Match Thread: Port Vale v Bradford City

Fosse69

Top half of the table within our grasp, leapfrog Bradford City with a win and hope that FGR win at Crawley. Hopefully unscathed after the encounter with the thugs and a more pleasant game to watch. Another shuffle around of our options, another  clean sheet  number 6 and 2 goals will do nicely.

38 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Top half of the table within our grasp, leapfrog Bradford City with a win and hope that FGR win at Crawley. Hopefully unscathed after the encounter with the thugs and a more pleasant game to watch. Another shuffle around of our options, another  clean sheet  number 6 and 2 goals will do nicely.

I'd definitely be giving Guthrie 45 mins against this lot... I would also like to see Pope and Rodney together again to see how well they could potentially gel if DC wants to keep the Pontiff.

Posted (edited)

It's a crazy feeling now going into games and fully expecting to win! 2 months ago I thought Vale were dead and buried and would only survive relegation, if at all, by the skin of it's teeth. I couldn't have been more wrong and I'm very happy to have been wrong. What Clarke has done, after a difficult start, is beyond anybody's expectations, even the most optimistic. Turning our defense, which was an absolute shambles, to the best in the league over the last 10 games or so is something Clarke and the rest of the players can be extremely proud about.

Edited by Beech
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Beech said:

It's a crazy feeling now going into games and fully expecting to win! 2 months ago I thought Vale were dead and buried and would only survive relegation, if at all, by the skin of it's teeth.

If Clarke had won 2 and lost 13 of his 15 of his games so far we'd still be above Southend and Grimsby.

Btu yes, this unbelievable run has shown the potential of Clarke and this squad with new additions.

Carol's decisions this season have been vindicated. We're going up next season with fans in the ground to see it!

• Like 5

What was that song about Oyeleke, he never loses the ball?

Conlon needs a 'he only scores great goals' one because it's true. I'd make a compilation of all the free kicks hammering in top bins plus the volley from last night and the one against Yeovil but I don't want anyone outside Vale to see it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Doha said:

What was that song about Oyeleke, he never loses the ball?

Conlon needs a 'he only scores great goals' one because it's true. I'd make a compilation of all the free kicks hammering in top bins plus the volley from last night and the one against Yeovil but I don't want anyone outside Vale to see it. 

Quigley saw it, and he was never Vale, certainly isn't now.

Bradford on a losing streak and a chance for Guthrie to prove them wrong. I'm hoping for a win, and a top half finish with the remaining games looking winnable. I just hope we don't relax too much, or tinker with the side more than we need to. 

No need to go mad with the changes. Staying unbeaten and not conceding goals is better than seeing a load of random also-rans given contracts on the back of a non-existant scouting and recruitment plan

• Confused 1

Bradford are really struggling to create any chances at the moment nor score goals... .against our rock solid defence...

On paper we should achieve a clean sheet and a good chance of victory but as we know football isnt always like that.

Wouldnt mind a look at Pope and Rodney together in this assuming Dave isnt injured?

Feeling though he might send a fired up Guthrie out against his former employers though.

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

I think it was against Bradford City in the mid 60's that Vale fielded the youngest forward line to start a game in the Football League, don't know if it still stands.

I would think it would take some beating.

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

I think it was against Bradford City in the mid 60's that Vale fielded the youngest forward line to start a game in the Football League, don't know if it still stands.

Quiz time, off the top of my head......

Mckenzie  Georgeson Bannister Cullerton is the best I can do, theres one missing any offers ???

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Quiz time, off the top of my head......

Mckenzie  Georgeson Bannister Cullerton is the best I can do, theres one missing any offers ???

Paul Ogden. I think it was Donald not McKenzie??

Edited by Jacko51
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Well looking forwards to this one after that test against barrow they certainly gave us a physical experience in every way but we came out on top .

Be interesting see who he goes with up front I liked  the remainder of the game with Swann and Pope we looked very dangerous on Tuesday and having Pope up there allows the midfielders to be confident that's something going drop for them.

Guthrie's a good player and I'd give him chance at some point shine v them .

Will Rodney and Robinson be in contention after rest v Barrow .

So much to ponder I  wonder if Hurst is going get game time after all we have committed to the lad till 2023 so let's see him in a confident side .

Mckirdy wasn't used v Barrow but will he be used v Bradford. 

Will Burgess be given game time (did he do enough on tues for me he did but does DC and AC think he did there the pros and I trust there judgement not mine .

I Get the game free with last ten home games (having had a ten match ticket )so I'd say it's going be a win for Vale 2 -1 Guthrie and Conlon .

Be better if to nil but Bradford's a hard game always and I have seen Vale on many occasions at home come a cropper v these .

So very high level of competence required 

UTV 

Edited by Breadwinner
  • Like 1