onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

Fosse69

33 minutes ago, rob1983 said:
59 minutes ago, Joe B said:
I'm 25. Been going since I was 4-5. 21 seasons.
I've seen:
  • 1 promotion (only top 6 finish in 30 years)
  • A goal in a defeat against Spurs
  • A goal in a heavy defeat against Man City
  • A PaintPot Trophy Victory against Stoke U18s or whatever it was
And:
  • 2 relegations
  • 2 adminstrations
  • 2 protest movements
  • 3 dodgy owners (if Ryder is included)
  • 2 painful near misses (04/05 Swindon/Hartlepool fiasco + COVID 8th place)
  • Stoke in Europe, FA Cup Final, decade in the Prem
  • 3 relegation battles into non-league
  • Joint-lowest finish in club's history
  • Probable longest stay in the bottom tier since since 1946-54
  • Defeats to Chasetown + Kings Lynn
  • This bottle
For all those saying 'roll with the highs and lows' please tell me when the highs will begin? It's getting a bit tedious. I keep being told 'next year', and then something bad happens in the 'next year'. I've been 'getting behind the lads' for 20 years now from Carlisle to Torquay, when will it start to work it's magic?
I'm a cynical/pessimistic/miserable Vale fan because of all of the above, and today feels like a predictably natural continuation. 'Not being Oldham' isn't really a consolation when Bournemouth are in the Premier League, tbh.

Get u sen down stoke. Don't need Fans like you.

Sorry mate, Keep the Faith and Up the Vale!

Will that do?

Advert

There seemed a distinct lack of team spirit at times today, lots of waving arms and shouting at team mates. I understand the frustration if things weren't going well but it did not look good from where i was sitting. Must say I was impressed with Newport, lots of quality, pace and passion. I would be gutted if I was them, they looked nailed on for at least playoffs a few weeks ago. Perhaps this sums this crazy league up. I do wonder what other teams make of us. Our throw ins and set pieces aren't the best. To be honest we are over achieving despite the adversity of major injuries and loss of our manager for a large part of the season. Season's not over yet, let's hope we get that spirit back and sharpish

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

It's gone wrong in a way I couldn't even have imagined - the club managed to give me hope, the selfish -------!

Just conditioned to expecting the worse - think if I retained optimism days like today would be doubly crushing. I was fairly gutted at the final whistle having half-anticipated today.

It's weird - my girlfriend thinks I'm overly optimistic in life, but specifically with Vale I'm just waiting for the inevitable balls up which I've become accustomed to. Eventually Vale will prove me wrong.

Next weekend???

1 minute ago, gags 64 said:

There seemed a distinct lack of team spirit at times today, lots of waving arms and shouting at team mates. I understand the frustration if things weren't going well but it did not look good from where i was sitting. Must say I was impressed with Newport, lots of quality, pace and passion. I would be gutted if I was them, they looked nailed on for at least playoffs a few weeks ago. Perhaps this sums this crazy league up. I do wonder what other teams make of us. Our throw ins and set pieces aren't the best. To be honest we are over achieving despite the adversity of major injuries and loss of our manager for a large part of the season. Season's not over yet, let's hope we get that spirit back and sharpish

Agree about Newport. Their fans must have looked at that performance today and wondered where on earth it had come from. They’d lost four home games in  row and completely blown up against some truly average sides.  It ‘s not just Vale who do massive cock ups. 

Trying to calm down, and I'm coming to the sad conclusion that we have just run out of steam, the season was just 4 games too long, long term key players injured, too many carrying injuries and playing and DC's situation have stymied us and regrettably tactics and the use of subs. was not good enough.

Very very frustrated tonight, what is it with the Vale and getting a crowd in and then performing like that, how many times has this happened ? 

3 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Makes you wonder how the season would have gone if we kept hold of politic. Think we've lacked a genuine potential game changer since he left. Our team must be so easy to scout as it's so obvious the formation we are going to play and who will be playing.

I think the squad has a pretty solid core, but as others have said a bit of pace and stardust would take it further. Obviously on that note such a loss to be without conlon.

Agree with Politic being a game changer, but had a few average games when he was on from the start. At the moment, we have no game changer but up to three games ago, we didn't need one. 

3 hours ago, Mario said:

3 very poor performances on the bounce how come Taylor never got a chance?
Crosby needs to change it next week this team has had it's chances and they have come up well short

Taylor played against Bristol Rovers and was subbed after performing like a school boy. Not saying bin him, just that he can't be relied upon to be the player we hoped he'd be after a stop, start season. 

Taylor played against Bristol Rovers and was subbed after performing like a school boy. Not saying bin him, just that he can't be relied upon to be the player we hoped he'd be after a stop, start season. 

Taylor was played in the Pett position, not where he should really be as an attacking midfielder.

Really flat tonight, i thought with the rest we would see a reaction to the Walsall game and put Newport to the sword but first half we were even worse than we had been in the two previous games.

Not sure what’s happened, the signs had been there at Oldham and to a degree Hartlepool, we’ve been off it since that superb performance at Salford and no idea what’s changed.

Tiredness? Maybe everything that’s happened and the backlog of games has caught up with us.

Nerves? I don’t get why we would be so nervous? We have players like Pett, Hussey, Martin, Proctor, big experienced pros.

We missed Hall, probably don’t concede that first one if he’s there but Hussey was poor today. Where’s DJ gone again?

It’s so frustrating as once we equalised we had them on the ropes and looked like we could go on to win it then concede a second phase from a corner. That killed us.

The early goal killed the great atmosphere that had built pre kick off and it was just so gut wrenching.

Where do we go from here? Exeter is incredibly tough and can’t see Walsall or Harrogate doing us favours. We don’t need a win but a draw will do.

Can we turn it around at Exeter… yes but we need to be on it. May suit us them being more open attacking us for our attacking and hopefully Hall will be back.

I hope we do make the play offs but the lads need to stand up and be counted now.

55 minutes ago, portvaleofbelvoir said:

I was thinking at the time of the substitutions that we would have gone on to win the game as we were on top. It seemed to upset the balance of the team.

Correct as soon as AC took off charsley he handed the game to them .

Mind you they didn't get in our half till cock up by Stone and his defenders ending in a corner who's player was that winning goalscorers of Newport because heshouldnever playthe game again and why wasn't someone trying block it the shot that is .

Oh little Port Vale again .

It's ok though we play better when there's nobody there .

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

I find it amazing how fans can be berated for being disappointed and angry after today and the last 20 years of being a Vale fan.

It really doesn't matter if the players got us third a fortnight ago - it matters where they finish. We've been let down, again, by Port Vale footballers and it's understandable that fans are gutted tonight and angry at an undoubted bottling.

It's very sanguine and holier than thou to label justified criticism of poor performances of Port Vale players as 'assassinations', 'dirty guts', and 'hatred', but in reality there is thousands of fans tonight who, again, have been let down by their team, having spend hundreds/thousands and countless hours supporting them up and down the country, to be rewarded by completely spineless losses against two teams with nothing to play for, in front of sold-out crowds with a cost of living crisis ongoing.

In my view, the ire should be aimed at the well-remunerated and superbly supported footballers (who, rightly, have their backsides wiped for them by this brilliant club) who have left children going to bed tonight in tears, not at the Vale fans who've put up with decades of rubbish and have witnessed a rare chance of joy snatched away by footballers unable to get the basics right.

Maybe I am impatient for success; when you take your 90yo Grandfather, who missed the 1953 semi-final as he was on national service for his country, back from the game, crestfallen, and he comments that may be the last time he sees Vale live, your heart breaks a bit. He, and we, deserve far more than this complete collapse. I can't take the view that maybe it'll be next year, and can't content myself with a record long stay in the 4th tier. You want to enjoy moments with your loved ones. 

I'm sorry, mate, your post is well-intentioned, but I can't agree with lambasting fans tonight for criticising players for underperformance when a real opportunity for success was on a platter for the most deserving fans in the country. 

Well I don't Joe, and it's just my opinion.  Some of your posts (which I enjoy reading by the way) have been demanding success as if it were a God given right.  It isn't.  Children going to bed tonight in tears?  Tell them what matters in life and quickly - much as we love it, it's a game of football, and nobody died out there today.  We're all disappointed, but what you call lambasting fans is simply pointing out that they are fickle and very ready to run down players when things don't go their way.  Do you think those "well remunerated" players wanted that to happen?  Does "having their backsides wiped" include all the work they do in the community?  I think you might be mistaking them for Premiership poseurs.  They are 4th division footballers who have hit a bad patch in the season, just at the wrong time.  It's a shame for the older generation who may not see success unless it happens quickly, and I sense your frustration about your grandfather - that is indeed sad.  But he and we deserve more?  Why? On what basis, just rocking up every week? It doesn't work that way unfortunately - Vale fans are loyal but walking through the turnstile doesn't guarantee success. There are no vouchers we can cash in for attending lots of games that mean we get promoted - it's not a board game.

I understand what you mean about a "rare chance of joy" being snatched away - perhaps you are loading too much on a set of professional footballers? A little bit melodramatic putting you chances of joy in the hands of some professional sportsmen who may not get it right now and again?  "Perform for me or I'll sulk and blame you for ruining my life".  It's not a way to live.  We're all disappointed.  I've followed this club for 53 years, and I've seen the ups and downs.  And if there is a cost of living crisis on, then people make their own choices about whether to buy a ticket or not - you can't simply blame the club for adding to their cost of living crisis by playing fixtures - people make their own call.  You seem to be blaming the Vale for everything going wrong in your life.  There are a bunch of MPs in Westminster and a maniac in Russia I would blame first about a cost of living crisis - why are you blaming your club for making them unhappy in a cost of living crisis?  My guess is that the fans who went to the sold out (but there seemed to be a lot of empty seats) match knew what they were letting themselves in for.   

So don't be amazed at "people being lambasted" in the way you viewed my post. I simply hold the view that a lot of the comments on here were over the top and ridiculous.   In my view, and that's all it is, some of the comments on here over a game lost went way beyond. It always happens when we lose a game we feel we ought to have won, needed to win, or we wanted to win so much on behalf of our children and parents and grandparents. But putting the hours in and demanding success off the back of it just doesn't work I'm afraid.  My post was all about the knee jerk types who are very quick to wade into the players when things go wrong, like they never had a bad day at work themselves.  Fine if you think they are spineless, I am pretty fed up with the team's response today too, but in my view, a lot of todays's comments were unnecessary. I would love to think that saying "no excuses Vale" ahead of the game actually meant anything - it just doesn't. Calling them bottlers just vents our spleen and gets some of the frustration out.  But it's not what I call supporting my team, fed up though I am tonight. I also want to enjoy moments with my loved ones, but I've learned that expecting that to happen at a football match because "we deserve it" doesn't always work. 

So thanks for seeing that my post was well intentioned.  I think yours is too.  I think we just differ in how much stock we hold in an imperfect (ie normal) bunch of human beings who kick a ball about for a living.  Give it time to stop hurting, and ask yourself whether this will matter in six months time - and then see who looks holier than thou by placing such expectations on a football team.  It won't be me.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

This is why I was so wound up post-match.

If we were a successful club who does things that makes the fans happy, then fine, yeah, whatever, we move on, go again, ktf, be kind etc etc.

It's all so predictably 21st century Port Vale though - that's the kick in the teeth. We've managed to chuck away promotion on a platter, not through bad luck but through putrid performances.

Some fans seem resigned to this being us - you just simply have to accept that Port Vale provides minimal happiness and maximum disappointment. 

I see Brentford, Bournemouth, Luton, Accrington, Forest Green, and think 'why can't that be us?'.

Add to that list, the likes of Cheltenham, Cambridge, Morcambe Fleetwood and Burton. They all found there own"Process"   And some wonder why we express sheer disappointment at events such as the last three games 

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

Things went wrong immediately - think my first game was a 4-0 loss.

Was gutted for my Grandad more than anything today; doesn't get to come that often anymore and wish he could enjoy some success.

I’m sure you know but I chatted to your Grandad earlier in the season Joe. It was lovely to do so especially because he knew my Grandad and was a regular on the Berresford’s buses back in the old days (all sat on the same side of the bus as it drove past the depot).

I can’t offer much in the way of solace. I’ve had disappointments down the years that have felt like dagger blows. This however felt much slower, much deeper, much more crushing in the way it played out in slow motion.

At this precise moment in time I’ve got very little enthusiasm to see the players soil themselves again on live television a couple more times and I would not be disappointed if I didn’t have to set foot in Vale Park again until August. 

Archived