managed to get some young kids to join in.  To be fair it wasn’t complete randomness, but my memory fails as to what the keeper did to deserve the abuse, possibly went to ground a bit too easily or similar.  It was absolutely relentless to the point where I didn’t know whether to laugh or cringe, although laugh about it now.  The keeper kept gradually moving further away, ending up about 5 yards beyond the 18 yard box when the ball was upfield.  “LEGLESS”!! 🤣🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

You may remember one home game, can’t remember which, he spent most of one half shouting “LEGLESS!!” at the opposing keeper.  He somehow also managed to get some young kids to join in.  To be fair it wasn’t complete randomness, but my memory fails as to what the keeper did to deserve the abuse, possibly went to ground a bit too easily or similar.  It was absolutely relentless to the point where I didn’t know whether to laugh or cringe, although laugh about it now.  The keeper kept gradually moving further away, ending up about 5 yards beyond the 18 yard box when the ball was upfield.  “LEGLESS”!! 🤣🤣🤣

Just recall most games pointing and gesticulating at the keeper. 

Was staggered he drove to Newport on his own. Mad as a box of frogs 🐸 

3 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Bert Llewellyn, Rot Chapman and Tony Richards, all great players and goal scorers of the 60's for the Vale when I used to stand in the Bycars and could go for more than 90 mins not wanting a pee to avoid a trip to ........ the dreaded Bycars bogs

In those days I could go through a game without a pee, my prostate wasn't the size it is now! :classic_blink:

3 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

For those who've never seen him before, here's one of the football cards of Bertie, all 5'4'' of him. Played for England youth, started off at Everton, then Crewe, then Vale. Scored one in two for us, so not too bad. 

port-vale-bert-llewellyn-22-11--183540-p

Brilliant! Thanks a real nostalgic treat.

One for the old boys........Is it my imagination but wasn't the Bycars split, one side of the tea bar Mods the other side Rockers/Greasers ? I'm sure that every now and again the two groups would have a bit of a rumble especially if the game was a bit drab.

Archived