onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Grimsby Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

I can’t believe how many people are saying the same as I was when I first heard the line up yesterday. I was so angry because I really wanted Aspin to be the real deal as our manager, but when you’re so worried about nullifying JJ Hooper, so much so that it forms the basis of your game plan, then you really need to stop and count to ten. Not one poster I’ve read on here, thought that we were going to get anything out of this game,after hearing that team selection, and it’s not because we were all playing football manager, yet Aspin must have. His opening summary on RS were just as ridiculous,when he said, that going a goal,down, so early on, meant that the game plan goes out of the window. How can he say that, with 89 minuets left to play, unless of course,the game plan was to hold GRIMSBY TOWN!! to a battling 0-0. His emotional interviews are starting to indicate that he’s starting to feel the heat a little and I’m sure that Norman may be having a quiet word in Sir John’s ear to do the same in Aspin ear about how to start winning a few games. I can’t accept that any success we’ve had is just because Manny is playing or vice versa, as twenty three other teams don’t have him, but the better ten team do seem capable of moving the ball around, without being a team of world beaters. Instead, what they do have is decent organisation and an ability to display what attacking options that they’ve been working on, on the training ground all week, something that we rarely see with our lot, except for the occasional haphazard final ten minute push while trying to chase the game when it’s too late. Finally, I , like all of you love our club and Ive hated writing this horrible assessment of our current plight, just want better stuff and be able to stick my chest out, when talking about The Vale and shout once more, “Goo Arrn !

Jesus, you really don't like Miller at all do you?

Should he pass more, most certainly he bloody should, but not as much as you continually make out. A striker with a clear site of goal, especially when its easier to shoot than find a pass through 3,4 defenders, will always take the former, more so as nearly all of his chances are self created, and personally I don't have a problem with that. My problem is the sharpness of those shots. But again, when a side creates so little players, all players, will snatch at the crumbs that come their way, and he certainly seems to be doing a lot of that doesn't he, but like Pope they both desperately need a goal. Hell ythe whole team needs some goals.

But the defeat wasn't down to the guys up front, it was down to the lack of mobility and awareness of the midfield, once again really poor defending and for the umpteenth time baly organised and negative tactics from the boss.

I equally can not believe that anyone is questioning Clarke or what he brings to the team, okay the goal came down his side, but the lad has been quite superb since he arrived and to say he cost us the game as some dope suggested is again utter madness.

Lastly even though I accept it will happen more when we are playing badly and confidence dries up, but why oh why are we always slagging our players of, because collectively I bet even the players are surely questioning the way the boss has them playing-if only out of ear shot

Miller has a lot to offer, but you can see why he is playing at this level. You hear it so many times - he could have passed the ball and that person would have scored - week in week out. He does a lot of off ball running, but this side of his game is costing us. Is he trying too hard to score and so does not want to pass the ball - who knows. If he sorted this side of the game out - he would be playing at a higher level no doubt.

Miller has a lot to offer, but you can see why he is playing at this level. You hear it so many times - he could have passed the ball and that person would have scored - week in week out. He does a lot of off ball running, but this side of his game is costing us. Is he trying too hard to score and so does not want to pass the ball - who knows. If he sorted this side of the game out - he would be playing at a higher level no doubt.

Ricky's decision making is his downfall but I believe he can overcome this to become a top striker in this league.

Creating chances is our biggest problem once again and I can't honestly remember our last midfielder to hold this honour?

So if Miller changes his game and in stead of having a shot makes a pass in the box who is going to get on the end of it Pope is a far post player, midfield to far back not supporting front two so called wide men who don't get in the box his pass could be cut out by the other teams defenders it would then be Miller should have had a shoot that was a poor pass he can not win. if a player as a shot from well outside the box its a good try.

So if Miller changes his game and in stead of having a shot makes a pass in the box who is going to get on the end of it Pope is a far post player, midfield to far back not supporting front two so called wide men who don't get in the box his pass could be cut out by the other teams defenders it would then be Miller should have had a shoot that was a poor pass he can not win. if a player as a shot from well outside the box its a good try.

Ricky had a great chance on Saturday to play Popey in for a tap in but once again he made the wrong decision.He's certainly got potential but as Popey said in an interview at the beginning of the season he's "brain dead"?

There's obviously no set-in-stone rules on when to pass and when to shoot....there's a decision to make, and his stats prove he's making the wrong decision often.

He's definitely a handful for the opposition but he MUST play the ball to better-placed team mates more often.

People likening Aspo's away tactics to Pulisball are nearly accurate; peak Pulisball utilised wingers like Etherington and Pennant.

Bar Whitfield the squad had a genuine dearth of pace going forward, meaning he if doesn't play/doesn't play well then we look ponderous and static. Manny offers mobility but we can't rely on his fitness.

The problem with Ricky is that he's already 29. It's not as if he's a young lad learning the game. If he hasn't learnt to play with his head up and pass the bloody ball on occasions by now you wonder if he ever will.

Sometimes it looks to me like he spends too much time thinking about passing and that is stopping him from playing instinctively.

Sometimes it looks to me like he spends too much time thinking about passing and that is stopping him from playing instinctively.

Did Aspin see him play for Dover, or can access DVDs of him? Someone was feeding him there or a style suited him, surely worth a look. Could Posh get him to score?

Did Aspin see him play for Dover, or can access DVDs of him? Someone was feeding him there or a style suited him, surely worth a look. Could Posh get him to score?

His partner at Dover was Ross Lafayette, a big powerful forward who was involved in a lot of Ricky's goals.

Its not slant on Pope as he's playing through injury but he isn't his bustling dominant self, and hasn't really been since he battled through his hernia last season. If we had a bit of depth I'd love to give the bloke a well-earned rest to recover properly, but we simply can't afford to, having to make do with Pope at 70% and a consequentially poor Miller.

Archived