Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

Advert:

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, darren1810 said:

But if we can get that point or Sutton fail to win then the play offs are a toss of a coin. An off day, a refereeing nightmare ( Roger Milford ) , we aren't out of it yet. I'm trying to keep faith that we'll eke out a result. 

I know you're talking more on this weekend's game here - but for a wider point on the play offs, too, see Northampton 2020. Went into the POs ahead of Vale on PPG, in average form, comfortably beaten in the first leg by a much better Cheltenham side: 0-2. Turn up at the away leg 4 days later, Cobblers win 0-3. They then went to Wembley and completely dismantled Exeter: 4-0. (In the long run, for this example, you could argue Cheltenham and Exeter have come off better, so there is another conclusion to draw here - but that's immeasurable.)

It can, does and has happened when teams who just look down and out turn up out of nowhere in a PO situation. Almost like a complete reset of the season. No pressure in terms of points or other team's results. 

I'm not saying Vale will do it, or even make the POs at this stage, I don't really know what I think after the last 3 games tbh, but like you say to think we are 'out of it' is utter rubbish.

Edited by southernsausage
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, darren1810 said:

We are where we are. Be honest I've joined in with the oh what about Sutton, Oldham, Rochdale but in the clear light of day every team has ' what ifs ' .

I can remember 2 examples off the top of my head. Bristol rovers were 1 up away to 9 man Salford and conceded a last minute goal. Northampton had the incorrect ' ghost goal ' given to FGR that cost them 2 points. 

Every team has tales of woe. 

But the tale of woe that does hurt is Conlon missing half a season,  Proctor and Wilson maybe 25 games between them. Gibbo half a season. 

4 absolutely crucial players .

But if we can get that point or Sutton fail to win then the play offs are a toss of a coin. An off day, a refereeing nightmare ( Roger Milford ) , we aren't out of it yet. I'm trying to keep faith that we'll eke out a result. 

Amen to that - and frankly, at this stage what's the point of thinking any other way?