17 minutes ago, bomber said:

I know its a bit controversial but the clubs in the lower leagues that generally do well have a rather direct style of play. Its all well and good trying to play like Manchester City but if you don't have the players you are wasting your time. A lot of national league clubs doing well have quite a few six footers. I suppose Cheltenham have a good  approach play a bit of football then mix it up with long throws and set pieces, Toser has quite a few assists. 

I agree, I have been saying for sometime we as a side are far to much a nice tip tappy kind of side, we need to add some leaders and some right hard type players, in league two you need at least 5 or 6 of these with a sprinkling of flair around them in the attacking area’s, We need to add some height and toughness as well in the midfield area as we are to nice in the middle it’s all to similar. Let’s go and find 5-6 streetwise hard as nails leaders who take no messing!

In terms of next season(assuming we don’t get relegated) we need to decide which players we think are good enough to go up a level and keep them and think about letting the rest move on, at the moment for me only Brown, Gibbons, Worrall, Conlon, Taylor, and maybe in the future Hurst & Rodney fit into this thinking, the only other player I’d keep for another year would be Montano and Smith if he bucks up his ideas.

Before next season though I’d like to see some kind of leadership or plan from the club for this season? This starts with finding the right permanent manager to allow him to plan for 21/22 season. Or have we all given up on this season and surrendered!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Monty involved in 30+ games for the last 5 seasons. Is unfairly bracketed with Manny, and definitely one to keep for both his versatility and creativity - something we desperately need more of.

Second highest scorer when he's been on the wings, keeping natural full-backs out of the team when he's been played out of position at left-back. All round good egg. Certainly one to keep for me.

After Carols interview, I'm beginning to feel more positive about the season to come. A new manager with positive ideas, coming into a massive summer for us with basically a clean slate and squad. A

Posted Images

We have been a soft side for sometime. These harder players need a bit of managing many of the previous managers we have had could not tolerate them. Its left us short of back bone, who do you want next to you in the trenches ? Andy Porter Aspo and the like.

20 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Source: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/motherwell-talent-spotter-hailed-fir-20077539

If we're going for any ex-player as DoF, I'd have Aspin back.

Discovered Vardy, and as has been pointed out several times 85% of our current first team was brought by him. We also just missed out On Mark Sykes (now at Oxford, then in Ireland) and Danny Rowe (before his move to Ipswich) under him.

Aspin won’t come back to Vale. 

On 23/01/2021 at 13:18, Joe B said:

Is Martin Foyle still 'Head of Recruitment' at Motherwell? This is the sort of role we need.

He's clearly well-regarded:

Source: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/motherwell-talent-spotter-hailed-fir-20077539

This is what the club needs. Someone with a remit to coordinate recruitment, ideally with managerial experience at a good level.

They're struggling this season but finished 3rd last season. I'm not saying we appoint Foyle, but someone in that mould.

Interesting that they also trawl Facebook / Twitter as ‘it says a lot about a players character’.  

Wonder what the assessment of our current No9’s character would be?

Advert:

21 hours ago, Walka003 said:

If we're going for any ex-player as DoF, I'd have Aspin back.

Discovered Vardy, and as has been pointed out several times 85% of our current first team was brought by him. We also just missed out On Mark Sykes (now at Oxford, then in Ireland) and Danny Rowe (before his move to Ipswich) under him.

But his squad has largely struggled in the lower reaches of this league.  It’s just that Askey didn’t improve it, albeit he did get better performances out of them for a time.

Lee Sinnott signed the majority of Adams promotion team - but he was a gash manager (albeit with knives in his back)

On 23/01/2021 at 13:11, Joe B said:

I think this summer is a massive opportunity to re-align how we approach things.

Even in the halcyon days where there was greater parity, you still had teams spending more and accumulating bloated squads. We've never been in territory like the one we will encounter in 21/22.

The salary cap, for all its flaws, should in theory benefit the smarter, efficient clubs and punish the lazy, inefficient clubs.

I would love to think we were sitting down/Zooming some clever individuals from across the sporting industry to allow us to take advantage of these changes; scouting networks, data analytics, squad building, cap management, decision-making structure.

Having a clear vision on how we want to play, what sort of players we want to sign, where/how we will find them, how much we can spend on each position; these are the things to be nailed down now if this is to be a 'pause' season.

Could be a good opportunity. Could.

you must be joking, surely.😕

Advert:

50 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I didn't say that I did, was just asking why he wouldn't come back if we wanted him to. 

He was very bitter about his departure. 

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle said:

But his squad has largely struggled in the lower reaches of this league.  It’s just that Askey didn’t improve it, albeit he did get better performances out of them for a time.

Lee Sinnott signed the majority of Adams promotion team - but he was a gash manager (albeit with knives in his back)

And the key player in the promotion team was signed by Jim Gannon!

25 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I think that was probably down to the poor treatment he received from the one we don't mention. I am sure he would like to come back and prove he could do a job for Vale with the right support.

Advert:

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

That's really sad. May not have achieved what he set out to do but always carried himself with dignity and I'm sure he'd get a standing ovation if he ever visits Vale Park again.

Brown

visser

gibbo

brisley

smith

montano

conlon

taylor

rodney

worrall

+ new

+ a manager who’d managed a football league game prior to joining

After Carols interview, I'm beginning to feel more positive about the season to come.

A new manager with positive ideas, coming into a massive summer for us with basically a clean slate and squad.

A big number of probable high earners leaving. Cullen, Robinson, Pope and Legge I would guess would be a massive chunk of our wage budget. Throw Manny, Monty and Joyce into that depending on the new managers point of view and it gives a them a huge opportunity to build there own squad.

Build the team around Gibbo, Conlon, Rodney and Taylor. Young, energetic and full of endeavour.

• Like 3