onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

6 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Just a thought but if you owned the Vale and you were facing ...

A substantial commitment to the previous owner.

No date for being allowed to open your doors to let customers in.

Ongoing salaries to pay for players you can't use and had been hoping to offload.

Doubts over ST's income for the following season.

Very little chance of gaining promotion this season and even less of getting relegated.

Would you look to bring in a new Manager on a high salary now or leave it in the hands of a steady Eddie until the end of the season by which time many of the above financial unknowns will have become clear.

Makes a lot of sense but Steady Eddie Pugh says it’s not for him and Carol has said we’re looking for experience amongst other things.

For me if we get a positive result and performance on Saturday under Pugh, then just roll with it and keep looking.  Assuming Pugh is still caretaker on Saturday.

Advert

4 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Pragmatism is the name of the game here.  When the facts change, you can change your mind.  And the facts have changed.

I'm also a bit concerned about giving the job to a man who himself doesn't think he's ready. That's an almighty risk.

I'll be chuffed with Pugh as I win a bit of money off it, but it's also all very confusing. 

Either way, I still believe a new, external manager will be through the door this week. At no point have I argued against this; just that' giving it to Pugh' contradicts everything Carol has said up to this point. 

There's overwhelming, public evidence that 'giving it to Pugh' is the exact opposite of what we're doing.

Just now, Joe B said:

Then unfortunately, and I don't condone this, the club will face ire from fans who read, and believed, the absolutist statements made in the past week.

If we've veered from 'we're sticking with Danny' to 'Danny doesn't want it, the new manager will have experience' back to 'we're sticking with Danny', you can understand fan bewilderment. 

I'm not here to discuss the merits of Pugh; I quite like him from what I've seen and read. It's just the overall confusing picture as to the changing direction we're taking. Hope it works out for Carol, as this has been a big lesson in communications. 

Let's assume that Carol was expecting some of the higher paid players to be off the wage bill during the transfer window.  That would free up some cash to add to the manager pot.  But they haven't gone and we are still having to pay them.  That changes things.

Let's assume that the fans are whingeing because the club has said nothing about the managerial position.  So Carol makes a statement saying the sort of bloke we are looking for.  Guardiola isn't interested so we line up a bloke who, whilst far from perfect, matches a few of the criteria.  But because of the situation mentioned above and a bit of glitsch in salary negotiations, it seems he isn't coming. 

The only thing Carol has done wrong is to misunderstand how fans react to every word and rumour that comes out of the club. 

I assume Joe that your comment about promises was aimed at me, whatever, given the current climate , I’d not promise anyone anything. You can do your best but things change and this could be one. Anyway, I assume nobody as ever broken a non promise!

Another issue here is that , as stated many times, this site isn’t representative of the fan base and nor is Face Book. Ask anyone who doesn’t use these forums and many would support Pugh given his results , covid, costs etc. You’d be surprised. 

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Let's assume that Carol was expecting some of the higher paid players to be off the wage bill during the transfer window.  That would free up some cash to add to the manager pot.  But they haven't gone and we are still having to pay them.  That changes things.

Let's assume that the fans are whingeing because the club has said nothing about the managerial position.  So Carol makes a statement saying the sort of bloke we are looking for.  Guardiola isn't interested so we line up a bloke who, whilst far from perfect, matches a few of the criteria.  But because of the situation mentioned above and a bit of glitsch in salary negotiations, it seems he isn't coming. 

The only thing Carol has done wrong is to misunderstand how fans react to every word and rumour that comes out of the club. 

I haven't criticised Carol, Jean!

All I've done is repeat the unequivocal statements that she herself said in the local press (not rumours!).

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

And affects possible compensation to another club. 

2 hours ago, dishydave said:

I wonder if we've had any women managers apply like Wimbledon have

Yes, Emma Hayes who has a superb record in women's football is reported to be under consideration along with all the usual suspects and one or two others:  Ian Holloway, Sol Campbell, Derek Adams, Joey Barton, and National League Boreham Wood’s Luke Garrard, a former Don's player.

The club is saying, "...a considerable number of applications have already been received, many from respected managers with immense experience in the game."

While the fans are mentioning Pardew, Cook, Chris Powell, Wimbledon legend Lawrie Sanchez and a few others...

Sounds a bit like here! 

3 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Where has she said she is giving it to Pugh though?  You are getting yourself in a right kerfuffle.

Why is it a problem if it takes another few weeks to get to the right man?  How many clubs in our position fail to get there first choice?  I would imagine its quite a large percentage.  All sorts of things can scupper an appointment, salary, expectation, relocation expectation, bonus structures, just not feeling it after thinking about it...  you simply move on.

Who knows what the problem is,if indeed there is a problem and we should never know either as contract negotiations, if indeed we have offered one yet, are confidential.

Let's stick to the known facts.  Carol said she would appoint a manager that ticked certain boxes.  I dont remember he saying it would be yesterday, today or any other day.  So whats changed from when you were bouncing around happy with what she said last week?

No, I fully agree with everything you say. You've misread what I've said/the point I'm making.

People in here are on about 'giving it to Pugh'. My only point was that probably won't happen, considering everything Carol has said. I've got no issue with Pugh holding the fort till the right man is found; I'm hoping he makes another 4 games so my bet comes in!

I'm still happy with what Carol said - it was spot on and I expect the appointment to deliver on that front. I have far more faith in Carol to stick to her word than others, it seems. 

2 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Fair enough, out of interest have you been furloughed or something?  I thought teachers were run off there feet at the minute preping online lessons and marking work etc... 😉

It's lunch time! Next Zoom at 1:00pm. Not much else to do during breaks as most websites are blocked on the school wifi.  

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I haven't criticised Carol, Jean!

All I've done is repeat the unequivocal statements that she herself said in the local press (not rumours!).

But not said in a court of law. Unwanted players still on the wage bill, unrealistic demands,  so economics and practicalities come into it. Maybe it will happen maybe it will not. Things happen.

Carols interview last week certainly led me to believe that the wheels were in motion to appoint a new manager, she also made some strong statements re. what the process was and what they were looking for.

Obviously and she will know better than most, that situations can alter , either party can quite legitimately withdraw from the interview process.

If I would criticise, I would say Carols last few statements have been very optimistic and they could be accused of building up supporters hopes, supporters who are worried about team performances and the clubs position in the league.

I am NOT blaming Carol per say, but I would ask her to consider the press releases that are coming out of the club, Carol is very new to the job and innocently may not realise that supporters on social media sites and fanzines pick up on the slightest intonation, the placing of a full stop or comma etc.

The quality of news and updates coming out of the club has definitely gone down this season, and they could calm the situation down a lot by being a bit more circumspect, it would ease the pressure being brought about by fans wanting to know what's happening and it would also stop those trying to make a name for themselves on the internet.

Archived