onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

4 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

Are we paying the price for the mixed recruitment last summer? The fact we can't get folks like Loft because of our structure puts out red flags and means we have to be spot on with signings or we will go nowhere.

There's no red flags for having a sensible wage structure - it keeps the over-rated players' agents away from wasting our time. On the other hand, there are always gems available who fit within our structure - the trick is finding them. I think out recruitment has been pretty good, so far - more successes than failures!

Advert

2 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Agree with this. Also, one of the great things about this season has been the spirit in the dressing room and to jeopardise that by breaking the wage structure would be an extremely thick thing to do.

if your going to own a football club in the EFL you have got to be aware that to progress that club you will have to spend more than the next club to get the best stock (players ) unless your very lucky and employ some unknown players that turn out to be world beaters in the lower leagues .we have not done that at the Vale since the Bell/Rudge era , this season is turning out be a wash out , admittedly because of a lot of injuries and Covid  , but we have a transfer window to address it , other clubs are splashing out and making statements of intent , but not the Vale , but the owners will expect us vale fans to renew our season tickets next year with promises of promotion again , i love the Vale and have spent more than my fair share over the years sponsoring matches etc , but I am frustrated with the continual talk the talk , but no one is walking the walk , Rant over 

if your going to own a football club in the EFL you have got to be aware that to progress that club you will have to spend more than the next club to get the best stock (players ) unless your very lucky and employ some unknown players that turn out to be world beaters in the lower leagues .we have not done that at the Vale since the Bell/Rudge era , this season is turning out be a wash out , admittedly because of a lot of injuries and Covid  , but we have a transfer window to address it , other clubs are splashing out and making statements of intent , but not the Vale , but the owners will expect us vale fans to renew our season tickets next year with promises of promotion again , i love the Vale and have spent more than my fair share over the years sponsoring matches etc , but I am frustrated with the continual talk the talk , but no one is walking the walk , Rant over 
I understand your frustration bud, but there are many factors at play - it's not simply a case of "splashing the cash".
Firstly we need to identify the players we would like and hope they become available.
Then they need to want to come, for the deal we can offer.
Families may need to be uprooted, children moving schools, etc etc.
The list is endless and I'm sure no stone is being left unturned in the search for new blood.
We have to hope things are about to change, we've had more than our fair share of injuries and set-backs, let's keep supporting the 11 on the pitch, as fans that's pretty much all we can do.
UTV.

16 minutes ago, mvb said:

Might as well not bother playing eh?

Just everyone compare budgets at the start of the year and put them in order in the table.

Probably still play the playoff games as that’s a bit of a gamble and the fans need SOME entertainment.

23 minutes ago, mvb said:

other clubs are splashing out and making statements of intent , but not the Vale , but the owners will expect us vale fans to renew our season tickets next year with promises of promotion again ..... continual talk the talk , but no one is walking the walk

Vale offered me a deal that I couldn’t turn down, especially at the age of 33 and they are a big, forward-thinking club with a good infrastructure that are having a bit of a go and they’ve gone above and beyond to get me.

“Cheltenham said they wanted to keep me, but they didn’t do anything to try and keep me.

4 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

It does matter if you load a larger portion of your salary on one player and he gets injured. Your remaining players are of lesser quality and now the premium element of your budget isnt availabvle.

Balanced wages structures with bonuses and add on's being used to differentiate is a sensible approach.

Yes when we all desperately want a known goal scorer it seems a shame.. but long term its the right thing to do.

I would also hazard a guess that the "I have heard of them therefore they must be good" players will also attract a premium over and above that they deserve.... worsening my first point because they may not actually deserve the extra they command.

We should know, by now, that signing a "name" player is no guarantee that he will be successful here - that's been true for 30 - 40 years, at least! If players are aware of our wage structure it manages their expectations...maybe shuts their agents up, too, and leads to sensible discussion. Hall's interview confirms it was the attitude and direction of the club that persuaded him to sign for us. I suspect this has been true of most of our recent signings. If a sensible wage structure exists, but there is a chance of good bonuses - linked to success on the pitch - that ought to be a good incentive? 

Might as well not bother playing eh?
Just everyone compare budgets at the start of the year and put them in order in the table.
Probably still play the playoff games as that’s a bit of a gamble and the fans need SOME entertainment.
Carol could be in real trouble as well, given that promotion was seemingly promised as a condition to buy a ST. Basic contract law that is

I don't think a wage cap is a bad idea at all. But you can always discuss where to place the cap. We've decided on 1850, knowing that that would put us out of the running, with a certain ilk of players. So I guess the question is not why we have a wage cap, but why they decided on 1850, and not ie. 2500, which would make us able to attract another level of players?

Getting a new keeper in is a waste of money we could be spend elsewhere. There have been numerous reasons why we have dropped off: form, injuries, formation, lacklustre energy etc have all played their part. Obviously Cov’s antics haven’t helped, but a silly mistake at Northampton and then a crazy decision he’s unlikely to repeat against Swindon are not the main obstacles at this point. Stone is fine for a back up who’s going to play 5 games a season, and Cov is good enough if he stamps out the glaring errors. Surely if DC sits him down and tells him straight up that he is on very thin ice, no employee who needs the money is going to go out and risk his career, they’re going to listen. Give him the talk and get him back between the sticks. Clean sheets are not going to stop us getting into the playoffs, the formation and the ongoing striker situation / general goal threat is much more pressing. Hussey and Hall are great singings, a new keeper is just throwing money away that could otherwise be spent on two midfielders rather than one, a winger for extra options, or literally any other position other than a keeper!

I don't think a wage cap is a bad idea at all. But you can always discuss where to place the cap. We've decided on 1850, knowing that that would put us out of the running, with a certain ilk of players. So I guess the question is not why we have a wage cap, but why they decided on 1850, and not ie. 2500, which would make us able to attract another level of players?
I'm pretty sure that with all of the bonuses, the wage will be closer to 2,500 for those at the top of the bracket. Which begs the question - would you rather players be incentivised to earn more, or get more as a basic simply for turning up? I know which kind of player I would like more

I’d love to know what cash offers we’ve had for Rodney, I’d personally ask for 100k but settle at 70k as I can’t see him getting better and it’s pointless having players that don’t fit the system. He’ll walk for free next summer having done nothing next season either. Obviously I hope he proves me wrong but that’s my prediction.

I feared at some point Carol would be accused of not "Splashing the cash" personally I think it's grossly unfair, I notice that the WUM's are starting to dig Carol out, she does not under any circumstances deserve that.  She is building a club from the bottom up after years of neglect and don't forget liquidations, for goodness sake we don't need that scenario again.  I realise it wont be popular but patience is the key.

Archived