onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The midfield issue - How do we address it?

philmpv

We'd better not waste the talent of Robinson and McDermott by discriminating against them because they're young. They'd be in the first 11 if they were 25 and playing at the same level. McDermott is the man behind the strikers. Most talented player we've had in our youth ranks since Painter. He's ahead of Billy at the same stage of his career in my opinion. He doesn't deserve to be limited to playing in the tinpot trophy after his performances in preseason and when called upon when we had no fit strikers.

He's already got 10 times the potential to play at a higher level than this than any of our other central midfielders. 

Advert

This would be my side. I'd love to see us mix it up & play players in their actual natural positions. I think this would give us a great balance both defensively & offensively.

4-3-2-1...

Stevens in nets.

Robinson bombing on from full back & forming a relationship with Wozza or Gav. Underlapping overlapping, extra body in midfield when required.

Smith just play a round peg in a round hole. He's in there to win headers & rat. Just let him do that job.

Forrester as the ball playing CB. Can bring the ball out & pick a pass.

Hall or Jones bombing on at left back & both have proven they are decent when given time on the ball, something that happens naturally in a back 4 at full back.

Massey/Wozza form a connection with Robinson & we could be very strong on the right both offensively & defensively with Smith covering that side.

Walker/ Ojo sat in the middle, showing for the ball & breaking up play. Spraying balls out to the wings or playing the little ball into Wils or Politic on the turn.

Garrity/Conlon buzzing around trying to get their foot on the ball. Can sit or attack when needed. Garrity great in the air, Conlon on form with his set plays & link up play.

Wils in behind the striker & coming out wide sometimes to support Gav/Wozza. Let him run at people & cut in on his left.

Dennis in behind alongside Wils. Technically our two best players by a distance. Let them cause havoc. You saw what he did at Shrews. Devastating. Let him drift out left wing when he wants to.

Harrison up top chasing, holding, running in the lines, winning headers.

Stevens

Robinson

Smith

Forrester

Hall/Jones

Massey/Wozza 

Walker/Ojo

Garrity/Conlon 

Wilson 

Politic   

Harrison  

This would be my side. I'd love to see us mix it up & play players in their actual natural positions. I think this would give us a great balance both defensively & offensively.
4-3-2-1...
Stevens in nets.
Robinson bombing on from full back & forming a relationship with Wozza or Gav. Underlapping overlapping, extra body in midfield when required.
Smith just play a round peg in a round hole. He's in there to win headers & rat. Just let him do that job.
Forrester as the ball playing CB. Can bring the ball out & pick a pass.
Hall or Jones bombing on at left back & both have proven they are decent when given time on the ball, something that happens naturally in a back 4 at full back.
Massey/Wozza form a connection with Robinson & we could be very strong on the right both offensively & defensively with Smith covering that side.
Walker/ Ojo sat in the middle, showing for the ball & breaking up play. Spraying balls out to the wings or playing the little ball into Wils or Politic on the turn.
Garrity/Conlon buzzing around trying to get their foot on the ball. Can sit or attack when needed. Garrity great in the air, Conlon on form with his set plays & link up play.
Wils in behind the striker & coming out wide sometimes to support Gav/Wozza. Let him run at people & cut in on his left.
Dennis in behind alongside Wils. Technically our two best players by a distance. Let them cause havoc. You saw what he did at Shrews. Devastating. Let him drift out left wing when he wants to.
Harrison up top chasing, holding, running in the lines, winning headers.
Stevens
Robinson
Smith
Forrester
Hall/Jones
Massey/Wozza 
Walker/Ojo
Garrity/Conlon 
Wilson 
Politic   
Harrison  
I really like that especially with Smith and Forrester playing the traditional two centre back role in a back four

On 03/10/2022 at 19:04, wurzel valiant said:

Is Tom Conlon out of contract at the end of the season? 

Getting in practice for Only Connect which is on later. 

Brilliant… my ambition is to take part in that and university challenge… they ll both be filed away with my cricket pads in my garden shed though I suspect !!

Need a team that is very hard to break down, can live with 35% possession and win 1-0 with a counter attack or set piece. Ditch the dribblers and jugglers. Include the ones who are effective in a team playing direct counter attack football with more than just Harrison able to hold the ball up front. 

This was an issue last season as well, once Conlon was injured there was little creativity. (Why I was disappointed to see Taylor leave with no replacement lined up). I think DC thought his midfielders would adapt better to this level but as a whole they haven’t. Conlon and Garrity have been miles off it, Pett hit and miss and Charsley clearly not fancied. Probably should have signed this kind of player instead of wasting time / wage / squad place on Holden 

Archived