Doha

Manager Poll  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Askey in/out

• In
    • Out

Advert

4 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

No. One of my big worry is that the board Carol has assembled is mainly made up of <OVF edited>. Should Martin Tidswell for example be on the board? 

I have no issue with her appointing people she trusts and rates (though I have well-known views about Tideswell).

However, I feel at times like this, is anyone in there providing the alternative view? Garlick is unlikely to ever advocate for the sacking of Askey. The rest of the board are Synectics appointees (again, no issue with this from a business perspective) or Tideswell.

I just feel some football know-how, not related to Port Vale, could be very useful right now. Garlick is the only man in there with football industry experience and I simply cannot see him arguing that it's time for Askey to go. 

I think, whether people are in agreement with the current course of action take or not, they have to agree that for a manager to still be in his position after such a poor run, and being so below expectations, is not commonplace in the game these days. I would be intrigued to learn what discussions had taken place regarding this quagmire.

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

I simply said they worked together for a long time with lots of success at Macc. I also said clearly I had no idea what’s actually happening but in my opinion I can’t imagine he will be quick to suggest Carol get rid of Askey.

Im not sure what you mean by Mob mentality... This is a forum to discuss all things vale and posturing around things like this is perfectly normal place.

You seem to know better and now claim he is mr Ruthless. I can’t see it myself.

I have no idea who said they were certain that Garlick would give Askey more time, but it then got jumped as being a factor in us not potentially getting rid of Askey. Like I said mob mentality assuming it was true and then wanting Garlick gone too. 

Garlick is extremely ruthless in his dealing for the benefit of the club, particularly in player deals, contract negotiations, agents and the general football administration side of things with the authorities. You don’t hold that kind of position in a football club by being a nice yes man. He is the buffer having to do what’s best for the club between the owners and the manager/players, and also between the club and the FA. So I think he’ll put the club first, that’s his job. 

12 hours ago, vale@rocks said:

Our last six games has delivered a current placing of 23rd in the bottom two of the league 2 table. If this form and slide continues we are heading to non league. Our next two games are at Bradford then Mansfield. Even the most positive Port Vale supporter would be sceptical on our chances let alone mid table by the seasons end. 

It's worse: the last 8 games put us on 24th - propping up the entire football league.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-two/form/matches:8/type:home-and-away/

So, yes, at the moment we are definitely heading for non-league, which would be a complete disaster for the club.

The question for our owners is, therefore, do they believe that Askey should be given more time or not?

If it's no, then they need to act quickly because we are currently in free fall and the new manager would need to be given access to the transfer window in January.

If it's yes, then they need to have Plan B ready because leaving Askey in post after one of the worst runs in the club's history is a serious risk and they will need to act very, very quickly if things continue as they are.

My big worry is that because they haven't acted now, it looks as if they have decided to let him stay. But, if this form continues (and I can see no reason to be optimistic about this), at what point will they decide the game is up? By that point it could well be too late. And who then would take on the job?

The other factor in the debate is the theory that problems behind the scenes are causing our problems on the pitch. The logic, for me, is simple: if the manager, with the Chief Executive and Board behind him, can't sort out these problems decisively and effectively, then he shouldn't be in the job. Players ruining the plot? Are you serious? Who is in charge? That has got to be the most obvious reason for sacking any manager and bringing someone in who can. 

Personally, I hope that Askey can turn it around -  because he has done a lot for the club when we were in serious trouble. But, I'm sorry, I no longer have any faith that he can. Time for a change before it's too late. 

34 minutes ago, mattpvfc said:

A lot of the port vale staff have been finished by the club including Andy Burgess from the club shop

Who’s manager of the club shop now? 

35 minutes ago, Doha said:

That wasn't a purge or anything though. They simply had to let people go because of the pandemic. 

Couldn’t they have put the shop staff on furlough?

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

Garlick is extremely ruthless in his dealing for the benefit of the club, particularly in player deals, contract negotiations, agents and the general football administration side of things with the authorities. You don’t hold that kind of position in a football club by being a nice yes man. He is the buffer having to do what’s best for the club between the owners and the manager/players, and also between the club and the FA. So I think he’ll put the club first, that’s his job. 

I hope so

54 minutes ago, mattpvfc said:

A lot of the port vale staff have been finished by the club including Andy Burgess from the club shop

There is another chap who was front of house but i dont think i ever saw him smile or be jovial i dont know him so might be wrong but working there you should be slightly cheery at least

Archived