Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Momentum needs to be maintained with the return of the first XI to Vale Park. No half measures against a Carlisle team also with a cup win behind them. Will Cullen`s Trophy goals in the week move him up the pecking order? PO places now within our grasp to begin the New Year with, starting with  a  3-1 win for me.

UTV

13 minutes ago, mikey said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50402555

Pressley gone - hope its not a new manager bounce for Saturday

Another manager goes just before playing us... it would be fascinating to see the stats on this! 

Also a strange one as it looked like they had started a mini revival. Ignoring the checkatrade reserve competition they have won 2 and drawn 1 of their last 3 games.

Theor recent league losses have been against Northampton, Plymouth, Crewe and Newport which is a tough run.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Another manager goes just before playing us... it would be fascinating to see the stats on this! 

Also a strange one as it looked like they had started a mini revival. Ignoring the checkatrade reserve competition they have won 2 and drawn 1 of their last 3 games.

Theor recent league losses have been against Northampton, Plymouth, Crewe and Newport which is a tough run.

Too true its amazing how often that happens. You wonder if historically chairmen have looked at when his team would next be playing the vale before sacking the manager the week before.

• Like 1

Strange change at Carlisle indeed, took over when they were 6th, slipped to mid-table, big change round, takes time for a team to settle as we well know, but patience is not often found on a football pitch. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Could it be the reason why Nathan Jones was at VP?

Would not learn a lot watching our reserves

I have a feeling he may be in the running for the Newcastle U-23 job that Neil Redfern recently vacated.

I doubt Jones will be applying for anything until he sorts out his payoff.

By the sound of him on the radio and judging by that lap of honour he broke into after they beat Fulham, he needs to book a holiday somewhere first and foremost.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Santa said:

I doubt Jones will be applying for anything until he sorts out his payoff.

By the sound of him on the radio and judging by that lap of honour he broke into after they beat Fulham, he needs to book a holiday somewhere first and foremost.

He's welcome in Burslem anytime

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Big game this, if Northampton fail to beat Crewe a victory puts us in the play off spots which would be decent!

It’s pointless beating Crewe and Bradford then not winning this in terms of progressing how we want so hopefully we can have a go.

They have a kid at the back Braithwaite so someone like Pope should be able to bully and use his experience on him maybe?

They didn’t seem great defensively on Friday and our high press should force errors judging by the ones they got away with in the cup against Dulwich but need to keep their winger quiet.

Anything less than a win would be disappointing and hoping we can put them to the sword and really push on now and keep the buzz going.

• Haha 1

They have the lad on loan form Scunthorpe who has scored something like 8 in 12 who is one to watch out for.

We seem to struggle more against teams that sit back and deny us any space. It’s no coincidence that we seem to perform better against teams that come as us.

Will they get the new manager bounce?

Will sacking their manager mean they play less defensively?

Will that suit us better?

One thing is for certain, if we don’t win, despite us only losing 1 in 11 before the game, some of the moaners will have a field day on here and some genius couch pundit will question Askey position!

Equally as certain, is if they do win.... those same couch pundits will be no where to be seen.

UTV

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Walka003 said:
On 13/11/2019 at 12:31, Playa Amodores said:

I have a feeling he may be in the running for the Newcastle U-23 job that Neil Redfern recently vacated.

I know he didn't perform at Sjoke, from their perspective but surely his lower league record would mean he would be a decent  candidate for any League 1 or 2 managers post. 

The Carlisle fans really don’t like Ritchie Bennett... Their forum is full of people sl*gging him off saying he is useless.

First name of the team sheet if I was JA.... go and show them son!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

The Carlisle fans really don’t like Ritchie Bennett... Their forum is full of people sl*gging him off saying he is useless.

First name of the team sheet if I was JA.... go and show them son!!

I can't really see Cullen replacing Barnett or Pope as the starter because  we are a short team, particularly without Crookes at the back. We need one of them when defending corners.

Saturday’s referee is Martin Coy, who somehow  managed to miss a Newport County defender playing volleyball in his own penalty area last year. I hope he’s a stronger prescription this year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Santa said:

Saturday’s referee is Martin Coy, who somehow  managed to miss a Newport County defender playing volleyball in his own penalty area last year. I hope he’s a stronger prescription this year. 

Makes a change from a new recruit, whether he has learnt much is a different matter.