onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Advert

5 hours ago, Hoppers said:

Mate, I will agree with you that he could be seen to go missing in some games (alongside the rest of our midfield who got overrun in a fair few games), but do you provide the answer yourself? - if he is told to play that far forward, in effect becoming the 3rd striker, then he will have quieter games in just the same way as Wilson / Proctor / whoever have quiet games due to playing upfront.

If 600K is on the table, then yes I also agree that should Ben want to, then he should be allowed to leave, but I do think you are being a bit harsh on the lad.

Spot on.

A box to box player doesn’t  t need to be technical. He needs to run, win 2nd ball and arrive in the box. He excels at this and not to mention his finishing ability.

If we played a flat 442 then yes he’s not your man but in our system he’s a diamond. 

30 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

I will say one thing, if nothing else, Paul has stopped the great "how tall should a goalie be" debate - NICE 😍😍😍😍😍

You actually saw my reasoning on this only last week at Exeter. Blackman took every cross into the box with ease because of his extra height, whereas just before their first goal Stone came out and had to punch the ball away which kept the ball in play and Exeter won the ball back which resulted in the goal. Discussion overfrom me.

IF we were to sell Garrity to Peterborough today, a midfielder who scored double digits last year, for any amount we would need to replace both him and his goals, supposedly for less so as to make a profit.

Its taken us weeks to get players in and there are only days left in the transfer window and fewer players available anyway, let alone players who are better then Ben.

It's ludicrous in my view to be even contemplating letting go, certainly not to someone in our division either. This idea of removing his goals tally and noting that there's nothing special is left is just plain mad in my view. Apart from saying the same about Wilson or Proctor, goalscoring midfielders are hard to find enough as it is, or would we rather have someone whose overall contribution is much better (passing, tackling, running) than Ben's but goal output is zilch ?

Ben Garrity has earned the right (along with the rest who have remained) to start in League One in my opinion and given that we can utilise 5 substitutes now then all the more reason to keep him as a valued member of the squad.

I would want to keep Garrity, but one thing I’m very confident of is that Dc and Flickers have a number that needs to be reached before he goes that will be beneficial to the vale.

They bought him, they know the reasons why, they know what value he has and we won’t be short changed.

If he does go, I will rest easy knowing the Vale haven’t been screwed over.

KTF

UTV

I would want to keep Garrity, but one thing I’m very confident of is that Dc and Flickers have a number that needs to be reached before he goes that will be beneficial to the vale.
They bought him, they know the reasons why, they know what value he has and we won’t be short changed.
If he does go, I will rest easy knowing the Vale haven’t been screwed over.
KTF
UTV
Also worth remembering that Ben is out of contract at the end of the season so would move for free.

So unless he extends his contract, his value to us is highest now

57 minutes ago, rayzer said:

You actually saw my reasoning on this only last week at Exeter. Blackman took every cross into the box with ease because of his extra height, whereas just before their first goal Stone came out and had to punch the ball away which kept the ball in play and Exeter won the ball back which resulted in the goal. Discussion overfrom me.

He dealt with our crosses with ease because:

We hardly made any

The ones we did were poor.

6 foot 2 to 6 foot 4 is a 2.5% difference. Add on arm extension and any keeper over 6 foot should get every ball in the six yard box. Height is a marginal advantage. In rugby height is a massive advantage in the lineout; but George Kruiss was England's shortest and yet best lineout forward of the past 10 years because he was the best at catching the ball. Blackman may well be a better keeper than Stone but at the heights of both of them it isn't down to a couple of inches. 

1 hour ago, rayzer said:

It’s not that straight forward.  It isn’t just height, it’s ability.  Some keepers are just better in the air than others.  I think where the height/build of the keep is an advantage is that they tend to have more of a “presence” and physicality, perhaps making an attacking player think a bit more about the possible outcome when challenging for a 50/50.

8 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

I had that view from November last year after seeing him play from the beginning of the season and my opinion hasn't changed after watching every game last season and this.

Take away Garrity's goals and his all round game last season was barely Lge 2 standard IMO, he had 1 assist last year having started 42 games and played 3608 mins. In the stretch of "AC's games" when both Conlon and Taylor were out there was no creativity or pattern of play and only brilliance from Wilson and/or good fortune kept Vale picking up points, Garrity was anonymous unless he scored.

Vale were virtually playing 3-4-3 last season as Garrity played so far forward, most of his goals came from within the 6yd box, none from outside the 18 yd box from what I recall. When he didn't score in games he contributed little apart from vigor.

Because he played so far forward,  when Vale were attacking and the ball was turned over it left Vale very open to the counter, in Lge 2 most teams didn't have the players to exploit it but it may be different in Lge 1. This was illustrated by the last 3 goals conceded vs Brentford, hopefully very few Lge 1 teams will have players like Mbeuno who punished us on the counter.

Unless Garrity scores goals in Lge 1 I think he will struggle in midfield as his overalll game may not be technically good enough, only time will tell. Hence I was surprised when Taylor was allowed to leave as he can do everything Garrity does and is much better technically.  

However from Youtube videos etc Ben Garrity gets a 12/10 for enthusiasm, hard work, devotion to the cause and he comes over as a great guy. If 600k is on the table from Peterborough I would snap their hands off, if it was 100k I would tell them to go away as Garrity can make himself useful in a number of positions.  I would like nothing more than Ben Garrity to prove me wrong.

I'll get me tin hat.

First of all 12 goals, or whatever it was, is not to be sniffed at.  He certainly isn’t the most gifted technically but for my money is a player with an eye for goal.  Garrity, by his own admission, is no Tom Conlon, but we don’t want him to be, what we need is a blend of different qualities.

You make the comment about the formation but that’s more likely down to how he, and the rest of the team are being asked to play.

He’s a different type of player than Jake Taylor, who I’d say is more comparable to Conlon, which is probably why he left. Garrity is more of a battler and we don’t really have many of those in the squad.  He’s also a far better header of a ball than Taylor, and the majority of the other midfielders, which is an obvious benefit.

Hopefully he’ll continue his progress with us and, if sold, go on to command a decent fee.

I'm amazed that people are belittling Ben Garrity already? This is just the 4th game of the season and nobody is up to 100% yet. The absurd thing with this conversation is the "take away his goals and his contribution to the team is minimal" - but his goals WERE his contribution to the team! And he doesn't just fade out if he's not scoring - he's mostly a workaholic! Only 1 assist? - is that his header against the crossbar at Wembley that Willo scored from the rebound?

Plus, if Posh paid, say, £500k, we'd have to ise that to get someone else in...who might cost at least that much, and may not do as well as Garrity would? Got to give the lad a chance first!

Archived