Advert

Manager Poll

Doha

Manager Poll  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Askey in/out

• In
    • Out

We don’t have the strength in depth to cover the current number of key injuries, a couple of key signings of squad players don’t seem to have come off. I’m thoroughly depressed by current results and a smaller number of performances. Having counted to 100 after Saturday my call is: time to dig in and stick with Askey.

Advert

We don’t have the strength in depth to cover the current number of key injuries, a couple of key signings of squad players don’t seem to have come off. I’m thoroughly depressed by current results and a smaller number of performances. Having counted to 100 after Saturday my call is: time to dig in and stick with Askey.
I was fuming Saturday but I'm going stick my neck out I agree with you here 5/6 players out of any team weakens it even at the top level. But he signs the back up players and therefore must shoulder the blame

I have been trying to think rationally (which is rare for me) and put myself in Carols shoes. I’m trying to understand some potential thought processes that she will be going through to try and understand why we are in this position.

Before I start, a disclaimer as a run of bad results is bringing out the worst in lots of us...  these are nothing but my views on what I think Carol may be thinking. For clarity I want Askey gone. I will allude to rumours but have no proof whether they are true or not. 

So...

Thought 1: Sack Askey.

Cons (again, not my views just what Carol may be thinking):

This is costly in a time of limited resources. The chances of a new manager getting us promoted is very slim. So the only line Carol need to get herself comfortable is that John won’t take us down. Then she can reassess in the summer.

That’s on top of not having time to do research and find someone she wants before the window opens. Who will then be in charge of the window? And who would deal with the rumoured “bad eggs”.

Askey was there from the start and has no doubt been increasingly helpful to new owners ina  new industry, can she find someone who will be as root and branch as he is and Micky Adams was.

Pro’s

Maybe the players fall back in line with a new manager, that would save money on paying off contracts and bringing in new players. 

Results can’t get worse.

Thought 2. Keep Askey

Cons: 

The fans are clearly turning. This poll has been rerun on Twitter and has moved significantly to the out column. Revenue will start to be impacted quickly.

Pros: 

She is surrounded by John “I was one game from the sack” Rudge and Colin Garlick who she trusts football wise. I can’t see them advocating sacking John.

John will be telling her “this has been a terrible 6/7 weeks out of 18 months where I have been great for you. I have some player issues but give me the transfer window and I will get rid of them” (I know we don’t rate his transfer business but he will have credits in the shanahan bank due to his performance last year).

He will be telling her that he has injured players that he just needs to get back fit.

In parts of games we have been good enough, scoring 6 against Bolton, being the better side in the Colchester game etc... it just need to “re-click”

summary:

As we currently stand, my guess is that she will give him, rightly or wrongly, the January window to sort out the issues.

There is no way she is happy with what’s happening, but I believe she will afford him the opportunity to sort it out.

If we lose against Bradford and Mansfield then the situation may become untenable.

Final thoughts from me if Carol just so happens to be reading this. John has been an amazing servant, and he should be fondly remembered for playing a part in helping save the club. But you said yourself you are the custodian of the club that belongs to the fans and the community... I hope you won’t let your own loyalty get in the way of that.

But Carol, I know how hard this is, you saved us, there will be no kicking and screaming from me. 

Askeys been in the game long enough to know if you dont get results then the inevitable will happen. We’ve won one game in ten league games, a couple of tough fixtures coming up (aren’t they all tough) so how long will he get? He cannot stay if we lose the next two. If he does we probably end up going down. Will the owner want that after all the talk we heard in summer about promotion. Imagine going down after all the hard work off the pitch? It isnt worth thinking about (just yet)

2 hours ago, Valiant62 said:

Hello 62, or Valiant, if I may. I'm going to award your post with a "like". I don't agree with the last sentence of your post, but elsewhere we're both Vale fans and only want what's best. You've stood up and spoken up. That's good enough for me.

15 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

How bad was the situation when he got the sack at Shrewsbury ?

In my head he only lasted until maybe November and came to Vale in February 2018 ? 

I think they were coming off the back of an unbelievable season where they lost in the play off final and also reached the final of the EFL trophy. Understandable that they didn’t want that momentum to drop. 

51 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I think they were coming off the back of an unbelievable season where they lost in the play off final and also reached the final of the EFL trophy. Understandable that they didn’t want that momentum to drop. 

The reason for their success was that their best players were on loan and returned to parent clubs on completion of the season. Hurst then left for Ipswich. From a friend who is a Shrews fan, it was a hard act to follow and his tactics were negative. 

Played 21 won 5, league position 18th

5 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

The reason for their success was that their best players were on loan and returned to parent clubs on completion of the season. Hurst then left for Ipswich. From a friend who is a Shrews fan, it was a hard act to follow and his tactics were negative. 

Negative tactics 🤔 Mmmmmmm sure that sounds  familiar!!!! 

Archived