onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

Fosse69

FWIW after the last 2 performances I would have started gibbo just to give us a lift in terms of someone who can get the team and crowd going, even if he was only good for an hour. I don’t think we were ever going to get that with hussey and Benning down the left. Given the hall injury maybe we could have surprised them and gone 4 at the back even, we could have been more comfortable that way than trying to shoehorn hussey into the left centre half position. Frankly he had a poor game there. We got overrun in midfield too easily at times and offered very little in that first half. Second half when we upped the intensity it was much better, hindsight is great but I feel we missed a trick in not making positive changes from the start, by that I mean both wingbacks have been poor in this run and really only bringing in hussey didn’t change anything in terms of our performance level or intensity. So disappointing.

Advert

4 hours ago, osprey said:

You are assuming Smith actually manages to get it to Worrall- it’s a toss up whether he will 

Losing Cass was the worst that could have happened to us.

It put Smith in his position.

Smith or Hall as center back end of. The other as back up.

1 minute ago, PortVale4Life said:

Oldham?

Hartlepool?

Bristol?

Walsall?

He’s been anonymous for weeks

As somebody rightly said on Radio Joke, we pay a high price for Garrity’s goals. Especially when you saw the ease with which Newport, Bristol Rovers, Swindon, Rochdale (to name but a few examples) have sliced through our midfield. 

The new Louis Dodds?? You want him in the team, just don’t know where??

2 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

FWIW after the last 2 performances I would have started gibbo just to give us a lift in terms of someone who can get the team and crowd going, even if he was only good fan an hour. I don’t think we were ever going to get that with hussey and Benning down the left. Given the hall injury maybe we could have surprised them and gone 4 at the back even, we could have been more comfortable that way than trying to shoehorn hussey into the left centre half position. Frankly he had a poor game there. We got overrun in midfield too easily at times and offered very little in that first half. Second half when we upped the intensity it was much better, hindsight is great but I feel we missed a trick in not making positive changes from the start, by that I mean both wingbacks have been poor in this run and really only bringing in hussey didn’t change anything in terms of our performance level or intensity. So disappointing.

I thought Hussey did OK first half. He was up against some power down their right and won a fair share of headers. Going forward he is very left footed and so careful with the ball it all can go slow and become a cul-de-sac. But instead of shifting the ball quickly through midfield to the right we shifted it to midfield and backwards. Meanwhile we didn't get enough people in the box. I can't say about his second half because I am watching him from 70 yards away. 

I'm 25. Been going since I was 4-5. 21 seasons.

I've seen:

• 1 promotion (only top 6 finish in 30 years)
  • A goal in a defeat against Spurs
  • A goal in a heavy defeat against Man City
  • A PaintPot Trophy Victory against Stoke U18s or whatever it was

And:

• 2 relegations
  • 2 adminstrations
  • 2 protest movements
  • 3 dodgy owners (if Ryder is included)
  • 2 painful near misses (04/05 Swindon/Hartlepool fiasco + COVID 8th place)
  • Stoke in Europe, FA Cup Final, decade in the Prem
  • 3 relegation battles into non-league
  • Joint-lowest finish in club's history
  • Probable longest stay in the bottom tier since since 1946-54
  • Defeats to Chasetown + Kings Lynn
  • This bottle

For all those saying 'roll with the highs and lows' please tell me when the highs will begin? It's getting a bit tedious. I keep being told 'next year', and then something bad happens in the 'next year'. I've been 'getting behind the lads' for 20 years now from Carlisle to Torquay, when will it start to work it's magic?

I'm a cynical/pessimistic/miserable Vale fan because of all of the above, and today feels like a predictably natural continuation. 'Not being Oldham' isn't really a consolation when Bournemouth are in the Premier League, tbh.

I think we’re nailed on for 3rd. Gibbo played 5 great minutes and did that flying header, Stone caught a few crosses and Harratt has grown a fierce goatee while sitting on the bench. Rovers and Mansfield are so red hot that it’s likely they’ll come to a stiff, icy period right at crunch time and flop against teams playing for nothing. Northampton have got to go to the iron curtain of Barrow, who have let in less than 3 in multiple games now. Plus they’ll be roared on by a formidable crowd in the high hundreds. Meanwhile, Hussey really settled into the back 3 as the game went on - the last few crosses stayed on the pitch and given more balls into his feet he could have knocked some into the box eventually. Just keep the same team from the last 3, it’s bound to come good soon and we’re showing green shoots of confidence. Exeter must be knackered after celebrating all those goals and jogging back to the centre circle to kick off again every 2 seconds. That’s bound to take it’s toll and we’ll be right there to capitalise. Sell out crowd again, which we know stirs something within the players and gets the best out of them. The playoffs is absolutely guaranteed and top 3 should be sealed without too much fuss on Saturday.

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I've seen:

And:

• 2 relegations
  • 2 adminstrations
  • 2 protest movements
  • This bottle

For all those saying 'roll with the highs and lows' please tell me when the highs will begin? It's getting a bit tedious.

I'm a cynical/pessimistic/miserable Vale fan because of all of the above, and today feels like a predictably natural continuation. 'Not being Oldham' isn't really a consolation when Bournemouth are in the Premier League, tbh.

I’m 23 so basically the exact same. Sick of it.

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I've seen:

And:

• 2 relegations
  • 2 adminstrations
  • 2 protest movements
  • This bottle

For all those saying 'roll with the highs and lows' please tell me when the highs will begin? It's getting a bit tedious. I keep being told 'next year', and then something bad happens in the 'next year'. I've been 'getting behind the lads' for 20 years now from Carlisle to Torquay, when will it start to work it's magic?

FFS, bugger-off and support Stoke or one of the Manchester clubs.

6 minutes ago, Powerline said:

I’m 23 so basically the exact same. Sick of it.

Like I get the 'embrace the rollercoaster' line if you went in the 90s, drawing at Anfield, Goodison, Highbury, playing in the 2nd tier, playing against (let alone beating!) Stoke regularly, promotions, top-quality footballers, big crowds, big games. Today and the last few years feel like a dip after a massive high. 

For us, there has been a very brief peak in 2013, but even that was under a Chairman who 5 years later would laugh about the prospect of liquidating us.

I'm not a Vale fan because I demand success, or because I think we're entitled to it, but Christ it would be lovely to have a year where I feel happy in May.

6 minutes ago, 1 said:

I think we’re nailed on for 3rd. Gibbo played 5 great minutes and did that flying header, Stone caught a few crosses and Harratt has grown a fierce goatee while sitting on the bench. Rovers and Mansfield are so red hot that it’s likely they’ll come to a stiff, icy period right at crunch time and flop against teams playing for nothing. Northampton have got to go to the iron curtain of Barrow, who have let in less than 3 in multiple games now. Plus they’ll be roared on by a formidable crowd in the high hundreds. Meanwhile, Hussey really settled into the back 3 as the game went on - the last few crosses stayed on the pitch and given more balls into his feet he could have knocked some into the box eventually. Just keep the same team from the last 3, it’s bound to come good soon and we’re showing green shoots of confidence. Exeter must be knackered after celebrating all those goals and jogging back to the centre circle to kick off again every 2 seconds. That’s bound to take it’s toll and we’ll be right there to capitalise. Sell out crowd again, which we know stirs something within the players and gets the best out of them. The playoffs is absolutely guaranteed and top 3 should be sealed without too much fuss on Saturday.

LOVE IT 😍😍😍 

1 minute ago, Paul6754 said:

FFS, bugger-off and support Stoke or one of the Manchester clubs.

Don’t see how you can argue with any of that mate. I’ll always go Vale till the day I die, but it hasn’t half been a <ovf censored> life supporting our club so far for people like us.

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I've seen:

And:

• 2 relegations
  • 2 adminstrations
  • 2 protest movements
  • This bottle

I’m 103, I was there when Rudgie was born and I said to the wee fella as I snipped the cord “you’ll be great for Port Vale, just wait and see.” I put his first little flat cap on, handed him to his mum and left for Vale Park. That little baby for which the prophecy was told did not disappoint, but the tea leaves did not send another. Alas, they may never do.

Archived