onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Time for Aspin to go and this is why

Mattholl

Advert

I would try to give it to Micky Adams until the end of the season. He would steady the ship, is vastly experienced, knows the club, some of the players, has genuine affection for the club and even knows Norman. Trouble is I don't think he'd want the hassle.

He probably knows Norman too well to come back

Looks like Aspin will still be in charge on saturday

Personally I cannot believe he is still at the helm, after another more than woeful showing at home on Saturday, he’s way out of his depth!

When will he be removed from his post? Is there anyone who is still an Aspin remainer?

The main issues with Aspin, as I see them, are:

1. Favouritism - He clearly has in mind certain players who will play, regardless of form or input. Prime examples are Rawlinson (who until very recently he has shoehorned into whatever position he can on the pitch), Hannant, and Pope. All these players have to do is simply show up on the Saturday and they will play. Indeed, Aspin can be quoted as saying that he will never take Pope off barring injury. What message does that send out, to all of the players? Pope particularly has been woeful recently (though he's not alone).

2. Negative set up - It is readily apparent that he sets up to try not to lose the game. Admirable, but very misguided, as he seems to set up simply not to lose (i.e. so little thought, if any, is given to any attacking threat that we may pose). If other teams did as we appear to do, then we would draw pretty much every game (i.e. cancel each other out) but clearly other managers in this division, whilst watching us and obviously recognising our style of play, actually think about how to get around us, in behind, attacking approach, etc.

3. Approach to training - I recall that he demands a certain level and approach when it comes to training. Any player seemingly not 'putting it in' in training finds themselves alienated and dropped (though this approach clearly doesn't apply to players like Pope, who often don't train to any great extent to 'get them through'). Again, I kind of understand this demand, but it is well known that some players train better than others, yet can perform completely differently when it comes to a competetive game on a Saturday. Legge is an example. Poor pre-season, and by his own admission doesn't put it all in when playing in friendlies. Consequently not in the team for the first few games, but then came in and was a giant. Who's to say he wouldn't have been that way had he started the season. Others, like Gibbo, Worrall, Kanu and Miller seem to have been affected by this approach. Again, I daresay Messi would be on the bench if he didn't put it all in in training (presuming he could dislodge Pope, of course, which is not a given).

Apologies to any followers of Popelam who I may have offended with my daring to question the Prophet.

Watching the players shooting in against Hornby before each game shows a lack of seriousness. They seem to treat it as a joke with more shots breaking seats than the net. Dodds usually ends up apologising to folks that he hits with the ball. Only about 30% of shots hit the target and Hornby saves at least half of those. That’s why when we have 16 goal attempts, we get one on target.

Personally I think Aspin has to go, the question is who will replace him. Smurf will never poach a successful manager from his current club and thereby have to pay compensation. So we are then looking at who is currently out of work and available. The $64,000 question is why are they out of work and the answer is usually they failed at their last club.

Perhaps a more positive angle can be obtained if we look at Nathan Jones at Sjoke. Just lets say that he fails miserably and come the Summer he gets the chop. Is he a bad manager or just a lower league manager who failed in the Championship. If we took one step back and looked at his time at Luton he was a success for them first in League 2 then League 1. Would you therefore appoint him as your manager if you were a lower league club , probably.

If we therefore apply this logic to the current crop of out of work failed managers then Paul Hurst works for me. Took Grimsby out of Non league into League 2 ( my Grimsby mate said he would have him back in a heart beat).Because of this success got poached by Shrewsbury who he kept in League 1 at our expense . This was again seen as good management so got poached by Ipswich in the Championship where he failed and hence his current unemployed status. Recent success in the lower leagues and possibly the man to firstly get us safe and then take us forward. Aspin has set the bar very low, is it 1 win in our last 11 league games and no home win since Bury in October. Who would you trust for the next 11 games. Would he come, who knows. Interesting that he did a degree at Staffs Uni.

Totally agree. I think Hurst would come if he thought a) we were a club with ambition going places; b)he would be supported in the transfer market with some half-decent players (and, my goodness, he must know a few); and c) he would be properly remunerated. If anyone of us had the money Norman has, we'd do it in a heart beat but, the difference is, we care and are committed to the club. And, by goodness, most of us would do a better job compared to Norman's shambling amateurism.

So that's that then - we're stuck with Aspo.

Totally agree. I think Hurst would come if he thought a) we were a club with ambition going places; b)he would be supported in the transfer market with some half-decent players (and, my goodness, he must know a few); and c) he would be properly remunerated. If anyone of us had the money Norman has, we'd do it in a heart beat but, the difference is, we care and are committed to the club. And, by goodness, most of us would do a better job compared to Norman's shambling amateurism.

So that's that then - we're stuck with Aspo.

A few years ago Aspin with his record would have been sacked and a manager like Hurst would have been in our reach,because of Smurthwates pay policy and employment record we have no chance whatsoever..... No chance whatsoever So that's that then - we're stuck with Aspo.

I think this will happen in time but now is not the right time for our club. Our option should be

Paul Hurst

Cheaper alternatives

Kevin Nolan

Gary Johnson

But we all know it won't happen because our chairman will need to put his hands in his pockets for a proper manager which he's never done before.

Apsin Out regardless of results today or next week..... Norman ********** Out

Archived