onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Wycombe Wanderers v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

33 minutes ago, Doha said:

I think it's a poor decision in the context of rugby, golf and cricket still going ahead. I don't think someone as pragmatic and perceptive as her would have been impressed at this decision putting hundreds of thousands of specific people out of pocket and inconvenienced while many other events go ahead unhindered.

I think Crouchy has it right.

Clearly the other sports didn’t want to make a small sacrifice, because that’s all it is, a small sacrifice.  That’s their choice.

I wouldn’t say hundreds of thousands of people are going to be put out, only a percentage of those people.  I’m being “put out” but it’s not a drama.  There is a chance I may not be able to attend the rearranged fixture, but certainly not going to moan about that, I’ll deal with it if and when.

Crouchy is probably right but football will probably do this anyway in the coming weeks.

In my view we’re being asked to make a small sacrifice, as I said, and even if you’re a staunch republican it isn’t really a big deal for the vast majority, notwithstanding the fact that I appreciate some people will end up out of pocket.

55 minutes ago, Doha said:

I think it's a poor decision in the context of rugby, golf and cricket still going ahead. I don't think someone as pragmatic and perceptive as her would have been impressed at this decision putting hundreds of thousands of specific people out of pocket and inconvenienced while many other events go ahead unhindered.

I think Crouchy has it right.

What Crouchy doesn’t realise is that this is a period of mourning not in any way a send off. That’s next week, which you can guarantee will happen when all the games will resume. 

1 minute ago, bycars rob said:

Not really ever been a strong republican but this over the top reaction to a 96 year old dying  has convinced me that they must go. 

To be blunt had been expecting worse. I had heard somewhere that originally the plans were no TV at all and 2 weeks of a black screen and mournful music. 

2 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I wouldn’t say hundreds of thousands of people are going to be put out, only a percentage of those people.  I’m being “put out” but it’s not a drama.

On average 835,000 people attend Premier league down to Vanarama fixtures on a Saturday. Trains are booked, days off work are booked, coaches are booked, and a not insignificant amount of accomodation will be booked.

1 hour ago, Topher said:

I have met our old Queen twice, she probably would want things to go ahead. (Reason for me meeting her).Football fans are not plebs, it is something that happens. 

I do feel for anyone that has paid, good money to go to Wycombe, but these things happen.

I  remember meeting Ray Walker in Maxims, great player not a good drinker or dancer.

aye but this isn't. and the posh rugby <ovf censored> don't seem to think so either. it's just us fealtish plebs (who the queen would've recoiled at if she ever had to meet any of us) who have to sit at home pretending to be sad about the death of some unknowable symbol of this country's social immobility.

45 minutes ago, NorthwoodValiant said:

Perhaps the police don't want to police the games, much less need at other sporting events

Happy to have a camera zapping people going 55 on the A50 at dinner time today though. Not too sad to take advantage of those crippled with emotion who might momentarily not notice that they're going slightly over the speed limit, but find any excuse to have the weekend off.

2 hours ago, Topher said:

aye but this isn't. and the posh rugby <ovf censored> don't seem to think so either. it's just us fealtish plebs (who the queen would've recoiled at if she ever had to meet any of us) who have to sit at home pretending to be sad about the death of some unknowable symbol of this country's social immobility.

Dunning-Kruger springs to mind...

2 hours ago, philmpv said:
2 hours ago, Powerline said:
Just doesn’t sit right with me that we all have to change our lives for a week because of it. I’ll pay my respects and am sad the queen died, but life goes on. I’d happily take part in a minute’s silence etc., but why should I lose out on doing what I want on my day off after a tough week at work because a woman I never met has died. Ludicrous.

You've never met Santa Claus nor Jesus, but I'll wager you happily take the public holidays offered over Easter and Christmas for people to celebrate

Its not a public holiday though is it, so that’s a false equivalency. Plus I usually work Easter and over Christmas anyway mate.

2 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

This reads to me like a very selfish point of view, which I’m sure wasn’t intended.

Rest assured that the change to your life will be minimal if you intended travelling to Wycombe, and practically zero if you did not.

You can still do what you want on your day off after your tough week at work, just not watch Vale play Wycombe.

In the grand scheme of things to ask fans not to attend football matches this weekend might not be palatable but is no great shakes in reality.

It’s the principle of it all. I don’t particularly care if it comes across as selfish. It’s complete nonsense. How does cancelling football pay respects to the queen at all. They don’t care about the lives of ordinary people.

When someone passes away everyone should be able to make their own decision of how they would like to mourn and show their respect. Organisations such as the efl shouldn't decide how their members mourn and show their respect but should support their members decisions in how they would like to show their respect.

Black armbands, minute's silence, portrait of the Queen on the screens.

Or...

Nothing, all cancelled and everybody sits at home watching something on their TVs, Netflix and iPads 

Dunno why the second option is seen as more respectful 

Archived