onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The midfield issue - How do we address it?

philmpv

We can't bring anybody in until January. Our creative prowess has been next to zero. Conlon doesn't look like stepping up to L1 level, as he's been nowhere near the required standard. Clearly, we need to patch it in some way until January. So, how?

I'd be tempted, if DC is welded to 3 at the back (which makes us relatively solid defensively and I have little issue with the defence), to try 3412 with Walker deep with a spoiler (Ojo/Pett) next to him, Wilson playing a lot deeper in the 10 role, and Harrison and Mipo up top. We need, in my opinion, to get Wilson on the ball as much as possible, as he's by far our most technical player with a great range of passing, plus he can actually run with the ball. If we really want creativity, maybe Politic alongside Wilson with Harrison up top on his own?

Just think it'll take a small tweak to get us more fluid going forward.

Sent from my CPH2145 using onevalefan mobile app

Advert

With the personnel we have we have simple choices to make. As I see it the central midfield options are Garrity, McDermott, Politic or Butterworth as attacking midfielders either as 8’s or 10’s, Conlon, Charsley and Pett as central midfielders and Ojo, Walker as holders. Yes some of those players can fill in but I believe those quoted are their natural positions. Personally I think the season has gone as expected, we are competitive against the lower half teams but a little short against the top half. 
Can’t help but feel Jake Taylor would be a good option to have.

For me our system needs to change so we are not reliant on central midfield to be creative to get our WB's up the pitch.Our midfield just needs to press and keep the passing simple. I would change to play with our wingers and rely on them to be creative. It also stops the need to have an overlapping CB.

We could go 343,451 with or 433 to do so all of which should keep us sold enough.

I will add a caveat in a game like yesterday's opposition 352 is still the way forward and a midfield of Conlon, Ojo and Walker is decent at this level is we can get them all fit.

After Derby next week I would start to play and keep a settle side.

Stephens

Smith Forrester Jones

Woz Conlon Walker Benning

Wils.  Harrison.  Politic

6 minutes ago, Emile said:

I don't think cm is the problem.

I don't think we are playing to Wilson's strengths. Massey isn't creating enough and Mal is on a poor run of form. I think we are missing a hold up player alongside either Wilson or Harrison.

I think thats fair to say we are missing a hold up type, although I would say its more a striker with height. Although Harrison battles superbly and does that to a degree we certainly lack height.

The way a lot of teams play with 3 CB's I don't think the hold up player is as a crucial because space is always down the sides in transition. Its more important to have runners who can then hold the ball up in space. Harrison and Wils do this well but I do think we need more physical option at times.

Not really sure CM is an issue.

Against the Sheff Weds of this league, we need to be solid in the middle, Walker/Conlon/Pett/Garrity any combination of them. Not flashy but will do more to limit players like Bannan and Vaulks. We wont create as much but it saves us losing 3-0.

When playing the rest of the league, drop out one of those for a Butterworth or Politic. We will have more space in the middle against poorer teams, and this was shown against Shrews where Butterworth shone.

The issue in my eyes is in the Wing backs. Especially in games like yesterday, I thought we were pretty bank average on the flanks. LWB Dc doesn't really seem to fancy any of the options we have (Benning been in and out due to form, McCarron and Small no where near first team as yet) at RWB, we have two players who don't seem too play well starting games. Both Woz and Massey seem better from the bench. Not really sure what the answer is now given we've got to wait to Jan. 

Love to read all the opinions from people. 

I'm in the Conlon shouldn't be anywhere near the team camp. He's nowhere near his L2 standard never mind L1. Didn't anticipate he'd even be in contention yet after his bad injury. His booking yesterday was after taking way too long on the ball and being dispossessed. He's a liability at the moment. 

Have I a viable option as a midfield creative replacement,  no. So that shows the task we have at the moment. 

A change of formation of course is an option but the wing back system is as nailed on certainty every game. We never deviate bar the very very odd occasion. 

With the personnel we have we have simple choices to make. As I see it the central midfield options are Garrity, McDermott, Politic or Butterworth as attacking midfielders either as 8’s or 10’s, Conlon, Charsley and Pett as central midfielders and Ojo, Walker as holders. Yes some of those players can fill in but I believe those quoted are their natural positions. Personally I think the season has gone as expected, we are competitive against the lower half teams but a little short against the top half. 
Can’t help but feel Jake Taylor would be a good option to have.
Taylor seems to get hooked in most games.

It’s not necessarily all the midfields fault. Last season I think we were playing at our peak when we had Worrall and Gibbo on form as wing backs, with conlon, Wilson and proctor linking play for us to get behind and we also had Garrity breaking the lines to get into the box. To me that’s Clarkes way of playing. But we haven’t replaced those players roles in a similar system and so aren’t playing in that way at all this season. As a result we aren’t really creating much, in fact I’d say we have no pattern of play right now, no identity. 

I agree midfield is a big problem, but the blend across the whole team needs to be right. Swindon in PO2 and Mansfield are classic examples of where everything just came together. 

I feel, and this is not scapegoating it’s just a fact, that we need to try a back three without Smith, maybe at home, as it would give us better options on the ball. I’d have Jones, Hall and Forrester. Been underwhelmed by Massey so far, so Worrall at RWB and stick with Mal at LWB for the moment. 

In midfield I’d go Walker and maybe McDermott as Conlon and Garrity are miles off it at the moment. I’d liked to have seen more of Charsley, but him and Ojo are seemingly out for a while. 

That leaves a front 3 and I’d be inclined to have Politic and Wilson playing behind Ellis. 

Archived