onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bycars Memories.....

ollyandpatch

Advert

1 hour ago, smithie said:

Class songs in those days, even though as a kid I didn't always catch the words.

Was it "From the Bycars End of Burslem, to the shores of Sicily, We will fight, fight, fight for the Vale til we win the Football League...then something about Stoke and Division 2?

Also used to love "Bless 'em all"!

from the bycars end in burslem , to the shores of sicilly ,

we will fight fight fight for the vale , until we win the football league,

who the f are walsall fc , who the f are sjoke city ,

we will fight fight fight for the vale until we win the football league.

as i walked up the steps of the bycars , 
there once lay a poor city fan ,
there was blood gushing out of his forehead ,
and these were the last words he said,

won't you bury me under the bycars,
won't you bury me under the sun,
won't you bury me under the bycars ,
until my duty to football is done,

now when i go to watch port vale ,
i think of that poor city fan ,
if he'd been wise and supported the the vale ,
he might have grown to become a man 

11 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

Best Bycar memories ,Big Dave Regis stuck in the mud 'goal' , a classic.

Strangely a night match against Torquay, which got fogged off . Think we were winning 3-0 at the time. We blamed it on the  steam coming off the hot dog stand at the front of the Hamil.

I remember that as Aldershot?  Unless there were 2 games?

This is a magical spot for me. This post used to be a stone block. I stood on third v Spurs and a great view, I was only 11 so couldnt see anything when there was a big crown. 

My first match was in Bycars v Aldershot, spent time in there in 90's, then moved to the paddock as the atmosphere died.

IMG_20220813_150813333.jpg

1 hour ago, Family Stand Terrier said:

I thought the same thing, unless there was another game abandoned for fog

Me too, the same season (88/89 promotion season?) they went bust and we lost the points we’d gained off them. I was in the Paddock for that game and you could literally not see the Lorne Street when they went off.  

My first 3 games I remember well. For my first ever game I went as a teenager as a birthday ‘treat’  with my mates from Chell High School not having really followed any team though was a football fan.   We stood on the Bycars it was Feb 1984 we beat Newport County 4-2.  I was hooked and went to the next game (spending my birthday money) and we scored 4 again against Brentford.  I then got a really bad bout of chicken pox and didn’t go again bad until the last game of the season and now having a Saturday morning job to fund ‘the habit’’.  We won again against Millwall - in none of the games had I realised we were in relegation season - the innocence of youth!  Then went whenever I could afford/travel afterwards (5 years of college/uni then working away)  - always stood on the Bycars then moved to the Paddock when they closed the Bycars prior to it being demolished to eventually put in the seats. I haven’t been back since but will be in their Sunday - taking my son having rehearsed ‘will you bury me under’ and ‘ bless ‘em all’

UTV

6 hours ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

Me too, the same season (88/89 promotion season?) they went bust and we lost the points we’d gained off them. I was in the Paddock for that game and you could literally not see the Lorne Street when they went off.  

My first 3 games I remember well. For my first ever game I went as a teenager as a birthday ‘treat’  with my mates from Chell High School not having really followed any team though was a football fan.   We stood on the Bycars it was Feb 1984 we beat Newport County 4-2.  I was hooked and went to the next game (spending my birthday money) and we scored 4 again against Brentford.  I then got a really bad bout of chicken pox and didn’t go again bad until the last game of the season and now having a Saturday morning job to fund ‘the habit’’.  We won again against Millwall - in none of the games had I realised we were in relegation season - the innocence of youth!  Then went whenever I could afford/travel afterwards (5 years of college/uni then working away)  - always stood on the Bycars then moved to the Paddock when they closed the Bycars prior to it being demolished to eventually put in the seats. I haven’t been back since but will be in their Sunday - taking my son having rehearsed ‘will you bury me under’ and ‘ bless ‘em all’

UTV

Not sure what year but I know I'd only just started going so would have mid to late 80s. I was in the Railway Stand as it was the only seated area in the ground at the time. The seats were wooden. Could barely see the touchline closest to the Railway never mind the Lorne St 🤣

I think the rule at the time was that the ref had to be able to see both goals from the halfway line. So, in the Hamil or Bycars, we were clueless about what was happening on the other half of the pitch. Driving was also a nightmare in those foggy days.

Some great memories from the Bycars over the years. Too many to list to be honest!

Honourable shout out to Tom offering the ref his glasses every week, and yellow hard hat man back in the 90's.

My first game in 89 was in the Paddock and then when me and Dad started going properly in the back half of the 92-93 season we started in the Family stand, then the Paddock but moved to the Bycars and sat there for the next 4 seasons+. 

I worked in the club shop when it was separate to the ground on Hamil Road, started as a 16 year old and when I worked match days one of the perks was a match day ticket which was always the Bycars. Highlights included: Port Vale Arsenal, Port Vale v Stoke when Mills equalised in injury time from that Guppy cross, the Everton replay, The Manchester United Coca Cola Cup tie. 

I think the last time I was in that stand was the game we were promoted under Adams against Northampton which was 10 years ago last month. Blimey.

Archived