• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my view, I don't care about what bans other players got - Pope has only himself to blame for this one. This isn't an isolated incident. He had already been charged twice in a matter of months

I'm sure this will all lead to civil and well-informed debate on the matter 🙂

There's quite a lot to unpack from this whole affair and much of it won't be obvious to a lot of people, not just because Stoke-on-Trent isn't known for having a large Jewish community, but also becau

It seems way over the top to me - in view of the facts of the case. He has a bit of form but I'm very surprised I must say - especially since they acknowledged it was not deliberately anti-semitic.  I would appeal and hope that it's halved. Even that would be very harsh in my view.

So Pope gets 6 game ban. It seems harsh, so first thought on it was that sometimes it’s best to take it on the chin and move on, seeing as he has plenty of previous (which in the end is probably reflected in the ban). Then I remembered Wayne Hennessy’s NAZI SALUTE!!!! The FA are an absolute disgrace

• Like 1

6 game ban for that tweet is harsh.

6 game ban for years of Pope being unprofessional on Twitter is soft. I'll choose, for my own sanity, to take it that way.

I sincerely hope the club don't appeal and let this entire embarrassment go away, instead of dragging it along and getting us some negative press.

Time to move on. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Thanks 1

Ridiculous really.

A six game ban, hefty fine and some course over a tweet.

Suarez BITES someone = 8 game ban. Dele Alli’s blatant racism = next to nowt.

Not to mention the Palace goalkeeper and his stupidity was ignored. Scandalous.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, robf said:

In my view, I don't care about what bans other players got - Pope has only himself to blame for this one.

This isn't an isolated incident. He had already been charged twice in a matter of months over tweets. Arguably with the amount of tweets he sent out there could have been more than three charges. He had a choice - get off social media or continue to chance his arm with more "hilarious" tweets and pay the consequences.

He made the choice and he's got his comeuppance but more importantly he has created a problem for the club he plays for with his stupidity.

I can see the FA's viewpoint on this - they kept charging him and he kept on ignoring it and carrying on tweeting so they've increased the severity of the punishment each time. From their view, that makes sense - if he won't learn and is a repeat offender then they make their point by increasing the punishment.

I really do hope that now, after this third charge, he has learned his lesson and stays off social media so we can talk about what he can do for us on the pitch rather than his tweets. 

I believe he's agreed to stay off Twitter for as long as he plays for the club.  Third time in such a short period is rank stupid on his part.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, robf said:

In my view, I don't care about what bans other players got - Pope has only himself to blame for this one.

This isn't an isolated incident. He had already been charged twice in a matter of months over tweets. Arguably with the amount of tweets he sent out there could have been more than three charges. He had a choice - get off social media or continue to chance his arm with more "hilarious" tweets and pay the consequences.

He made the choice and he's got his comeuppance but more importantly he has created a problem for the club he plays for with his stupidity.

I can see the FA's viewpoint on this - they kept charging him and he kept on ignoring it and carrying on tweeting so they've increased the severity of the punishment each time. From their view, that makes sense - if he won't learn and is a repeat offender then they make their point by increasing the punishment.

I really do hope that now, after this third charge, he has learned his lesson and stays off social media so we can talk about what he can do for us on the pitch rather than his tweets. 

Very fair points Rob, and I agree entirely.

However, given the wording of the statement, this is the result of a particular tweet, isn’t it? If they’d said this is a direct result of continued incidents, then I don’t think anybody could argue otherwise. However, it specifically states it relates to one tweet in particular (given the fact they’ve denied the anti-semitic content), so on that note, I think it’s entirely unfair. If it indeed was a generalised outcome from all incidents as a collective, and they’ve simply worded it incorrectly, then I’ll be the first to happily admit the punishment is justified and I wouldn’t argue further.

Needs a bit more clarification for me.

Pope hasn't been on twitter since January and what was the point in issuing an apology and asking for his explanation of things a few months back if they were always going punish him like this. It would be better if they increased his fine and lowered the amount of games he missed to say 2.

11 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

(given the fact they’ve denied the anti-semitic content)

It would be more accurate to say that they accepted that there was no intent.

Clearly he had little understanding of the subtext behind the words he used.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coyney Valiant said:

I know pope should keep off twitter but a 6 game ban come on John terry racially abused Ferdinand on camera and gets 4.game ban but I suppose pope don’t play in the premier league 

Pope is a repeat offender though. It's different incidents but this is his third charge for tweets (and he's lucky it's not more judging by some of the other things he tweeted).

I think the harshness is to do with the fact it is a repeat offence and in the FA eyes he didn't seem to understand/learn from the other two charges.

You could argue that Terry did something awful as well but he didn't repeat it again and again. If he had done I would imagine he would have got some monumental ban because the FA would have increased it for a repeat offence.

I think the FA are kind of saying to Pope... you have come to us twice before, apologised and said it won't happen again but it has happened again. In other words you've offered us glib apologies but not followed through. If the previous fines and bans didn't work then perhaps a longer ban will make you think again. 

I agree the ban lengths seem to be a bit of a lottery but for me - this isn't the FA committee's fault - if he hadn't have been an idiot on social media we wouldn't have to discuss the length of the ban.

I love Tom Pope to bits on the pitch, I just hope he really does learn his lesson now.

• Like 2