Next Manager

26 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Surely that goes without saying.

You cannot offer someone the manager role and they say your backroom team is ????

I would expect Carol to have issues if that is the case

That's probably what the issue is.It's normal football procedure for a manager to bring in his own staff.Hasn't Carol brought in her own staff,commercially,to replace staff over the past few months ?🤔🤔

• Like 1

Advert:

1 minute ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

That's probably what the issue is.It's normal football procedure for a manager to bring in his own staff.Hasn't Carol brought in her own staff,commercially,to replace staff over the past few months ?🤔🤔

Its expensive getting rid of a manager AND HIS TEAM but once you dwcidd he is going then you need to see it through. No turning back.

If you cannot afford then dont get rid and try sort ghe issue out another way, if possible.

• Like 2

So Sproston says something about managers wanting to bring in their own staff, which I assume would suggest that this is the problem in appointing the number one target. If true, why on earth wasn’t this thrashed out during the interview!!!

Perhaps Carol wouldn’t concede 🤷‍♀️ Loyalty to Pugh 🤷‍♀️
  • Like 1

Why should a new manager have to work with Pugh et al? It simply doesn’t work. It’s plain to see that we need a fresh start.

Any new manager will have built relationships with their own back room staff. Why should they come in and work with randomers? Randomers that have been a failure by the way. 

This whole mollycoddling of Pugh is embarrassing. What has he actually achieved at Port Vale?

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, sinnott2spinnit said:

So Sproson says something about managers wanting to bring in their own staff, which I assume would suggest that this is the problem in appointing the number one target. If true, why on earth wasn’t this thrashed out during the interview!!!

If you heard the interview you will know that Sproson was actually commenting on an earlier interview, from someone who's name I missed, regarding the process involved in appointing manager, such as the questions the owners should be asking and the questions the managerial candidate would ask.  Referencing the backroom staff, Sproson was merely speculating, rather than suggesting, that this was one potential reason for the lack of any appointment.

The original interview was well worth a listen, maybe someone can post a link, or at least the guys name.

Advert:

As I recall Carol said that she'd like Pugh to stay at the club and that he was highly thought of. But she never said it was a redline issue.

Reading between the lines it seems were getting close to appointing someone but that talks seemed to have broken down and it's back to the shortlist.

One thing I've learned from reading up on Flitcroft and McGreal is how many connections there are to current players and staff.

Flitcroft: signed Pugh and Pope, was dropped by Askey

McGreal: centre-back partnership with Sinclair, signed Robinson

12 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Tranmere have had huge external investment in the last couple of seasons - somewhere in the region of £3million.  We on the other hand, have had a constant drain on resources because of the need to pay off our former owner.  That's how they can afford the likes of Keith Hill and we can't at the moment.

At this moment in time Jean i would take Harry Hill

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

One thing Carol needs to do though, is to forget her scruples and consider releasing Pugh and Sinclair if they are preventing anyone accepting the job.

Totally agree with that as well,i actually like Pugh myself(sinclair's booming voice is getting on my twonks) maybe even put pugh in charge of youth and Academy ditch sinclair but allow a manager to bring in his own 1st team coaches

If we want someone decent who can actually take this club forward then like anything in life we need to pay for it. It’s a question of whether the club is happy to continue this dross year after year and appoint another nobody or pay for a decent manager and hopefully see the club finally progress. We’ve done so well in progressing the club off the field however on seems to being left behind. The manager is the most important and imo we should be paying to get someone quality in. That’s not to say if there demands are unreasonable we don’t look elsewhere or negotiate but we are desperate for someone who has been there and done it. Tranmere look a great side with hill as their manager, other league  2 sides seem to find a way to bring someone. 

I don’t buy this finance issue comment over a new manager. The club made the decision to sack askey, so surely funds have to be there to replace him otherwise that Dosent makes sense. (Unless carol was hoping Pugh would making a flying start). 

Essentially, for me if we want someone decent in we’re going to have to pay for them. And if derek adams did apply and didn’t even make the shortlist then something is just off at the club. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

It's just something Sproson said before the game about managers wanting to bring in their own staff and not accept what's already there.

This is a concern Jean,surely the football league future of the club is more important than keeping Pugh on etc,to be fair to pugh he says its up to those higher up what happens to him but he would like to stay on coaching,his interview was a little different though yesterday,to me it sounded like something was going to happen soon

Advert:

9 hours ago, SuperHuman said:

Why should a new manager have to work with Pugh et al? It simply doesn’t work. It’s plain to see that we need a fresh start.

Any new manager will have built relationships with their own back room staff. Why should they come in and work with randomers? Randomers that have been a failure by the way. 

This whole mollycoddling of Pugh is embarrassing. What has he actually achieved at Port Vale?

Correct it seems a recipe for disaster imo,what happens if they fall out over something after a few weeks with not knowing how each other works etc..... I aren't blaming Carol really but who the hell is advising her football wise behind the scenes,i think she really needs to up the game a bit where a search for a manager is concerned

2 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Correct it seems a recipe for disaster imo,what happens if they fall out over something after a few weeks with not knowing how each other works etc..... I aren't blaming Carol really but who the hell is advising her football wise behind the scenes,i think she really needs to up the game a bit where a search for a manager is concerned

I'd imagine Garlick is advising her as our resident 'football expert'.

If Pugh stays and we get Flitcroft it might work as they've worked together at Bury, but I'm all for a new manager bringing his own team in.

I'd imagine Garlick is advising her as our resident 'football expert'.
If Pugh stays and we get Flitcroft it might work as they've worked together at Bury, but I'm all for a new manager bringing his own team in.

Would not Rudge have some input?
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

I'm sure that Carol and the board are/were hoping that Danny Pugh could steady the ship whilst they search/wait for the right candidate to take control.
It's a really weird season for all teams and things may not be panning out as we all had hoped, but I'm sure that Carol and the board have far more idea of the financial implications of every decision they make especially with no sign of any income from fans anytime soon.
Getting the right man at the helm is difficult at the best times and even if they pay big bucks for who appears to be the best possible manager there is never any guarantee that they will be a success.
Time is a valuable commodity in football and we need to be patient and hope that wheels are turning steadily behind the scenes.

Condescending I know and I apologise to all those offended by such a post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

I don’t buy this finance issue comment over a new manager. The club made the decision to sack askey, so surely funds have to be there to replace him otherwise that Dosent makes sense. (Unless carol was hoping Pugh would making a flying start)

We have brought in five new players in this window, one of whom was not anticipated - the keeper. I very much suspect we were anticipating a couple leaving, indeed there was talk of Legge going to Oldham. I also wonder if the club was expecting Robinson to go as it was reported he was going to be deregistered and wouldn’t be playing. They are two of our better paid players but didn’t leave. So it may be that our budget does not have the cash available that we thought it was going to have. This is all part of the crazy times we find ourselves in at the moment. As I’ve said, I wouldn’t be in Carol’s position for all the tea in China.