onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Jake Daniels

Walka003

7 hours ago, geosname said:

It's always a little confusing when people 'come out' as though its a big deal when effectively saying its no big deal.

Why anyone gives a damn about someone else's sexuality, unless they are looking for dome sort of relationship, is beyond me.

In fact if you went around asking people their sexual preferences you would probably be arrested for some hate crime or other. So why do the news outlets insist on informing everyone who will listen that a footballer or news presenter or politician is gay...... I suspect no one really gives a rat's ass, I know I don't.

The only consideration should be can the lad play football as well as he thinks he can.

Why do people give a damn about what colour skin a person has or what gender they are. Sadly idiots do 

Football fans ( not all , but a lot ) have been stuck in the past times for years. In an ideal world no one would back an eye lid but the sad reality is , people get mocked , taunted and attacked for being who they are. A women can't go to a game without being wolf whistled or groped by a creepo, anyone who isn't white has had some sort of racial abuse thrown at them. A gay man/women would have been called a homophobic slur for no reason whatsoever.

This is a big deal because it's incourages more people to be who they are and not to feel like they cant be themselves because of some bigots. I can't imagine how that can affect someone mental state where they are ashamed to be themselves. Its not healthy and its time to get with the modern world. 

Homophobia is still rife in the UK especially football. 

Advert

2 hours ago, Topher said:

Would hope you'd see chickensteve's post and maybe get the importance of LGBT visibility in the disproportionately straight world of men's football. We get male footballers' heterosexuality shoved in our faces constantly and I don't see you commenting about that. Absolutely insane that you're an admin on this site ffs

What you get shoved in your face is your business, nothing to do with me.

The lads sexuality has nowt to do with owt as far as i'm concerned.

Unless he plays for the vale I don't care if he plays football or not.

3 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Why do people give a damn about what colour skin a person has or what gender they are. Sadly idiots do 

Football fans ( not all , but a lot ) have been stuck in the past times for years. In an ideal world no one would back an eye lid but the sad reality is , people get mocked , taunted and attacked for being who they are. A women can't go to a game without being wolf whistled or groped by a creepo, anyone who isn't white has had some sort of racial abuse thrown at them. A gay man/women would have been called a homophobic slur for no reason whatsoever.

This is a big deal because it's incourages more people to be who they are and not to feel like they cant be themselves because of some bigots. I can't imagine how that can affect someone mental state where they are ashamed to be themselves. Its not healthy and its time to get with the modern world. 

Homophobia is still rife in the UK especially football. 

I don't give a damn about skin colour, sexuality, gender or a lot of other things.

I have enough problems being me, I don't need to be force fed other people's perceptions.

Well put. Yes in this day and age it should not be news however in football there are many who are not able to express who they truly are. They have to hide their real self away. Therefore in my opinion it is big news to be celebrated and many do give a damn. 

36 minutes ago, geosname said:

I don't give a damn about skin colour, sexuality, gender or a lot of other things.

I have enough problems being me, I don't need to be force fed other people's perceptions.

29 minutes ago, geosname said:

There is no cure for stupid....... just don't mix with the idiots

You might not give a damn but many others do as this is a massive deal. No one is  forcing anything on you , everyone is commending the young for being brave. 

The only way people can learn is education. So with Jake Daniel coming out hopefully this will normalise it in some manner and then people coming out won't be a such a big deal

Or even saves someone's life who's on the edge. 

It's progress and a positive step. 

It's a brave but necessary move and I applaud the lad. A lots said about vale losing fans over the years. I was one of them. As a gay man I felt uncomfortable with the abuse dished out from the terraces at players and officials and others and there was no way of calling it out without putting myself at great personal danger. I decided to stop attending VP and follow from a distance. Over the years there was improvements and with "call it out and kick it out" etc plus our new inclusive owners I decided to take a chance and return with a half season ticket at Christmas and I intend to stay. What's relevant in what I've said and also in his statement yesterday is that he said "after I told my family and they backed me, I went and scored 4 goals". When allowed to be authentic and comfortable a gay person is every bit as capable (and incapable!) As a straight person. I hope he is the first of many and also I hope that vale get an LGBT supporters group to stand alongside many others.

Glad you feel comfortable to come back mate, football is for everyone.

I think an LGBTQ group would be a fantastic idea, a number of clubs have similar groups. Carol would be well up for it I reckon!

12 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I agree and welcome back: an LGBTQ officer would be a great idea and as a previous equalities for my profession, I would happily support your idea: any form of homophobia is rank

Glad you feel comfortable to come back mate, football is for everyone.

I think an LGBTQ group would be a fantastic idea, a number of clubs have similar groups. Carol would be well up for it I reckon!

I've spoken to carol on a couple of occasions. I will have a quiet word with her in the close season. Thanks for the positive responses I've received following my earlier post. Jake himself said about living a lie and for me feeling I couldn't or shouldn't attend VP after witnessing homophobia towards players and others in the past made me feel that couldn't be true to myself, vale are my team as well as yours. It's been a long exile but it was seeing other clubs LGBT supporters groups, seeing the various campaigns and rainbow laces etc meant I could see inclusivity at other clubs, it was waiting for carol to wave her wand at vp and thinking she wouldn't have her full family involved in the club. I ventured with trepidation into the club shop in December and spoke at long length with carol, Kevin, carol's daughter and I knew her son was involved. I didn't speak to her about being LGBT, I felt it should be irrelevant. I sat down for my first game back in well over 20 years (Brentford cup game) hopeing for the best but prepared for the worst. I've been pleased that despite sitting around a number of people who give the officials and opposition a ton of stick I've not heard a murmour of homophobia. That matters to me. It matters because it shouldn't matter if that makes any sense. I want to be renewing my season ticket whilst the early bird scheme is on and hope I can do it but sadly ill health has reduced my income and with the same bills and expenses as everyone else I am walking a financial tightrope but I intend to stay now.

23 hours ago, geosname said:

It's always a little confusing when people 'come out' as though its a big deal when effectively saying its no big deal.

Why anyone gives a damn about someone else's sexuality, unless they are looking for dome sort of relationship, is beyond me.

In fact if you went around asking people their sexual preferences you would probably be arrested for some hate crime or other. So why do the news outlets insist on informing everyone who will listen that a footballer or news presenter or politician is gay...... I suspect no one really gives a rat's ass, I know I don't.

The only consideration should be can the lad play football as well as he thinks he can.

It’s easy to brush it off as no big deal when you’ve never been affected by homophobia. Especially if one lacks empathy.  Your comments on this thread are no surprise to me. 

11 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I think it's pretty refreshing to see the near unanimous praise and support offered to Jake on here. There's the usual couple of <ovf censored> posts but, for a club that has had it's problems with moronic fans, it's great to see everyone cheering on the lad.

Sensible timing too--by the start of next season, it will most likely (and hopefully) not be an issue and there may even be some other braver players who follow this lad's lead.  It really shouldn't be an issue at all!

9 hours ago, chickensteve said:

I've spoken to carol on a couple of occasions. I will have a quiet word with her in the close season. Thanks for the positive responses I've received following my earlier post. Jake himself said about living a lie and for me feeling I couldn't or shouldn't attend VP after witnessing homophobia towards players and others in the past made me feel that couldn't be true to myself, vale are my team as well as yours. It's been a long exile but it was seeing other clubs LGBT supporters groups, seeing the various campaigns and rainbow laces etc meant I could see inclusivity at other clubs, it was waiting for carol to wave her wand at vp and thinking she wouldn't have her full family involved in the club. I ventured with trepidation into the club shop in December and spoke at long length with carol, Kevin, carol's daughter and I knew her son was involved. I didn't speak to her about being LGBT, I felt it should be irrelevant. I sat down for my first game back in well over 20 years (Brentford cup game) hopeing for the best but prepared for the worst. I've been pleased that despite sitting around a number of people who give the officials and opposition a ton of stick I've not heard a murmour of homophobia. That matters to me. It matters because it shouldn't matter if that makes any sense. I want to be renewing my season ticket whilst the early bird scheme is on and hope I can do it but sadly ill health has reduced my income and with the same bills and expenses as everyone else I am walking a financial tightrope but I intend to stay now.

An excellent post and I'm glad you feel welcome at VP again.

Your experience shows the immense value of the symbolic efforts made by clubs to promote inclusivity. It's something I know one or two fans are keen on and I hope the club kicks on with it moving forward.

We would benefit massively from a more inclusive fanbase representative of all walks of like in Burslem and beyond.

17 hours ago, geosname said:

What you get shoved in your face is your business, nothing to do with me.

The lads sexuality has nowt to do with owt as far as i'm concerned.

Unless he plays for the vale I don't care if he plays football or not.

Whilst I get you're sort of trying, in a way, to be positive about this sort of thing, it's coming off all wrong. Why are you trying to make it about you? 

The bravery Daniels has shown in coming out is important for football as, for a long time, homophobia/discrimination has been a part of fanbases. A visible, gay footballer may encourage more LGBTQ fans to enjoy the game we all love and to join our fanbase. 

Archived