onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bycars Memories.....

ollyandpatch

5 hours ago, jjvale_03 said:

Lee Mills - last minute equaliser versus them lot in 1996.

Remember that so well. I was in the Paddock and as we were leaving a few minutes later I started a chant up of  " you'll never beat the vale" ( we had gone quite a few games unbeaten against them at the time). Oh, they did laugh!!!

Advert

One mystery never explained is why we only had a roof over half the Bycars. Many a time people would retreat from rain and snow to the cover of the back of the terrace.

I hope this move pays off but I fear it may have the opposite of the desired effect. Unlike Accrington, Exeter, Bristol Rovers and a few more we don't have a noisy home end where the singing and chanting goes on regardless of the opposition. Our best atmospheres come with the away fans giving it some back, and l don't see it happening with the Bycars. 

Maybe this move has been sold on an "improved atmosphere" ticket but is really to enable more segregation and the provision of a bigger fan zone. 

One mystery never explained is why we only had a roof over half the Bycars. Many a time people would retreat from rain and snow to the cover of the back of the terrace.
I hope this move pays off but I fear it may have the opposite of the desired effect. Unlike Accrington, Exeter, Bristol Rovers and a few more we don't have a noisy home end where the singing and chanting goes on regardless of the opposition. Our best atmospheres come with the away fans giving it some back, and l don't see it happening with the Bycars. 
Maybe this move has been sold on an "improved atmosphere" ticket but is really to enable more segregation and the provision of a bigger fan zone. 
It was the stand from the Old Rec, the Swan Passage side, that was the depth of the stand.

My memories of it are mixed. But from from going to games using it for a decade or so I think my sympathies are with those who are strongly attached to it and nor welcoming moving. Although the facilities are poor, the actual stand is better than the Hamil Road in my opinion. 

I have great memories of standing in a packed Bycars in the early 70s.However one bad memory is of a youth sneaking through the crowd with a half house brick in his hand and lobbing it into the away supporters in the Railway Paddock.Almost in slow motion it went over and hit an old man on the head,he went down like a sack of spuds.Our "fan" disappeared into the crowd.Could be dangerous to be a football fan in the 70s.

36 minutes ago, ramsgate valiant said:

I have great memories of standing in a packed Bycars in the early 70s.However one bad memory is of a youth sneaking through the crowd with a half house brick in his hand and lobbing it into the away supporters in the Railway Paddock.Almost in slow motion it went over and hit an old man on the head,he went down like a sack of spuds.Our "fan" disappeared into the crowd.Could be dangerous to be a football fan in the 70s.

And 2020s having needed an ambulance to take an injured Swindon fan to hospital before kick off in front of where the away team bus parks in the Lorne Street car park. Away fans were in the Bycars for said match. Didn't seem to improve their security!

And 2020s having needed an ambulance to take an injured Swindon fan to hospital before kick off in front of where the away team bus parks in the Lorne Street car park. Away fans were in the Bycars for said match. Didn't seem to improve their security!
It worked very well according to all concerned.

2 minutes ago, Valiant in Brum said:
6 minutes ago, Warren said:

It worked very well according to all concerned.

Except for the pitch invasion by Vale fans and subsequent arrests. 

47 minutes ago, ramsgate valiant said:

I'd of thought a brick on the bonce could be dangerous to any age ! 

Started in the Hamil with my dad(no idea why). Never really realized it was for away fans.Then Blackburn brought 1000s....

Moved to Lorne Street Hamil. Dad stopped going through ill health so I got Mum to go and get first game was Wimbledon when Newton scored a pen past Beasant and we won 1-0.Her faves were Ally Brown,Alan Webb,Ray Walker and Jeff Smith.

We saw the Spurs game,the Preston and Bristol play offs and couldn't believe it when we played the likes of Newcastle,West Ham and West Brom in the league!

We moved to Bycars when the Taylor report came in and spent a season in the Posh Seats and sponsored Gareth Ainsworth.

We then moved to Lorne Street Bycars and my son started going when U9s were free. My son and I used to walk Mum to the Lorne Street and we went in the Bycars. Stopped going when Ribeiro took us down and Mum stopped going in 2018.

My son and I went a lot of home games last season in the Bycars and had an ST this season. Really torn whether to go in the Hamil next year as we've not really enjoyed this season...

Lasting memory of the Bycars? Bogies 10 second goal v the Potters and the QPR 4-4 when all the goals were at the other end...agony!

20 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

The song, "We all live at the back of Bycars end, the back of Bycars end, the back of Bycars end, we all live......" to the tune of Yellow Submarine. Wonderful memories.

Did we nick that from Stoke or the other way around as the Stokeys used to sing we all live at the back of Boothen End when they were at the old Victoria ground.

Archived