onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Jake Daniels

Walka003

Advert

It's great for football and hopefully it encourages other footballers to feel free to be themselves.

I must say though it shows how far football has to go that it's so newsworthy. I mean imagine coming out and it being a segment on the 10 'o' clock news. It happened to Jake. On the one hand the media attention i've seen has been very supportive, but on the other hand it's another added pressure for coming out as a footballer. Hopefully Jake's bravery makes it an easier path for other footballers to follow.

It's always a little confusing when people 'come out' as though its a big deal when effectively saying its no big deal.

Why anyone gives a damn about someone else's sexuality, unless they are looking for dome sort of relationship, is beyond me.

In fact if you went around asking people their sexual preferences you would probably be arrested for some hate crime or other. So why do the news outlets insist on informing everyone who will listen that a footballer or news presenter or politician is gay...... I suspect no one really gives a rat's ass, I know I don't.

The only consideration should be can the lad play football as well as he thinks he can.

It's a brave but necessary move and I applaud the lad. A lots said about vale losing fans over the years. I was one of them. As a gay man I felt uncomfortable with the abuse dished out from the terraces at players and officials and others and there was no way of calling it out without putting myself at great personal danger. I decided to stop attending VP and follow from a distance. Over the years there was improvements and with "call it out and kick it out" etc plus our new inclusive owners I decided to take a chance and return with a half season ticket at Christmas and I intend to stay. What's relevant in what I've said and also in his statement yesterday is that he said "after I told my family and they backed me, I went and scored 4 goals". When allowed to be authentic and comfortable a gay person is every bit as capable (and incapable!) As a straight person. I hope he is the first of many and also I hope that vale get an LGBT supporters group to stand alongside many others.

1 hour ago, chickensteve said:

It's a brave but necessary move and I applaud the lad. A lots said about vale losing fans over the years. I was one of them. As a gay man I felt uncomfortable with the abuse dished out from the terraces at players and officials and others and there was no way of calling it out without putting myself at great personal danger. I decided to stop attending VP and follow from a distance. Over the years there was improvements and with "call it out and kick it out" etc plus our new inclusive owners I decided to take a chance and return with a half season ticket at Christmas and I intend to stay. What's relevant in what I've said and also in his statement yesterday is that he said "after I told my family and they backed me, I went and scored 4 goals". When allowed to be authentic and comfortable a gay person is every bit as capable (and incapable!) As a straight person. I hope he is the first of many and also I hope that vale get an LGBT supporters group to stand alongside many others.

Glad you now feel comfortable to come back as you and every fan should feel comfortable in their club

1 hour ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

You care so little that you decide to post on a forum about it.

He's a brave lad and should be applauded. I really hope that this can be the start of a new era.

Why should I care he is gay?

Why should anyone care?

What makes people who dont know him want to know?

When Schofield came out did Gordon know? Did Gordon care? If he didn't why should anyone else?

2 hours ago, geosname said:

Why should I care he is gay?

Why should anyone care?

What makes people who dont know him want to know?

When Schofield came out did Gordon know? Did Gordon care? If he didn't why should anyone else?

Would hope you'd see chickensteve's post and maybe get the importance of LGBT visibility in the disproportionately straight world of men's football. We get male footballers' heterosexuality shoved in our faces constantly and I don't see you commenting about that. Absolutely insane that you're an admin on this site ffs

7 hours ago, geosname said:

It's always a little confusing when people 'come out' as though its a big deal when effectively saying its no big deal.

Why anyone gives a damn about someone else's sexuality, unless they are looking for dome sort of relationship, is beyond me.

In fact if you went around asking people their sexual preferences you would probably be arrested for some hate crime or other. So why do the news outlets insist on informing everyone who will listen that a footballer or news presenter or politician is gay...... I suspect no one really gives a rat's ass, I know I don't.

The only consideration should be can the lad play football as well as he thinks he can.

In an ideal world, nobody would ‘give a rats ass’. However, we are not in an ideal world, and Jake has shown a lot of courage. It would be nice if we all acknowledged that, and wish him well.

Archived