Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

6 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Why Ernie ? 

Who would you of liked instead . Can you enlighten me on our budget a player who can play Right back, midfield or Emergency left back who you would of signed instead ? 

Or maybe because Vassell was okay against us you'd of preferred him to stay and also Shalaj on the left instead of Lloyd ? 

He wont name any players as I asked him all through the summer.... I said with him obviously knowing what these players are on and what HIS potential targets would want wage wise then it should be easy for him to name who he would like

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Emile said:

Bad results will probably still come but I'm hopeful we can grab a playoff place. What an achievement that would be.

I'd like it on record were finishing above Crewe this year. 

I'd like to think so,Crwho have already gone ahead of us for home attendances, which hasn't occurred for a good while

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

On the subject of Gibbons teams are watching him and I believe one in particular are taking a keen interest

Any idea who? Hopefully we can keep hold of players like Smith and Gibbons. We need those young players to build a foundation on.

5 hours ago, Mario said:

Abject ? Really? Carlisle never really troubled Brown and in any game the opposition will have the upper hand for a period, where were Carlisle in the first half ? it's how you deal with it and I thought we dealt with it well,going on to win the game.

Great team spirit and the crowd was right behind them,more of the same boys and ignore the knockers.

Brown made a block when their player was close to goal first half and stopped us going to 2-0 down. He also turned over an angled drive from in the box second half. So in total he didn't have a lot to do but both of those were really good saves. 

Edited by Warren
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, For Us All said:

I'd like to think so,Crwho have already gone ahead of us for home attendances, which hasn't occurred for a good while

Only because they have had some massive away followings. 

• Like 1

We are not getting enough through the gate. But that is largely fixed at the start of the season by ticket sales and a season of achievement and entertainment is needed to build the base back up.

Right now Gibbo is hitting the best form of his career,  having come through a few dodgy moments,  which any league 2 defender can have. Thing for me is that when he does commit a ric, he is well supported by the likes of Legg and just gets on with it. He's also developing in to a bit of a hard man type defender who relishes the battle and is becoming quite comfortable on the ball. Providing that he continues his progress and keeps his concentration amid the inevitable speculation of other teams interest,  he will become not only a player capable of playing at a higher level,  but a high value asset to Port Vale. A must to keep for as long as we can. 

• Like 6

Right now Gibbo is hitting the best form of his career,  having come through a few dodgy moments,  which any league 2 defender can have. Thing for me is that when he does commit a ric, he is well supported by the likes of Legg and just gets on with it. He's also developing in to a bit of a hard man type defender who relishes the battle and is becoming quite comfortable on the ball. Providing that he continues his progress and keeps his concentration amid the inevitable speculation of other teams interest,  he will become not only a player capable of playing at a higher level,  but a high value asset to Port Vale. A must to keep for as long as we can. 
Excellent summary
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Old fort said:

I saw the list of scouts sheet at the game saturday and it was quite a lot. I know most were looking at Carlisle's Jarrad Branthwaite but Gibbo will be keeping them keen not to mention Jake Taylor is who the most box to box player we have had some some time. Hes fantastic.

Edited by sandyford_valiant
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Taylor and Burgess?  Aren’t they Askey signings?  That can’t be right can it?  And that Cullen bloke - wasn’t he an Askey signing?  And Amoo?  

I also believe JA may have had something to do with getting new owners on board......even more kudos if so.

55 minutes ago, sandyford_valiant said:

I saw the list of scouts sheet at the game saturday and it was quite a lot. I know most were looking at Carlisle's Jarrad Branthwaite but Gibbo will be keeping them keen not to mention Jake Taylor is who the most box to box player we have had some some time. Hes fantastic.

Beat me to it about Taylor. This last few weeks he seems to have become a player with a knack for getting into decent positions in and around the box. His awful miss against Stevenage or was it Oldham? His goal v Crewe all came from him getting into a great position in the box, not to mention his efforts from the edge of the box too. He looks a good prospect. Hopefully we can keep hold of him, but we run the risk of him going to a higher level to gain more experience on loan.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, For Us All said:

First 3 homes were the relegated sides 

Plymouth Walsall Bradford

Think 1700 , 1300, 1700.

Add on our 2300 to those. Apart from Plymouth and Mansfield the away support here has been none existent. Once everything levels out we will average higher than them . 

Right teams at the right time. We had FGR on a Tuesday night as one of our opening home games !! 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

First 3 homes were the relegated sides 

Plymouth Walsall Bradford

Think 1700 , 1300, 1700.

Add on our 2300 to those. Apart from Plymouth and Mansfield the away support here has been none existent. Once everything levels out we will average higher than them . 

Right teams at the right time. We had FGR on a Tuesday night as one of our opening home games !! 

Not sure if cup games are taken into account but they also had Villa at home which was over 7K for them.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Not sure if cup games are taken into account but they also had Villa at home which was over 7K for them.

They’ve just had two bad defeats in the league and have Morecambe at home on Saturday who will bring two men and a dog. We got just under 4,500 - bet they won’t match that!

• Like 3

On the subject of the crowd, it’s not just about numbers. Quoted in various interviews Carlisle caretaker Skelton said, “...there was a good atmosphere”, “They (Vale) had pressure and the crowd got up”. BBC summariser, and potential new Carlisle co-owner, added “Port Vale today, turmoil last year and you could really sense the difference in the crowd today. They really got behind it and they are in better spirits, that can make all the difference.”

Askey himself said “....the fans stuck with us.  That makes a big difference to us.”

Hopefully we can continue this trend and really ramp up the noise. The better performances of this season coupled with improved atmosphere will, given time, attract the stayaways and floating fans.

Yes, first and foremost  the team must deliver on the pitch but the fans also have a job to do off it.

5 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

On the subject of the crowd, it’s not just about numbers. Quoted in various interviews Carlisle caretaker Skelton said, “...there was a good atmosphere”, “They (Vale) had pressure and the crowd got up”. BBC summariser, and potential new Carlisle co-owner, added “Port Vale today, turmoil last year and you could really sense the difference in the crowd today. They really got behind it and they are in better spirits, that can make all the difference.”

Askey himself said “....the fans stuck with us.  That makes a big difference to us.”

Hopefully we can continue this trend and really ramp up the noise. The better performances of this season coupled with improved atmosphere will, given time, attract the stayaways and floating fans.

Yes, first and foremost  the team must deliver on the pitch but the fans also have a job to do off it.

Synergy is the word for it, greater than the sum of the parts