onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Notts County v Port Vale

Fosse69

Another 6 pointer, but will it again be none for us? Not the time for pre-season shuffles, but surely a bit of inspiration from one of the unknown loan players would be most welcome, I can only wish. Gradual improvement may not be soon enough, a sharp shock is required but how? How fortunes have changed, seems like yesterday going to top division Meadow Lane and knocking Notts out of the League Cup, then 2-2 at Anfield in the next round, Oh for goals from Vanders and Foyle. Enough of that, heads up as there are not many chances left, can we put a winning run together, with a bit more cohesion in the team, only goals win matches.

Advert

Pivotal and probably the most crucial game in the history of this club.

Win and with our GD we are effectively 9 clear of Notts and potentially 7 clear of Macc (who go to form team Bury) lose and it looks bleak with Mansfield up next. Plus keeping tabs on Yeovil who have a favourable run of games ahead of another six pointer in a fortnight.

Notts County struggle with aerial balls into the box apparently... maybe one where our system might suit Pope but I think we will need five in midfield here against their key new signings Michael Doyle and Jim O’Brien.

Win this and the gap likely looks sizeable again.

Lose this and it’s looking likely to be the end of our hopes. A draw and status quo.

Don't you just love playing manager?!

I think for this one I'd go back to 3.5.2 and something like-

Brown

Gibbons, Legge, Howkins, Crookes, Monty

Kay, Worrall, Joyce

Pope, Harris.

I may be wrong (I was once in about 1976 :wink: ) but I don't think that Whitfield has scored an away goal for us ever. There's probably a better man than me on here with the precise figures but if so that's an amazing statistic and a compelling reason to swap him this coming weekend.

In any case, him and Miller are arguably more potent off the bench.

Don't you just love playing manager?!

I think for this one I'd go back to 3.5.2 and something like-

Brown

Gibbons, Legge, Howkins, Crookes, Monty

Kay, Worrall, Joyce

Pope, Harris.

I may be wrong (I was once in about 1976 :wink: ) but I don't think that Whitfield has scored an away goal for us ever. There's probably a better man than me on here with the precise figures but if so that's an amazing statistic and a compelling reason to swap him this coming weekend.

In any case, him and Miller are arguably more potent off the bench.

I agree we need to go back to 3-5-2 next week. Its a MUST NOT LOOSE game so I would be happy to sit back be compact as long as we can carry a threat going forward. Would expect more from Manny next week so would play him rather than Worrall and Miller rather than Harris.

Agree with the drop Pope scenario. He has just not been involved enough for me since injury. With him on the pitch we far too easily revert trying to hoof it up to him. Occasionally he will win the header but nothing ever results from it.

We should IMO go with Miller and Whitfield, with Elliot on the bench as plan B. Agree with the back 4 and as long as we do not have either Joyce or Kay anywhere near the midfield i think we may just about scrape a win.

Love to feel more positive but even scoring is a rarity, never mind winning.

MBE, I don't disagree with you.

I was presuming that Oyeleke was injured.

I don't think it matters much who partners Pope but my feeling was towards Harris rather than Whitfield because he's a bit stronger and more physical. Miller still worries me a bit because he plays on the edge, has a short fuse and next week is not for the faint-hearted.

He may not have been at his best but we really need Pope for this one. Our most experienced forward, top scorer by a mile, and only target man we've got.

Whitfield hasn't ever scored an away goal for us. Miller has got 1. Pope must play.

Smith has done ok of late, agreed.

My team selection was not a slight on him, just more of an effort to shuffle the odd one around in a vain attempt to produce a more positive result than the last four. Mackail-Smith and Stead will be a handful physically.

Massive game, and likely to have a defining influence on our survival prospects. I don’t envy Askey picking the team, it is clear we are a team devoid of confidence and ability.

The problems we face it that Kay can’t play in a midfield two, and we have very few options in that position. So who plays in midfield if we go 4-4-2?

In addition, if we play Pope in a 4-3-3 he becomes isolated because he can’t run and get in behind defences.

For what it’s worth, this is the set-up I’d look at. It’s probably not the right game to throw in the young loanees, but surely we have to take a gamble at some point. Midfield is the worry, teams just seem to walk through us. I’d try Manny in the holding role just to give us some legs.

Brown

Gibbons

Legge

Howkins

Crookes

Manny

Conlon / Whelan / Edser

Worrall /Hannant

Harris / Montano

Miller

Whitfield

Archived