onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Cambridge United v Port Vale

Fosse69

A trip to the leaders Cambridge, scored 15 conceded 3, compared to our 5 and 2. Tight defences but they have twice banged 5 away to boost their stats. Formidable, but our spirits are up with the improved performance, and points, against the big spenders Salford. Robbo to keep his place and an attacking game in dry conditions will suit us. We have 3 away games in  the next 4 , so away points needed. Let’s go for the win Vale.

Advert

Can't see them sustaining there current form although I do think they'll be in and around the play-offs come the end of the season. They have our old boy Hannant in the side every week alongside the former Macclesfield striker, Ironside. No chance they are putting 5 past us. I will be a tight game with only a goal in it. I fancy us to get a point. 1-1.

We play better against the better sides and we seem to embrace been the underdogs. I'm more confident we'll put in good performances against Cambridge and then Oldham than I would be if we were playing the likes of Scunthorpe and Barrow. Cambridge, being top and at home, will try to take the game to us and that should suit us all day long if the correct side is picked.

It's a funny old game. Who would have expected CU to have scored so many and be where they are now are? But a terrific start and high levels of confidence can do wonders for a team.

A point away is always a useful one.

I too think I'd tend towards Robinson starting in this one. 

We'll need to be at our best to get a result in this one. Cambridge are playing with a lot of confidence under their new head coach Mark Bonner and their fans, judging by the feedback I'm getting, can hardly believe the start they've made. Yesterday, they rested Wes Hoolahan, their star signing in the summer, and played two up front (Mullins and Ironside) who both got a couple each. They had a bit of help from Scunthorpe - two penalties and a man sent off after 55 minutes - but by then they were already three up and in total control. Mullins scored both penalties with a strong drive down the middle of the goal. 

Here's Bonner talking about the win:

https://www.cambridge-united.co.uk/news/2020/october/bonz-post-sufc/

In their previous game, a 2-1 home win against in-form Newport, they played one striker (Mullins) with Hoolahan behind him in a number 10 role, which seemed to work very well. So they're more than capable of varying their formation depending on the opposition. As they rested Hoolahan yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if they brought him back against us. They've also only conceded  three goals in the league, two at Exeter in their only defeat, and one at home where they've scored five times. 

Not wishing to take anything from them, they look like a team that goes down early at the slightest touch but that seems to be the fashion these days. They also attack with pace down both flanks (Hannant on the left) and yesterday, three of their goals came from crosses or shots on that side. They also seem to have, judging by the highlights I've seen, a policy of shoot on sight. We have been warned!

Going to be tough but here's hoping for an epic battle and three points.

Hannant is a decent, busy player, but I'm not worried about his pace. Mullin is going through a purple patch as his overall record throughout his career is pretty average - A one in 4/5 games sort of player. Ironside was hardly pulling up trees for Macclesfield and hasn't suddenly turned into Harry Kane. Clearly they play as a team, but so do we. Hoolahan is a very good player at this level but only if you allow him to play. He's 38.

I had to check how old Paul Mullin was because it feels like he's been around forever. It turns out there are two of them and they both played for Morecambe in their time.

The 'other' one was always a handful against us for Accrington and Bradford back in the day.

Ironside looked quite handy against us for Macc on New Year's Day, which feels like a lifetime ago.

Expecting a very, very tough game on Tuesday. They are scoring for fun at the minute and they have only conceded one more than us. I think a point would be reasonable, but a win would obviously be a real statement of intent. 

I think Rodney could do with a spell on the bench, he has struggled since the Exeter game. Not all his fault, but on Saturday he was given his chance down the middle and didn’t do enough to justify keeping the shirt. Therefore, I think Robinson is due a run. Robbo looked lively and did very well for the goal. That would be the only change for me, unless Manny is ready.

I’m going to be optimistic and go for a 2-1 Vale win. 

If Hoolahan does play(wasnt he linked with us in his earlier days?) then maybe stick joyce on him and dont allow him to play,i have faith in Legge and Smith being capable of controlling Mullin and Ironside,our full backs are playing well at the moment,we just have to try and create a few chances,i guess because of the amount of goals they have scored they attack a fair and maybe other teams havent had much of a chance to attack their goal if pre occupied so lets nullify their threat then go at them.Very tricky game this one but one i would hope we can get something from

2 hours ago, Vale Fan In DGardens said:

Who's fresh and ready to go .

The win yesterday should give the players a lift .

Do I believe we can play better ,yes ,do we need to play better ,yes ,do behave the character win when not playing great Yes .

A team for me is one where they keep at it even when playing poorly.

Theres much more to come from this Vale side .

Away game do we bring in Popey to hold it up and bring us into the game or do we start with Robinson who's cameo yesterday was brilliant .

Glad I ain't the manager nice headache have though .

Need a little more in the attacking third but I believe we have the players do it .

Going be a big ask at a ground where traditionally we are poor .

My team is the same as sat bar one change either Robinson or Pope for Rodney .

Loved Robinsons cameo yesterday but I'm going away towards the Pope as he will be fresh  and hungry show what he can do  .

Bloody Hell....there's not many times I agree with VFIDG on selections but if everyone if fit and recovered I'd do the same as Satdee too, with a preference for Popey upfront simply as he'll be raring to go.....Theo or Rodders on at some stage in the second half. I fancy us to do well in these types of games...they aren't going to sit behind the ball and if we get our press going and break them up we'll be in with a shout....heart says 2-1 Vale, head says 1 apiece.

Has to be the same as yesterday. I would start with the same front 3. I also think Askey will do the same. I understand the situation with Rodney - being ‘raw’ etc. but I would aim to use his power and speed initially. I do agree though that Robinson looked decent yesterday. 

Keep things nice and tight and try to pick them off.

I suppose the Salford result will probably dictate that we have to go with the same 11. Personally I didn’t think much of the performances from our front 3 of Worrall, Rodney and Monty, (that is until both Worrall and Monty pop up to have a hand in the goal). But our attacking play was in the main poor. It says it all when our best attacking play in the last 4 games has come from our right back and indicates something isn’t right with the rest of the team who just aren’t firing yet. 

I suppose the Salford result will probably dictate that we have to go with the same 11. Personally I didn’t think much of the performances from our front 3 of Worrall, Rodney and Monty, (that is until both Worrall and Monty pop up to have a hand in the goal). But our attacking play was in the main poor. It says it all when our best attacking play in the last 4 games has come from our right back and indicates something isn’t right with the rest of the team who just aren’t firing yet. 
We were playing the promotion favourites, I think we had the better chances, it is early days and Clark is an attacking full back and I expect the odd goal off him as well as a few good crosses a game. But hope that Robbo starts.

Archived