onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

May on the way??

Jacko51

He’s got everything to lose and nothing to gain by doing a live debate, they will all be gunning for him as he is the clear favourite. I don’t think it would be good for the party to ridicule any future leader on TV. I wouldn’t do it if I was Boris.

Advert

He’s got everything to lose and nothing to gain by doing a live debate, they will all be gunning for him as he is the clear favourite. I don’t think it would be good for the party to ridicule any future leader on TV. I wouldn’t do it if I was Boris.

And thereby hangs the paradox - he's damned from his own mouth if he takes part (he has a track record for this) and damned by everybody else if he doesn't. Which is it to be Boris?

Pity that we couldn't fix it for him to be questioned by Nazanin Zaghari Ratcliffe - after all, Boris said she was 'training journalists'. I hope the time will come.

Boris has accepted the BBC on Tuesday. That will come after the second round of voting when the number of candidates will be 4 or 5 remaining if no more drop out voluntarily. He may decline the Channel 4 event on Sunday because he doesn't like the format and because he thinks having too many candidates on show just causing a rough house event that puts the public off etc. To me I only want to see the - more or less - final contenders.

To some extent this is for people other than Tory party members because Boris is going to walk this vote with them. I would expect him to get 80-90% of the vote.

He may decline the Channel 4 event on Sunday because he doesn't like the format and because he thinks having too many candidates on show just causing a rough house event that puts the public off etc. To me I only want to see the - more or less - final contenders.

Whatever his positives are, I'm not sure he's bothered about the public being "put off". The way he wins a general election is by trading on his carefully crafted persona over many years. And facing a crap opposition.

The manner in which Lyndon Crosby has kept Boris under wraps during this campaign is fascinating. It looks very much like he has serious concerns about whether his man can be trusted when allowed into the public domain. That may well mean Boris will win the leadership but will Crosby be there to control Boris when/if he is in No. 10? His performance as Foreign Secretary was dreadful. How will he perform when in an even more important job?

The manner in which Lyndon Crosby has kept Boris under wraps during this campaign is fascinating. It looks very much like he has serious concerns about whether his man can be trusted when allowed into the public domain. That may well mean Boris will win the leadership but will Crosby be there to control Boris when/if he is in No. 10? His performance as Foreign Secretary was dreadful. How will he perform when in an even more important job?

Probably as badly as Theresa May and Gordon Brown.

The chairman of the Conservative Muslim Forum has told the BBC he will resign his party membership if Boris Johnson wins the leadership race.

Mohammed Amin said the MP was not "sufficiently moral" to be PM.

He criticised Mr Johnson's comments about burkas and his denial that he had mentioned potential Turkish membership of the EU when campaigning for Brexit...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48634858

Thoughts on this, Warren?

I don't like Women dressed in the full burka dress. As an accountant, masking identity in that means, I would need to refuse to deal with them as identity is a fundamental requirement in money laundering regulations. In law there are well established reasons for this being unacceptable. The same is true in appearance in any court etc. There is also a concern about security. This form of dress has been used by criminals and terrorists. Quick internet search found this example. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/6097521/Burka-robbers-hunted-by-police.html

To be fair that is very rare, but France has banned this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_ban_on_face_covering

I have a bigger problem with the subjugation of women in Islam, and this form of dress can be voluntary, true, but it can also be evidence of male control over a female. That is true in many Islamic countries where women are treated as the possession of men. Take Saudi Arabia as an example.

So Boris used some symbolic language, which conveyed a very clear message, but he is consistent with what many people think, including the French Government and Senate etc.

No case to answer. This guy needs to take the criticism and say why Boris is wrong, not nanny his way out of the party.

I don't like Women dressed in the full burka dress. As an accountant, masking identity in that means, I would need to refuse to deal with them as identity is a fundamental requirement in money laundering regulations. In law there are well established reasons for this being unacceptable. The same is true in appearance in any court etc. There is also a concern about security. This form of dress has been used by criminals and terrorists. Quick internet search found this example. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/6097521/Burka-robbers-hunted-by-police.html

To be fair that is very rare, but France has banned this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_ban_on_face_covering

I have a bigger problem with the subjugation of women in Islam, and this form of dress can be voluntary, true, but it can also be evidence of male control over a female. That is true in many Islamic countries where women are treated as the possession of men. Take Saudi Arabia as an example.

So Boris used some symbolic language, which conveyed a very clear message, but he is consistent with what many people think, including the French Government and Senate etc.

No case to answer. This guy needs to take the criticism and say why Boris is wrong, not nanny his way out of the party.

I'll go along with the 'disguise' argument; after all the BBC's John Simpson managed to smuggle himself into Taliban ruled Afghanistan wearing a burqa.

I remember seeing a statistic somewhere that it's worn by less than 1% of all Muslim women in the UK, and if true it seems a bit OTT to single it out as a danger to British society at large.

Ah, ok. So a member of the conservatives for nearly 40 years, who is concerned about Johnson's mockery of Muslim women and lies regarding Europe, is attempting to "nanny his way out of the party". Thanks for that.

Please forgive me if if I completely ignore your outrage regarding the racism in the Labour Party if that's what you think of the **** on your own doorstep.

Archived