• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: POS1 Swindon Town v Port Vale

5 minutes ago, Powerline said:

Did you not watch the Bristol Rovers home game? He was <ovf censored> today too.

Yes I did and have watched every game this season.  And I did watch the Hartlepool game where Taylor's brilliant cross and piece of quality won us the game

If you can't see what Jake Taylor brings to the Vale team compared to a Charsley then I don't know what you watch and how you interprete it. Runners will only get you so far.

Always going to be a difficult game today but you need players who can play and show endeavor. 

Vale are still very much in this tie.

• Like 1

Advert:

We are still in the tie with us getting that goal back but it's going be really tough for us to win it from this position. It's no surprise we lost to Swindon, it's probably the worst team we could have got in the play offs and there probably glad they are playing us as they always beat us. Our record since around 2005 against them is dreadful so for us to overturn this we are going have to do what vale sides from the last 17 years have failed to do beat them and beat them convincely. 

A few things we need to improve on for next season are stop giving daft sloppy goals away like we have the majority of the season. Improve our pocession play as too many times we look to hoof it long to nobody and expect wilson proctor ect to chase. I also think we need to add pace to the side as apart from amoo who I'd imagine we will release we lack pace in our team. 

We are still in the tie but for me I can't see us beating Swindon by 2 clear goals to make it to the final. Hopefully they prove me wrong, but more likely we will miss out and go up in the top 3 next season as the play offs are a lottery. 

And the GOAL was a smith mistake. What is your point 
Smith gave a soft corner away - mistake 1
Gibbons lost McKirdy - mistake 2
No men on the line - mistake 3

A very frustrating goal to concede all round.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Smith on the ball scares me a hell of a lot more.

Why oh why oh why would he choose today, in these conditions at this time of the year, to try and put his foot on the ball and play out. Just smack it away.

• Like 1

Advert:

1 hour ago, Powerline said:

Can’t believe people are saying we should’ve kept McKirdy. He could’ve turned into Messi after releasing him, doesn’t change the fact that for us he was garbage and clearly couldn’t be arsed.

He should have been made to be arsed, then we'd now have a 22 goal scorer on our books, and not on Swindon's.

• Haha 1

Just now, Paul6754 said:

Yes I did and have watched every game this season.  And I did watch the Hartlepool game where Taylor's brilliant cross and piece of quality won us the game

If you can't see what Jake Taylor brings to the Vale team compared to a Charsley then I don't know what you watch and how you interprete it. Runners will only get you so far.

Always going to be a difficult game today but you need players who can play and show endeavor. 

Vale are still very much in this tie.

Yes we are still in the tie.
But we can’t carry Taylor just because of one pass. He was absolutely powderpuff today and against Rovers. Brought absolutely nothing to the game today whatsoever.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, valeparklife said:

Smith gave a soft corner away - mistake 1
Gibbons lost McKirdy - mistake 2
No men on the line - mistake 3

A very frustrating goal to concede all round.

No idea why we don’t have men on the posts we have every man back got be space for someone on the posts 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, saintvaliant said:

So if you haven’t got the passing quality to keep hold of the ball, play a system that doesn’t require you to have the ball so much.

Swindon will be kicking themselves because at 2-0 the tie was borderline down. We’ve got ourselves a chance again but need to show the cojones to grab that chance.

I agree, I hate the system, but it’s got us this far. So the best we can hope for is that we play in the same formation with more care of the ball. 

Advert:

And a word for Swindon’s away end. It’s a disgrace that clubs are allowed to put supporters in stands like that.

Former Premier League side with an open end, seats bolted on to a terrace and the facilities of a non-league side. Incredible that the ground regs for the professional game don’t require stands to all be covered and to an acceptable standard. Yet sides who come up with a 4G pitch are forced to rip them up and replace with grass. Go figure.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

You were watching a different game to the rest of us then. Apart from the last 10 mins we never had control of the game.

Yeh, why did it take 80 minutes before we really looked the part.

I am sure these players can do it that is the Frustrating thing.

Lets hope we get to grips with McKirdy for once, on Thursday and learn from the fact not to give their midfield so much space like we did first half and like we did in January at Vale Park. 
Let’s do it on TV for once, let’s play like we did in the 1989 Play Off Final Second Leg against Bristol Rovers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Powerline said:

Yes we are still in the tie.
But we can’t carry Taylor just because of one pass. He was absolutely powderpuff today and against Rovers. Brought absolutely nothing to the game today whatsoever.

Neither did Edmondson, HC, Gibbo, Martin ...

1 minute ago, saintvaliant said:

And a word for Swindon’s away end. It’s a disgrace that clubs are allowed to put supporters in stands like that.

Former Premier League side with an open end, seats bolted on to a terrace and the facilities of a non-league side. Incredible that the ground regs for the professional game don’t require stands to all be covered and to an acceptable standard. Yet sides who come up with a 4G pitch are forced to rip them up and replace with grass. Go figure.

Shouldn’t be a full price ticket for no protection from the elements.

Advert:

He should have been made to be arsed, then we'd now have a 22 goal scorer on our books, and not on Swindon's.
You should be a football manager with insights like that. Easy ain't it?!
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Their second came at an utterly crucial time for them, we were just starting to get back into it after what I presume was a rollocking at HT.

Lovely composed run and finish from Wilson to beat the trap and nestle it in the corner, and his header on another day would have made it 2-2 late on.

Have to hope Proctor can start Thursday.

And have to pray that Walker can make the squad.

Edited by Doha

Lost 4 of the last 5 after scraping one against Hartlepool. The squad and staff thought it was done on that day, if you were there to see the celebrations you know that’s true.

• Like 3